by Lee Olsen
18 Jan 2018, 22:38
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

A couple of recent DNA papers and differences of opinion on the issue. Pro coastal migration: http://www.pnas.org/content/114/16/4093.full   "Despite regional shifts in mtDNA haplogroups, we conclude from individuals sampled through time that people of the northern Northwest Coast belong to an early...
by Lee Olsen
17 Dec 2017, 18:24
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

08 Dec 2017, 07:49 #74 > Australia wasn't visible on the horizon. There seems to be no genetic evidence of serious inbreeding (they are genetically very diverse, in fact) so it wasn't just an Adam and Eve situation; a lot of people ferried over. For that to be the case, it suggests a people who wer...
by Lee Olsen
15 Dec 2017, 15:39
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

08 Dec 2017, 07:49 #74 > I could offer the colinization of the Pacific Islands as hard evidence for boats, and further back in antiquity, but it would be no more valid. Your reply shows you don't understand the argument. If you don't maybe other here don't. The colonization of the Pacific Islands i...
by Lee Olsen
13 Dec 2017, 20:08
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> All that "hard" evidence, links to which you have so copiously scattered throughout your argument, is from a time thousands of years after securely dated sites well below the reach of the ice. The only old inland site you offered (Swan Point) is totally irrelevant, being no older than securely dat...
by Lee Olsen
13 Dec 2017, 18:05
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

More on sailing around the Mediterranean Sea out of sight of land. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/that-other-theory-of-how-humans-got-to-the-america-t16493.html See post #46 the alleged boats and sails turned out to be a symbol, not a boat or sail" "As expected they confirmed that ...
by Lee Olsen
13 Dec 2017, 13:59
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> That you will not accept any of this is pretty much a given but I'll submit it anyway.  Someone else might find it of interest. That someone else will find science fiction of more interest  than dry, boring, and stale  old peer-reviewed journal papers  doesn't surprise me in the least.  Just look ...
by Lee Olsen
11 Dec 2017, 16:46
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

08 Dec 2017, 07:49 #74 > And, just 'cause there's lots of clams you figure they wouldn't even want utilize other marine resources like seals and whales? C'mon. That's no argument." When *just clams* were previously challenged, I posted 7 links to seals, whales, and walruses being utiized onshore, n...
by Lee Olsen
11 Dec 2017, 01:35
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

Time out! I was just reading at a review article tonight  on Out of Africa in Science: Bae et al., Science 358, eaai9067 (2017) 8 December 2017 "For example, it is often assumed that only modern humans were capable of using watercraft and navigating to distant locations such as Australia and the Jap...
by Lee Olsen
10 Dec 2017, 20:52
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

"There are several aspects of islands which interest us archaeologically. One is the obvious relationship between islands and maritime technology. It is now well known that Australia was colonised at least 40,000, and possibly 60,000, years ago, and that that colonisation must have involved sea cros...
by Lee Olsen
09 Dec 2017, 13:04
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> WW: Pay no attention to Lee's bombasticness. He's like that sometimes. Your newness to the forum has no bearing on your ability to read and comprehend. I made a comment on politeness, you ignored that and replaced it with spin that has nothing to do with my comment, so thanks for proving my point....
by Lee Olsen
08 Dec 2017, 13:44
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

20 Nov 2017 21:40 #41 1) "Apples and oranges, Lee, but the field is yours." 07 Dec 2017 23:49 #74 2) "hereafter I will leave the thread" 3) “Look twice at a two-faced man." — Chief Joseph 4) http://www.orleanscdc.com/forms/cdc/jury_instructions.pdf "Don't decide any fact until you have considered a...
by Lee Olsen
07 Dec 2017, 18:29
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

Post # 32 "Those familiar with their environment are able to utilize it both efficiently and safely." I'm not trying to argue there were no chuck holes in the over-the-ice highway, there most certainly were. Rather I'm trying to get across the most parsimonious odds for the least hazzardous route an...
by Lee Olsen
06 Dec 2017, 14:09
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> "avoided comment"? WTF, I just got here a few days ago, and have only posted a couple of times When I started posting on other forums (about 17 or 18 years ago) it was considered impolite for newbies to comment on recent posts before familiarizing themselves with all the old posts in a thread so t...
by Lee Olsen
06 Dec 2017, 04:16
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> Just read back thru the thread some. And seem to have avoided comment on the most difficult questions and points: 1) Hard evidence in site reports from the interior and coast of Alaska demonstrates people were fully aware of the interior (and traveled over interior ice) thousands of years before e...
by Lee Olsen
05 Dec 2017, 21:21
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

More on Post # 38  > but your argument implies that if clams are available then there is no need for boats. OK so far. >The point I thought was obvious is that if there are boats today and well back into the past, along with hard evidence for such that you seem to require for what you consider oppos...
by Lee Olsen
05 Dec 2017, 17:44
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> At any rate, I don't think that it was the authors intent to convince, as much as suggest that speculation has its place in the absence of compelling data. Thank you for the input. I think you just explained why I either didn't read the paper or forgot I'd seen it. Nothing wrong with starting a hy...
by Lee Olsen
04 Dec 2017, 21:16
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

"My sole experiment is in watching 8 of my wood carvings rotting in the weather."  yes, RV. our view is constrained. Lee, have you seen? Where was the PaleoAmerind standstill? Michael K.Faught https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1040618216312630#! My obsidian denticulates for woodwor...
by Lee Olsen
04 Dec 2017, 20:35
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> Dugout canoes don't use outboard motors.  Noisy hunters are vegans. https://i1.wp.com/www.animals24-7.org/wp-content/uploads/20150310_213610.jpg?resize=300%2C168 I don't think the Makah will agree with you on the noise issue (the photo showing both traditional canoes and a modern out board for the...
by Lee Olsen
04 Dec 2017, 18:31
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

> FN varied in their use of boats, can't generalize even with the communities found in the interior of BC.  They did everything. Including use of outboard motors and snowmobiles. The issue is when, not what they were doing thousands of years after what their ancestors were doing inland. > The most r...
by Lee Olsen
04 Dec 2017, 13:59
Forum: Archaeology/Anthropology Forum
Topic: New Research On "Ice Free Corridor"
Replies: 86
Views: 2.5K

Re: New Research On

A review so far.  I've been told the First Nation people on the coast today don't like roads, they had to have boats to travel.  The Canadian Ice Man and obsidian from Mt. Edziza proves different. I was told there were big rivers to cross. I provided photographic evidence boats were not necessary to...