Mullein Tincture

Identification, cultivation, harvesting, preparing, preserving, recipies, general ethnobotany... Disclaimer: Don't experiment with unknown plants, or rely on the information in this forum. Get your own information and use CAUTION!

Mullein Tincture

Newman007
Newman007

August 13th, 2014, 4:57 am #1

Hey guys and gals, today my first tincture was finished ! To those of you who don't know what a tincture is, it is a very powerful form of a plant made by chopping a medicinal plant of choice and playing it in a jar, the jar would then be filled with vodka or apple cider vinegar and placed in a dark place and shooken daily for 2-4 weeks. The tincture is applied by placing a few drop under the tongue twice daily, or a few drops in a glass of water twice daily. Tinctures are similiar to tea as far as properties go, however are much more potent and much smaller and quicker. Im not sure if tinctures are really appropriate for Paleoplanet however i know that they have been used for many years to heal people.

I was un-able to find a dropper bottle, so i emptied a medicine bottle and washed it, then filled it with my tincture and found a seperate dropper, obviously not all of my tincture would fit in the portable medicine bottle, so i put the rest in a small jar the stuff smells so strong of vinegar and im not really sure what else, however i used a few drops, it didn't taste horrible.

Has anybody ever made tinctures? If so what plants do you usually use and how effective are they? All input is appreciated thanks!

Jake

Ma Tanner
Ma Tanner

August 13th, 2014, 3:07 pm #2

Hello, Newman... :-)
I have no idea how skilled you are with herbs, and I definitely don't want this to sound patronizing, and I'm in no way doubting you're mad skillz, just wanted to ask if you strained it... Nano-sized spikes, like hypodermic needles, on the leaves, causes irritation in mucous membranes.

Great job using an almost forgotten, but powerful herb. I've not taken or made a tincture with mullien, but have made tea from it, both fresh and dried.

Usually taken for respiratory infections, or complications, it can also be taken for arthritis, ANY moisture problem in the male or female body, and even by those with chiropractic complaints.

Basically, mullien restores the proper moisture/mucous balance all over the body.

Coughs whether it wet or dry, from pneumonia, COPD, smoker's cough, cold... Sinus infections... Female dryness from menopause or surgery... Sprains... Joint/vertebrae out of place, it lubricates the joint so it will be easier to get back in place. I have problems with my collarbones getting out of joint a lot, so I make up a gallon of mullien tea and drink it all within a couple of days and it helps them to slip back into their proper position. It may take a week to get results, but it helps. Otherwise, it takes a couple of months to get right again.

I love mullien.

Ma
I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. G. W. Bush                             ~~LOL~~

Newman007
Newman007

August 13th, 2014, 3:45 pm #3

Thanks Ma, I too am a fan of Mullein. I am fairly new to herbs, however I do know the properties of a few. Of course I strained it! I tried to upload photos of the whole process but Tinypic wasn't working correctly for me... I do not yet have "mad skillz" haha however I am slowly learning. I like to drink Mullein tea as well, I like to mix dried Yarrow and dried Mullein to make my tea. I prefer yarrow leaves because the flower is much too potent of a flavor for me.. I hope I can learn a lot from this section of the forums, I sure have learned a lot from the other sections already! Forgive me if my spelling is off, I'm still young, 15, however no need to be alarmed, I make sure to do LOTS of research on a plant and how it effects the body, positively and negatively, side effects, etc, and when Identifying plants I usually spend about a half hour by myself to make sure every little bit of it is right and I usually collect plants that look like it too so I can make sure to correctly pick it out of a field, I also have a second set of eyes help me Thanks again!

Jake

PS, do you know if ginseng grows in the LP of Michigan, west Michigan? If so is it legal to harvest?

MartinD
MartinD

August 13th, 2014, 11:38 pm #4

I made a tincture of chaga last winter and used it whenever I would feel any sort of cold or illness coming on. I can't say for sure it's the tea or tincture, but I haven't gotten sick in the last two years. With one kid in school, one in daycare and my girlfriend working at the same daycare,all of them get colds and flus on a semi regular basis while I rarely get anything worse than a the early stages of a sore throat. It definitely affected my immune response as deep cuts would heal completely in a matter of days without any hint of infection. I was really very impressed.

I will continue to use chaga (Inonotus obliquus) in winter, because I feel it helps me stay healthy while everyone around me is getting sick. Makes me feel bulletproof really

I feel I need to add a disclaimer here. Do your own research, and I'm sure many of the claims out there on the net are somewhat, if not greatly exaggerated. This is my experience with this particular herb. Your mileage may vary.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

August 14th, 2014, 1:53 am #5

Martin ..did you use vinegar as well...in your tincture??

I've made a few with vodka....but never with vinegar ...years ago .

I've  got a mullein plant right by my front door . Be sure and do not use the seeds , they are poisonous.  

Newman don't worry to much about your spelling ..mine sucks.   Quills
Last edited by Quillsnkiko on August 15th, 2014, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Newman007
Newman007

August 14th, 2014, 3:33 am #6

Thanks Martin! I will definitely check out this "chaga", as far as getting my own research, I like to find at least one library book, and several sources from the internet as confirmation. Quills, I asked my mother to buy me some vodka, she looked at me like I was crazy... (I am underage) I'm not sure what you said about the seeds, it cuts off at " they are " I use whatever the tutorials tell me to use and what all of the tea recipes also use, I also make sure to check the properties of the entire plant. From the research that I did, apple cider vinegar is not as good as vodka. It seemed that apple cider vinegar tinctures will only last for about 5 years where as vodka tinctures will last forever. Your spelling is perfectly well Quills, my only worry is not using the right words and accidentally change the entire sentence doing so.. Thanks guys!

Jake

PS Quills, your forum signature, I like it, who is that quoted from?

MartinD
MartinD

August 14th, 2014, 7:27 pm #7

Quillsnkiko wrote:
Martin ..did you use vinegar as well...in your tincture??
 I've made a few with vodka....but never with vinegar ...years ago .I've  got a mullein plant right by my front door . Be sure and do not use the seeds , they are  Newman don't worry to much about your spelling ..mine sucks.   Quills
I used vodka. I've never heard of using vinegar, I'll have to look into that more.

Newman, I think she meant to say toxic. Mullein seeds contain rotenone.

Newman007
Newman007

August 15th, 2014, 1:05 am #8

Oh that would make sense, I was told the only useable parts are the flowers, leaves, and root for edible/medicinal purposes.. I also know that the leaves make good toilet paper and that the stalks can be used to make cordage, howmany of the leaves would one have to cut off to kill the plant? Should I harvest small amounts from several plants or just the entire plant? Thanks!

Jake

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

August 15th, 2014, 2:52 am #9

yep they are poisonous...this lap top computer sucks to ...it eliminates words ..some times whole paragraphs .I talked to a computer expert about this this afternoon and I was suppose to hit control plus x and some other letter ..but I cannot remember .and I might get it back , will ask him again when I see him .I did not reread the post before I hit post....I had typed poisonous .....but it went ..POOF!~!

I figured you were young Newman ....that's great that you are so interested in plants etc...this site is a good place to learn

.I even bought a bottle of Ever clear to make tinctures . the stuff tastes horrible as does vodka....how any one could drink enough to get drunk is beyond my reckoning. LOL!~! ..You need to show your mother the instructions for making tinctures in a book .....and assure her ..your not going to be drinking the stuff ....and give her the bottle to dole it out for you when you make the tincture .but taking it ..with the vinegar ...might be a good thing to as cider vinegar is good for you .Rice vinegar is a little milder tasting vinegar ..you might try that .I think its great you are interested in the medicinal uses of plants etc.

I sure wish ...when I was your age the amount of information available now was around . There was information around but not pictures and not to the extent there is now .Plus ...experts available at your fingertips .computers etc...are just awesome . really !~! Quills

Newman007
Newman007

August 15th, 2014, 5:02 am #10

Thanks Quills! I may give that a try, I'm sure that I would be able to find a sort of system that would work out with the vodka tinctures that her and I would be able to agree upon. I'm not worried about the taste, I can stomach anything, also i've been taking the apple cider vinegar tincture, 4 drops under my tongue, every day when I wake up and everyday when I go to sleep. I crack my fingers many times daily, and when I wake up they are always stiff and sore, which this seems to be getting better... I am not sure if it has to do with my tincture or not, I think it does, I sure hope so! Plants, wildlife, and primitive living has always interested me when I was younger, and still does now! I like to use the internet to do my research, but it tends to confuse me a lot.. I tried to post several pictures of my entire tincture making process but the picture loading website kept giving me a weird error and some numbers... I like to use the library too. I'm going to research "Chaga" next as Martin suggested, school is coming in a couple weeks ill be a sophomore, and I wont have all day to work on my projects, however I get to take global history which will be fun! Also metals class, we get to weld in that class and use very large expensive machinery, but I wont be on the forums as much.. As far as the Chaga I have seen it around I think, I read about it for around 10 minutes earlier when I had some free time, winter will be coming and I will need it, last year we had like 4 feet of snow... a whole week of continuous snow days at school, lots of colds, anyways im rambling on wayyy too much check out the atlatls section, I will be posting a few pictures of my first atlatl soon! Thanks for everything!

Jake

MartinD
MartinD

August 15th, 2014, 10:42 am #11

I find the best time to look for chaga is in winter. Strap on some snowshoes and get your mom to drop you off somewhere with lots of mature birch trees. Make a day of it and only harvest what you need, I tend to find more than I could possibly use so I just make a mental note of where it is and leave the rest for later. Some are hard to get to, some are two minutes from my house.

The tincture is fine, but the tea tastes awesome. I find it tastes a little like maple with hints of vanilla. I've also found that adding a little Hemlock varnish shelf (Ganoderma tsugae), which is also a very potent medicinal, adds a bit of bitterness and goes well with the chaga's sweetness.

All the best

Newman007
Newman007

August 15th, 2014, 4:33 pm #12

Thanks Martin! I'm really looking forward to finding some, I think I know exactly where to look, there happens to be a place near my house with a massive patch of Birch trees also looking forward to learning more about medicinal plants, thanks!

Jake

MartinD
MartinD

August 15th, 2014, 8:53 pm #13

No problem bud. I'm in no way claiming to be an expert on the matter, but I started right where you are and learned to identify different plants and their uses, one at a time. Have fun with it.

Your enthusiasm will serve you well

Newman007
Newman007

August 16th, 2014, 12:14 am #14

I will definitely have fun with it! I'm still quite nervous handling and dealing with mushrooms though, I was going to go try and identify some random mushrooms I found in the woods but I got a bit nervous and just walked around.. I think ill stick to simple things first, I even got nervous the first time I made yarrow tea haha. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for everything everyone!

Jake

PS go check out the fishtail woomera I made! its in the atlatls section

Ma Tanner
Ma Tanner

August 19th, 2014, 5:01 am #15

If it helps you with your mom any, my daughter is 14. Last year was the second time she had alcohol when she got a very nasty cold. One ounce, and straight to bed, completely covered up except for a little spot she made between blankets to breath out of. With the mullien tincture, you would only take a few drops... Not enough to turn you into an alcoholic. :-)

Ma
I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. G. W. Bush                             ~~LOL~~

Wolfeye
Wolfeye

August 19th, 2014, 6:32 am #16

You know, it seems that you can actually make pills that are herbal.  Not putting an herb in a capsule, it's actually made OF the herb.  Rosemary Gladstar mentioned it in a few of her books.  If I remember, it was at least in her Herbal Recipes book.

Ma Tanner
Ma Tanner

August 19th, 2014, 7:22 am #17

That would be interesting...

Ma

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

August 19th, 2014, 4:12 pm #18

yes you can and you can buy all the supply's..on line I am sure if you Google it . I have a great book ....written I believe in 1974...I got it right away then ... From The Shepard Purse ....tells the medicinal uses of many plants... how to prepare them , how to make tinctures, teas, ointments etc. How to distill medicinal suspensions . time of day to gather and season etc. Neat older book. Good pictures and drawings .Max Barlow is the Author. Talks about pills to. Capsules . Quills

Newman007
Newman007

August 22nd, 2014, 3:17 am #19

Quills you seem to know quite a bit about literature! I think I may need to start collecting some good books! Thanks everyone, the pill idea is a bit unusual and spikes my interest

Jake

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

August 22nd, 2014, 6:49 am #20

Newman when I was young ....I would check all these books out of the library . going to the library was a adventure for me . Trouble was ...I could never get the books back on time . Resulting in fines ..when I did bring them back .

I vowed then so some day have my own books ..so I could keep them as long as I wanted.

I actually find out now ...I have more and better books than most library's in the small towns around here . Turn me loose in a big library however ...like a university library or one in a big town like Chicago ...and you'd never get me out . HAHA!~! Quills