OK, lets see your fire making kits!

Firstwhitefalcon
Firstwhitefalcon

July 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm #1

Pics please.

Forager
Forager

July 29th, 2018, 11:08 pm #2

I already like the notion of this topic as I'd appreciate seeing the materials which others gather to conjure this transcendent art.  I'll go first -
Fireboard and Hand-Drills.JPG
Fireboard of Yucca and hand drills of Mullein, Mugwort, and Goldenrod, (yes they are curvy but of sufficient length to spin true enough to form an ember) with my Cane foreshaft for when they get worn down to a size which I can plug in.

Tinders -
Tinders and Stone Prep Tool.JPG Juniper inner bark and Birch bark to shred and crumble for their innate incendiary nature, and a ripe Sycamore seed ball for its densely fine fluff.  Also a Dogbane top for its lengthier seed-parachute fluff, its long and fine fibers and coarse chaff, as well as its woody supporting stem for the initial kindling.  And a stone flake for scraping the Juniper into a light fibrous mass into which the others are kneaded and drawn into an airy ball which is eager to turn an ember into flame.

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

August 3rd, 2018, 10:46 pm #3

Forager,  What state are you finding the mugwort and goldenrod in?  Must be in a state that also have the sycamore and dogbane.  You try cattail for hand drill?   Cattail fluff not a favorite tinder for me. 

Forager
Forager

August 3rd, 2018, 11:57 pm #4

I am in northeastern NJ, where these local materials are common.  I have tried Cattail for a hand drill but I do not favor it (yet).  

When it comes to tinder we all have our first choices but will work with whatever is available.

I've used the Cattail fluff as an ingredient in a tinder bundle with graded textures from fine to coarse, but I always like to add ingredients which seem eager to burn (shredded Juniper, Birch barks).  I tend to think of the fluff as something which may extend and spread a modest ember, when appropriate airfeed is provided and the bundle is well mixed.  Having said that, I prefer Sycamore over Cattail fluff but will celebrate the manifold virtues of Cattail as an edible.

338 winmag
338 winmag

August 8th, 2018, 3:09 am #5

Great pics i'd like to try the mugwort but ours dont get near thick enough for a spindle in se idaho.

Firstwhitefalcon
Firstwhitefalcon

August 9th, 2018, 5:07 pm #6

My kit. Steels, ferro rods, flint, grass, char cloth, Vaseline and cotton balls in straw. and fat wood
DSCN8608.JPG