Moose billet

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 5th, 2018, 1:50 am #1

I'm sure this isn't news to all, but maybe someone can use it. I ordered a finished large moose billet from a knapping supply. I liked it and wanted some smaller sizes. The knapping supply was now out of moose. I found a small set of antlers online and made a couple small billets. Wanted more so, on Amazon they sell Moose dog chews. I bought 3. Made the billets today. Came out good. Now I have sizes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 5th, 2018, 4:08 pm #2

Thanks for the share!  The interest us abo guys take in pet store goods rivals that of our four legged friends.  :)

cnyle
cnyle

July 5th, 2018, 7:29 pm #3

Dan Rowlett wrote:I'm sure this isn't news to all, but maybe someone can use it. I ordered a finished large moose billet from a knapping supply. I liked it and wanted some smaller sizes. The knapping supply was now out of moose. I found a small set of antlers online and made a couple small billets. Wanted more so, on Amazon they sell Moose dog chews. I bought 3. Made the billets today. Came out good. Now I have sizes.

I saw some yesterday that were listed as pet chews, post back after you hit with them some to let us know how they hold up. I guess I would fall in the modern category of knapper but I’ve been looking into the abo. One thing I read yesterday that you all may already well know but someone had posted that if you soak your billets in some CA glue that it will fill in the fibers and lock everything together to last longer. Again I’ve not used any antler yet but I’m just passing along what I read.

Charles
Charles

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 5th, 2018, 8:24 pm #4

The antler looked fresh for sheds. Nice and brown, Ive hit some rock with them already.
They are as good a quality as you would buy anywhere. Keep in mind, I bought 3 billets. They are good. I can't say what
Any other dog chew billet will be like. Also on Amazon there is a picture of a billet/stem, whatever you call that section. But you can't pick the exact one you want.

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 5th, 2018, 8:27 pm #5

I have copper tools and antler tools. Also hammer stones. I usually end up using all 3 when making a point. Whatever seems like will work best at the time

cnyle
cnyle

July 5th, 2018, 10:45 pm #6

Dan Rowlett wrote:I have copper tools and antler tools. Also hammer stones. I usually end up using all 3 when making a point. Whatever seems like will work best at the time

I went back and looked for the ones I was looking at yesterday. They are on Etsy but I guess you would have to take a chance and get what they send you since there’s no way of choosing.

Charles
Charles

swataramike
swataramike

July 6th, 2018, 1:48 am #7

you got some nice billets....

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 6th, 2018, 3:07 am #8

Thanks, here is where I bought mine. It's the one that shows the raw bullet. From Alaska Enterprises

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 6th, 2018, 3:08 am #9

Look on Amazon, search moose antler