Skinning Tutorial

A forum to hold the wonderful tutorials that are kindly prepared by our forum members.

Skinning Tutorial

BIG SKY BUCKSKIN
BIG SKY BUCKSKIN

September 22nd, 2010, 2:14 pm #1

Thanks to Michael who emailed that the photos for this tutorial where missing due to a Photobucket being removed. I have gone back through the photos and replaced them with explanation. Again thanks to Michael.

The skinning rig is portable it was made starting with a boat trailer then seriously modified.

This the wild game processor where I skin with the rig sitting up so that the animal can be hooked onto the rail going into the cooler on the right. 

This the back side of the rig with the wind break braced.

Front side of the rig ready for the first animal to arrive and be skinned.

First deer of the season was Whitetail Doe. Made sure there was tag which was taped to right front leg. Chain around both back legs and hoist away.

It is much easier to remove the head if the animal is at shoulder height it is easy removed with a knife at the atlas joint.

The animal is placed in the cradle for opening up which splitting down the back legs along the area of hair that changes color to the anus. Along the sides and down at the front edge of the front leg give a square hide when dressing.  Also at this time split the neck out.

The back leg is skinned and the leg is take off at the bottom joint so it can be hung by the back tendon.

The front leg is skinned down the front again where the hair changes color down to the leg pit then vertically into the brisket. The leg can be easily removed with a knife there are two joints in the front leg both remove the leg. Notice that it was skinned down to the dew claws this was order for a ceremony hide.

Animal is now opened opened up legs removed ready to be hung by the back legs for the hide to be removed. Note the tag has now been attached to the back leg so the cutters can identify the work order for cutting instructions.

The hide is pulled down over the hind quarters and round knob is attached under the skin with a rope on both sides.

Animal is lowered until the ropes from both sides can be attached to the rail at the bottom.

The ropes from each side are hooked under the bar at the bottom then the hoist take the animal up pulling the hide off.

The body is pulled upward removing the hide without using a knife.

Some times I have to reconnect but in this case it pulled right to the neck.

Clean skinned animal no hair for the cutters to deal with.

Down the rail into the cooler.

The hide is clean doesn't need any fleshing either freeze or remove the hair.
Last edited by BIG SKY BUCKSKIN on January 3rd, 2016, 8:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Melvin Beattie

Helena, MT

http://www.braintanbuckskin.com/

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

September 23rd, 2010, 3:25 pm #2

Very slick ...I see you have refined the " How to skin a deer with a golf ball" article which I first saw published back in the 1970's by either outdoor life I believe it was or the other magazine at the time.

But you are using 2 ..rocks maybe it looks like.
makes perfect sense..to have one on either side of the rear quarters so the "pull" will be evenly spread .
very slick method indeed..... minimal flesh left on the hide.. no scores on the hide..all the meat left on the deer.and a minimum of hair off the hide onto the deer carcass. You are right a picture is worth a thousnad words. Thanx for showing us you method of doing it. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

BIG SKY BUCKSKIN
BIG SKY BUCKSKIN

September 27th, 2010, 4:27 pm #3

Quills yes to the idea goes way back more than likely the same article that I read.

I don't use golf balls they are to large. What you see are two knobs that go on dresser drawers and yes by using two the pulling is even on both sides but must remember to get the neck between the ropes when pulling.

Yes there is no flesh left on the hide if it gets started right when pulling, then once home I either bag it and freeze or air dry, but this particular hide was a special order and you can see the front legs skinned to the dew claws. Back legs would have been skinned the dew claws also but the hock had been cut for hanging. Hair is being left on the legs.

It is in the brains today.
Melvin Beattie

Helena, MT

DSP
DSP

December 4th, 2010, 7:51 pm #4

That is an awesomely slick rig. Is it something you home built?

Ingenious process.

kunilemel
kunilemel

March 17th, 2014, 10:08 am #5

Too bad it's a picture-free picture-tutorial... I would really like to see it, I skin a goat or two daily and it takes me too long. anybody has access to those pics maybe and can bring them back online or just send it over to me?

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

March 17th, 2014, 11:20 am #6

there was a old outdoor life magazine .....or sports afield ...which had the instruction ...google skinning with a golf ball or skinning deer with a rock....

Mike Smyth posted a video of doing it ..here on Paleo planet as well..that might still be avaliable...he had his laying on the garage floor .OOGA booga Chief walking deer.....look up  older posts by him up....maybe if he sees this he can locate it ......and post.

You can do goats with it ..I did it back in the 80's when I had a goat herd.worked great...you have to use a truck or car to get enough power to pull off the hide.

I cannot remember if Melvin ( Big Sky ) did it with a truck or a rig..he built....to skin...this is how many locker plants now skin deer ....those in the know....anyway....Quills

Edited Dec 2- 2014 ....he did it with a rig he built ..it raised the deer and pulled the hide off with little or no cutting . Like I said up above you can do it by slitting the hide on the legs so the skin will pull off there ....you get the skin on the neck loose ( cut around the head below the ears ) and insert a rock or golf ball and using a nylon rope you tie that round the hide wrapped rock or ball.the head of the deer must be securely attached to something that is not going to move....then the rope is attached to your vehicle and you slowly pull away ....which strips the skin off the deer . any problem areas can be helped along by someone back by the deer .the key is to do it slowly and let the tension on the hide pop it loose from the carcass and membrane . It works very slick .You might be able to Google skin a deer with a golf ball.This is not exactly the way Big Sky did it though .He had a rig he built . Quills
Last edited by Quillsnkiko on December 2nd, 2014, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ma Tanner
Ma Tanner

March 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm #7

You Tube is a great place to look for videos. How to skin a deer with a golf ball, and how to skin a deer with a rock... If you can find the one that is how to skin a deer with a baseball, that's the best one.... Lighting is good, you can see detail. I couldn't find the baseball one last time I looked.
You can even do it with a ratchet winch if you need to...

But basically, you cut the skin all the way around the neck, down the front, around both sides of the genitals and anus. Then cut from first middle cut, down each leg to the foot. Cut around each foot

In the back of the neck, (nape of the neck) pull up some skin, enough so you can wrap the ball/rock inside the skin... Then wrap the rope/chain around a couple of times and tie the skin around the ball real tight.

Wrap a THICK rope, or chain, around neck, under jawbone and anchor to something sturdy. Then with a vehicle, SLOWLY, pull straight back from head to tail. The skin should come off in one slow pull.

Good luck!

Ma
I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. G. W. Bush                             ~~LOL~~

kunilemel
kunilemel

March 18th, 2014, 6:45 pm #8

Thanks folks... actually I do use a ratchet winch, flat on the grass (I can't find long enough logs to build a 4.5 meter tripod), sometimes it works great (today it did) but other times, especially with old goats, the head just flies away at a certain point, which leaves me with a short neck, pretty hard to tie anything to (but possible with some creativity and boldness). once I even had a goat split in two in the middle, just below the ribs! I just thought maybe this tutorial here would shed light on some unknown tricks that could help (two golf balls instead of one?). well, it's a good enough method even as it is, if only I am careful not to put excess pressure, and to help a bit manually with the front legs. just reckoned I could save some time.

by the way, here in the uncivilized Galilee golf balls and baseballs are not to be found - never seen one in my life. I stole my children's wooden yo-yo for the purpose. it works fine.

Ma Tanner
Ma Tanner

March 19th, 2014, 2:42 am #9

Maybe 2 golf balls, one in each shoulder area... 2 ropes/chains same length tied to one spot in the pulling rope.

Ma
I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. G. W. Bush                             ~~LOL~~

BIG SKY BUCKSKIN
BIG SKY BUCKSKIN

January 3rd, 2016, 8:24 pm #10

Bringing this forward thanks to Michael who requested the photos be replaced.
Melvin Beattie

Helena, MT

Tyrannocaster
Tyrannocaster

January 3rd, 2016, 9:42 pm #11

Thanks for redoing the photos. I wish more of the older posts could be fixed. Pretty interesting setup even if overkill for most of us.

BIG SKY BUCKSKIN
BIG SKY BUCKSKIN

January 4th, 2016, 1:12 am #12

Tyrannocaster wrote:
Thanks for redoing the photos. I wish more of the older posts could be fixed. Pretty interesting setup even if overkill for most of us.
I don't see it as overkill for the folks here on PP the same care of the animal can be take even without the electric hoist or cradle. The hide can be removed cleanly by hand using the basic set up of opening the animal up. So don't cut your self short that it is overkill.
Melvin Beattie

Helena, MT

Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

January 4th, 2016, 12:14 pm #13

Thanks a lot for restoring the photos! This is a great tutorial.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

January 4th, 2016, 6:13 pm #14

Great to see this back with photos...Big sky. Back when you first posted it I printed out the whole post.But you think I can find where I put it....Nope.LOL!~! So its good to see this back.

If one has a solid high point to take the deer up to you could do that with a pulley as well quite easily. I once saw a guy skin coyotes using a skid loader to raise the critter. worked great. Quills