Hammerstone and antler pressure for this Burlington point

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

September 25th, 2016, 10:04 pm #1

jtester
jtester

September 25th, 2016, 10:25 pm #2

Nice point. You've inspired me to try abo. I'm interested in your flaker. Mine is just a sharpened tine. Yours and others seem much more complex. Do you see a benefit in the multi part flakers? Keep posting the good work.
Jim

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

September 25th, 2016, 10:56 pm #3

Thanks Jim. As for the pressure work I have the one you see ( Witch is just an antler drilled out with a smaller pointed end of a tine driven into the hole) the other one I use is a fork horn antler with no handle. The fork horn with two tines is much easier to hold than a single tine, it is also more pointed and works well for pressure notching. I started out with just a tine but found that it was hard on my hands when I built up much pressure. The one in my picture is much easier on my hands. I seen a guy at a knap-in using one a lot like it so I came home and made one😊

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

September 25th, 2016, 10:57 pm #4

Another thing with this pressure tool is, when it wears down you can simply pull it out with pliers and cut another tine to fit inside.

boletus
boletus

September 26th, 2016, 12:39 am #5

Beautiful point. Love the Otzi style flaker
-Jason

hada
hada

September 26th, 2016, 10:46 am #6

Nice. Looks just about right to haft on a arrow.

Indian Guide
Indian Guide

September 26th, 2016, 8:30 pm #7

I agree with Hada, that point can hunt. I like the last photo at the low angle with sun running down the length of the point that shows the flake scars...nice one!

nogie1717
nogie1717

September 29th, 2016, 1:52 pm #8

As always, fantastic knapping. Do you quarry your own rock?

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

September 30th, 2016, 12:02 am #9

Thanks everyone...nogie, I do collect rock but this piece was given to me. I have only heat treated one batch of rock I collected and I did it in a Fire Chief wood stove and covered with a few inches of ash. I got some color change but not to the extent of this rock. This one was cooked in a kiln. Most of the stuff I pick up I will work raw but with winter around the corner I plan to play around with the stove again.

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

September 30th, 2016, 12:09 am #10

And hada, I have never hafted any arrows but I do love to archery hunt. I don't think I have the set up or the skills to build a bow any time soon, but I did get to throw an atlatl a few weeks ago and it felt pretty good. I have been reading up on how to make them on here. It would be awesome to harvest a whitetail with something I made and also process it with a knife I made as well.....😆

jtester
jtester

September 30th, 2016, 11:54 am #11

BrewerMo don't sell yourself short, simple bows are quite easy. PP has a whole section on bow making and the posters are as generous with advice as the knapping folks. I've built two longbows out of boards and have a third one going now. My first one was a red oak board from Home Depot. It took a weekend to make and all I used was a jig saw to cut it out, a sander and hand held rasp for thinning and shaping, and sand paper for final smoothing. Shooting it for the first time was great. I've shot it 700-1000 times and it's always fun.
Give it a try.
Jim

Woodland Roamer
Woodland Roamer

October 2nd, 2016, 12:24 am #12

That is a fantastic little point and I also really like the angle of the second photo. Nice flaker, I have one similar that works very well. It's a section of elk antler with a portion of whitetail tine jammed into the pithy center of the elk antler. Alan