Tomas
Tomas

March 10th, 2014, 6:05 pm #221

Hello Folks

Have done a bit more research into the Paleo Sickle as a weapon and as it turns out there is good evidence that it was indeed a rather deadly affair.... perhaps the most famous being the Biblical Samson's famous jawbone weapon. It seems that the first sickles were the jawbone of an animal with the teeth replaced with flint blades (easy to make and repair). There are many examples of jawbone weapons (see links below) as effective means of defensive and offensive weapons..... many an agricultural device found their way into the armory of humanity over the years. If naught else enjoy the links and the rather cool looking ancestral artistry of these devices.

http://theapachetribe.weebly.com/weapons.html

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/h ... blade.aspx

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... zIXV6g.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95748923@N05/13064870433/

All The Best

Tomas

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 8th, 2014, 4:32 pm #222

How did I miss this! That's freakin' awesome, Caleb! Well done, dude.

Chris
check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

May 9th, 2014, 2:31 am #223

lol thanks man..i made another since then..i gotta motivate myself to get a picture :P

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

May 12th, 2014, 8:27 pm #224

this ones 24" overall. and made of some kind of hardwood

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 12th, 2014, 9:52 pm #225

Awesome! Is that blood on the handle?
check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

May 12th, 2014, 10:04 pm #226

it was some weird pattern in the grain, i usualy try to wipe all the blood off before its finished .

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 13th, 2014, 5:57 pm #227

lol! It's outstanding, Caleb. What's the length?

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 13th, 2014, 6:01 pm #228

[font='LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF] Made from a single piece of clear ash, fire hardened and coated in oil with a deer hide lace grip.[/font] [font='LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]
[font='LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]
[font='LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

May 13th, 2014, 6:16 pm #229

fantastic!

i had the best peice of hard wood saved to make a ball head club and it split too badly during drying, it was a bummer.

oh and its 24" overall

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 26th, 2014, 9:46 pm #230

[font=HELVETICA, ARIAL, 'LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]Used for countless millennium all over the world, from Africa to Ireland, this simple yet effective weapon is exactly what the name implies, a club made from the root burl of a tree. In this case it's from the burl of an Italian fig tree (thanks to Jim Cooper). Gorgeously figured and supremely hard, it has excellent balance and heft and just feels right in the hand. [/font] [font=HELVETICA, ARIAL, 'LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]
[font=HELVETICA, ARIAL, 'LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]
[font=HELVETICA, ARIAL, 'LUCIDA GRANDE', TAHOMA, VERDANA, ARIAL, SANS-SERIF]
[/font]

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

May 29th, 2014, 6:38 pm #231

awesome work on that one..love the colors

paleoarts
paleoarts

May 29th, 2014, 7:26 pm #232

Thanks, Dude. Just added a rawhide grip to this one.

palouseknapper
palouseknapper

October 19th, 2015, 7:39 am #233

its actually Italian prune or plum tree chris but im glad i worked out so well for you 

medicine maker
medicine maker

June 17th, 2016, 2:10 pm #234

Got an elk antler way back at a gun show. Cut it up and made my knapping tools as well as naturally formed an antler club thats nearly identicle to a gunstock warclub and functions much the same way. Nice sized 26" length.

skalla
skalla

November 19th, 2016, 7:43 pm #235

Here's a war club i finished off a few days ago

It's from a pretty heavy piece of Ash i've had lying around for years, plus a bone blade.  I actually used some epoxy to set the point in a slot.  I did this just as i hope to sell some of my craft work and i can't expect a potential customer to make running repairs with pine glue.  I'm happy hafting knife blades old style, but i need to practice/experiment a bit more for clubs like this before letting someone have a purely ppg fixed one.  The pine glue on this is just as a filler and accent really.

It feels great in the hand and swings real nice!

Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

November 20th, 2016, 10:59 am #236

Looks pretty cool, I definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that one.

Euell Peckerwood
Euell Peckerwood

January 14th, 2017, 3:02 pm #237

Not the best photographs, but I made a pair of Maquahuitls using 5 million year old fossil shark teeth.

One is made from Tiger & Bull shark teeth and on the other Requiem shark teeth are used. All teeth were found in North Carolina.

With the abundance of fossil shark teeth exposures in the Mid-Atlantic, I wonder if shark teeth were ever used as parts of war clubs in this area.

I've seen pictures of local fossil Mako teeth modified to be better hafted to spears, or unto heavy atlatl darts.

And it looks like they were used in war clubs as close as the Gulf Coast and Keys of Florida (figure 5).

Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

January 15th, 2017, 8:44 am #238

Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those...
Cool idea and great job!

Euell Peckerwood
Euell Peckerwood

January 18th, 2017, 10:37 pm #239

Thanks Michael. I did put a nice hole in my ear carelessly swinging the requiem one. Lesson learned.