Immature walnut hulls for dyeing

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

August 3rd, 2018, 10:39 pm #1

I usually wait for the walnuts to fall off the tree and then arm rassle the squirrels for them but some of the early fallers have thick hulls and are too juicy or green-yellow in the juice.   Whittled the thick hulls out from the nut and put in plastic jar with lid and water.   Will wait to see if this gets me a dark enough, suitable dye stock.  My guess is that it is best to use mature walnuts.   I give the squirrels the nuts and let them chew through to get the meats.   Anyone have experience with immature, early fallen walnuts?   Do pecan shells make a good dye or not worth the effort?   Got two or three pound sack of Texas pecans.

TXMP
TXMP

August 4th, 2018, 1:57 pm #2

I’ve used pecan husk for bark tannin, the shells don’t seem to have many tannins in them. Just my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

August 10th, 2018, 1:18 am #3

The day after I posted this I checked the water in the lidded jars and lo and behold the dye was dark brown.   Waiting to collect more mature hulls as summer winds down.  Will soak pecan shells and see if any usable dye results.

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

August 13th, 2018, 11:44 pm #4

So when a smoked and softened hide is ready to dye, do you have to wear nitrile or rubber gloves in working it in a dye vat unless you frame it and then brush the dye?   Some colors like blue and red and yellow and brown on your hands might not be to appealing to the public if it doesn't wash off easily.   If the hide is properly smoked, one shouldn't have to stretch it much after it has been moistened with the dye.           Will boiling down the excess water in a dye and then adding alcohol to it make the dye penetrate better?  If so, will the alcohol hurt the oils from the brains (or other fats or oils) and make it stiffen up if wetted?  My dyeing experience has only been with cochineal, indigo, osage orange and walnut hulls. 

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

August 14th, 2018, 2:35 am #5

I think pecan shells will yield more dye if they are crushed to a fine particle size. I don't mean dust, but just crumbled with no big chunks. I have unintentionally gotten some very dark brown colored water while working with the pecans I used to grow. Back then I had no occasion to use it as dye, but it looked like it would be good. The green shucks on pecans before they open and fall off the tree are full of the same coloring. When harvesting pecans, there was usually an abundance of those shucks that fell with the nuts.

WA