New DNA findings...Thoughts??

A forum for discussion about the fields of Archaeology and Anthropology - new finds, old finds, theories, etc. We have numerous archaelogists/Anthropologists
and/or students of archaeology/Anthro visiting PaleoPlanet...this is the place for them to intereact, and hopefully provide information to the arm-chair
enthusiasts out there!

New DNA findings...Thoughts??

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

June 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm #1

" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

June 5th, 2018, 2:01 am #2

I am always eager to see any and all new evidence, genetic and other, that relates to the history of our continent and the whole world. Unfortunately, there are some people on these forums who try to go to war every time any discovery is made. They seem bound to declare what the evidence can and cannot indicate. For anybody who has an open mind, things like this are fascinating. Thanks for posting.

WA

Lee Olsen
Lee Olsen

June 5th, 2018, 7:19 pm #3

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

June 6th, 2018, 4:35 pm #4

Very interesting Lee...Thanks for posting.  I deduce then that in the article I referenced...the authors of that article assumed skin color. Which Might not have been the case...her skin color might have been dark.

Also the picture of that supposed mummy, body at the top of that article....has nothing whatever to do with the article either.   Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Lee Olsen
Lee Olsen

June 7th, 2018, 7:07 pm #5

Quills wrote: "I deduce then that in the article I referenced...the authors of that article assumed skin color. Which Might not have been the case...her skin color might have been dark. "
That's what it looks like to me also (but I only skimmed through the Facebook article once). While this 2010 DNA study is getting kind of old
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... qqaq-inuk/
...note the difference between reconstructions of the man and the girl, they are as different as night and day.
"Also the picture of that supposed mummy, body at the top of that article....has nothing whatever to do with the article either."
Yeah, the DNA actually came from a baby:
http://www.nature.com/articles/nature25173

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

June 8th, 2018, 2:34 am #6

Make it clear that you are referring to mtDNA, mitochondrial DNA, which is strictly maternal inheritance.
That includes an important estimate of the rate of mutation.

nDNA, nuclear DNA, is the repetitive shuffling of the genetic code in sexual reproduction.   One of the main and useful improvements over the past decade is the computational capability for comparisons.  It's entirely possible to lose target alleles in a few 5-10 generations on nDNA while aboriginal ancestry is clear with mtDNA.

Lee Olsen
Lee Olsen

June 10th, 2018, 2:35 pm #7

"Make it clear that you are referring to mtDNA, mitochondrial DNA, which is strictly maternal inheritance."

https://violentmetaphors.com/2014/02/18 ... -americas/

It is clear to me, however, a bait and switch was made and the wrong mummy is shown in the Facebook article.
The Facebook article  reminds me of the claims made by the Asatru Folk Assembly  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 65ef2e792b

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

June 10th, 2018, 11:04 pm #8

Hardly journals of any repute but amusing.
There is a haplotype gene pool (mtDNA)in eastern north america 
which matches markers from as far east as present day Romania.

I don't believe it makes much difference who got here and from where.
The answer to "when" might mark an early excursion which became extinct.
Poor investment of resources.

Lee Olsen
Lee Olsen

June 11th, 2018, 9:23 pm #9

> There is a haplotype gene pool (mtDNA)in eastern north America

Hardly a journal of any repute but amusing.

claytonsattler
claytonsattler

June 18th, 2018, 12:26 pm #10

Kennewick man