Fund Raising Auctions to Keep Paleoplanet Ad Free...

Knifesmith
Knifesmith

November 25th, 2011, 6:53 am #1

As many of you may already know if you read the "general primitive skills" part of the forum, it costs money to keep Paleoplanet running in the ad-free fashion that everyone's become accustomed to.  For a set amount of $, we get a set number of ad free page views.  Whenever you start to see ads, it's because the PP ad-free fund has run out and needs to be "topped up".  Tom (paleoaleo) has been shouldering this burden largely by himself for many a year.  A number of PP members have also stepped up to the plate and made donations to help out with this over the years (see the thread in the general skills section).

What I'd like to suggest is that if you enjoy spending time on Paleoplanet, and appreciate seeing it ad-free, that you consider helping out a bit.  If you've got wads of cash just sitting around burning a hole in your pocket, you can always donate by clicking the "contibute now" button located in the header on the main paleoplanet page.  If you aren't rolling in the bucks, you can help out by holding an auction for paleoplanet with anything extra that you may have laying about that folks here at PP may want (paleo item or non-paleo item that would be of interest to paleo practitioners).  I figured that if we can raise $ to send people to the euromeet and other charitable causes, we can, as a community, help support the forum that allows our community to exist.

I'd like to make some suggestions as to how anyone who wants to donate an item can hold an auction here on the trade blanket for this worthy cause:
If you're going to be donating an item, please put something in the title of the post letting folks know that your auction is for the "cause".  For example, I'm planning on auctioning a handmade knife, so I'd make a post with the title "Auction to keep PP ad-free:  Handmade Scarab Forge knife" or something similar.
To keep things simple as far as finances, the winner of the auction should pay by clicking the "contribute now" button and donating the winning bid amount.  After that has been done, the donator can send off the item to the winner.
As the donator, the terms of the auction are up to you, and should be posted in the body of the post.  Things like exactly when the auction ends, details about the item, any "reserve" or starting price, minimum bid increments etc...

Thanks to everyone who reads this, and thank you very much to anyone that can help keep PP running ad-free by either directly contributing to the fund, donating an item to be auctioned for the fund, or anyone who bids on an item.

P.s. Paleo-auctions?  Sounds like the ideal Christmas/holiday shopping opportunity to me!
Last edited by Knifesmith on November 25th, 2011, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

--------------
Eric Dobratz
Scarab Forge

Knifesmith
Knifesmith

November 27th, 2011, 5:12 am #2

Hey all,

I've gotten some requests from members to make the "auctions to keep PP ad free" a more permanent fixture, as it seems like some folks want to help out, but the holiday period isn't the best time to do so.

Good idea I say. So, I'll keep this post stickied after the holidays, and anyone who wants to help out PP can hold their own auction any time that they want. I'd just ask that anyone who is holding an auction for the purposes of helping out the PP fund, have the winner of the auction click the contribute now" button to pay for the auction. Other than that, feel free to set up whatever rules/limitations you feel are necessary for whatever you're auctioning.

--------------
Eric Dobratz
Scarab Forge