One of these days.

Rowjimmy
Rowjimmy

August 8th, 2018, 11:58 am #1

I'm going to finish this. I would like to take it to a master such as Curtis so I could see where he puts his platforms. But he is so far away. Just a picture before it does the cell thing and splits🙂. I have it all messed up no good ridges and a stack started in middle... ch
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

August 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm #2

That's not messed up. You have some nice flaking on it. Do you have any knapper close by? If so, get with him and let him give you a few pointers as you work on it. I would be glad to help, but I'm not too far from Curtis.

WA

WIoutdoorguy
WIoutdoorguy

August 8th, 2018, 1:36 pm #3

I hope you have success with it. Please post pics of the results and an explanation of how you attacked it. I have a piece of Georgetown about the same size that I did the same thing to. Same as you, I set it aside and am still waiting scratching my head about how to finish it. So any advice would be more than welcome.

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

August 8th, 2018, 2:01 pm #4

shooting them in flat and hard on a biface that's still kind of thick and is six inches wide or so tends to insure problems unless the further reduction phases go back to edge thickening, ridge creation, and adding back a bit of convexity until you get closer to the max width at which you can reliably drive *every* flake a bit past the midline of the face. most can't drive thin, flat flakes more than an inch and a half, so that would make it impossible for them to make a clean, three-inch-wide thin biface.

the mahogany platter looks nice. i'd probably keep it as eye candy and start another rock. 
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

August 8th, 2018, 3:22 pm #5

That sounds good. I have found that the vertical punch is great at solving some difficult situations. Eye candy is a great idea, but if you find an incurable itch, you could try your hand at an eccentric.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Win some, lose some, and sometimes ran out" - Kenny Roberts