I'll be visiting Austin TX from Canada in the third week of April, and I would sure love to bring a bit of chert back up north with me. A little googling suggests that the nearest source to Austin would probably be near Georgetown (http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/ ... yvjAa1dXOU), but I was wondering about the details:
1) Is this source still active?
2) If so, is it publicly accessible? Or do I have to contact the quarry co. to get my hands on the flint?
3) If the Georgetown stuff isn't really in the picture, what are the local alternatives?
4) Any knappers based in Austin and want to get together for a beer, and maybe a break some rocks?
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Joined: November 20th, 2013, 2:20 am
Some of the best sources for Georgetown flint are the local limestone quarries. Unfortunetly its not always easy for public access. I've been blessed enough to have the opportunity to do some work at them. I'm in Round Rock just north of Austin and I have some decent sized nodules I'm willing to part with.
0 people like this