Selfbow design excel workbook

A forum containing technical information related to bowmaking: Tables Charts, Graphs, Formula, wood-species specifications, etc.

Selfbow design excel workbook

Woodbear
Woodbear

April 17th, 2007, 8:13 pm #1

This is (supposed to be) a link to an excel workbook for designing selfbows.

There are two versions, one breaks a 1/2 bow into 5 circular arcs, the other into 10 arcs. The 10 arc version includes a semi-dynamic model of bow performance, that I think is suggestive of bow performance, but probably a bit optimistic. Both workbooks include a simple model of elastic & inelastic deformation (%strain) that provides a reasonable estimation of the set taking properties of the bow. There are also tabs in the workbook for computing moment of inertia and neutral plane locations for differing bow cross-sections, and templates for 2 kinds of wood bend tests. Both the workbook, and instructions are still work in progress, and I value feedback as to things that are confusing, or need improvement. I will try to respond to questions, and suggestions for improvement, but can not make any guarentees.

I have made a number of bows based on this sheet, and/or the math behind it in similar versions, with good success, but, use the workbook at your own risk, and make sure that any bows designed with it also conform to common sense.

www.flightarchery.com/forum/index.php?topic=245.0

Dave.

jkekoni
jkekoni

August 12th, 2008, 8:47 am #2

The link did not work, so I added my version of the former here.

The diagram is made open office compatible, otherwise it is to 10 point version.
http://www.perinnejousi.fi/keskustelu/d ... hp?id=1284

note to self. I still have not written the how to document in english.