First Danish dagger of summer

Michael Stafford
Michael Stafford

May 30th, 2018, 2:13 am #1

Friends, now that summer has arrived in Michigan it's time to knap again!  Here's a Type IV made from Georgetown.  Staged it up over three days and finished it this evening.  11.5" long and one of my best efforts to date.  Hope everyone's well.  Best, Mike 2018dagger.JPG 2018daggerhan.JPG  

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

June 4th, 2018, 1:44 pm #2

That is some incredible work that most knappers aspire to make. It is also fascinating that their neighbors in Sweden focused more on the versatility and simplicity of a flake rather than the complexity of a biface. Forager shed some light on that earlier in another thread, if I have been mistaken or if it pertains to another culture in Europe please correct me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

nogie1717
nogie1717

June 5th, 2018, 10:14 pm #3

Muy fantastico!!  Thanks for sharing.  I love looking at your work, counting flakes and stitches and that glorious stuff!

boletus
boletus

June 6th, 2018, 3:24 am #4

That is so nicely made. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship. Are you self taught with those, or did someone help guide you to get to this point? Im just blown away..
-Jason

Michael Stafford
Michael Stafford

June 6th, 2018, 7:56 pm #5

Thanks for the nice comments guys.  Boletus, I first saw Danish work 30 years ago when I went to one of Errett Callahan's week-long classes.  The real help, though, came from watching DC Waldorf more than 20 years ago.  Dave was always very kind and generous to me and showed me everything I wanted to see.  He's a true master of the Danish dagger because he figured it out most from pictures of originals.  I was lucky because I lived in Denmark for many years as a graduate student (I'm a Danish and Swedish archeologist by training) and got to hang out with the best of the Danish and European knappers who were working on daggers and square axes.  Square axe production, by the way, is the real secret to successful dagger production in my opinion.  So much overlap in the two technologies and axes are chronologically earlier.   Hope that helps.  Best, Mike 

swataramike
swataramike

June 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm #6

micheal i think i asked you before...you are strictly antler correct...great work by the way some true craftsmanship

Michael Stafford
Michael Stafford

June 6th, 2018, 10:45 pm #7

Yes.  Antler batons and punches.  Hammerstones for initial reduction and a big wooden mallet for whacking the antler punches.  I use copper pressure flakers for the surface flaking and stitching.  

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

June 6th, 2018, 11:57 pm #8

Wow!!!!

WA

WinDancer
WinDancer

June 9th, 2018, 8:34 am #9

Very purty one, brother!
Dave

ndoghouse
ndoghouse

June 11th, 2018, 3:31 am #10

Thats as good as it gets! Awesome piece!

mickeyfree
mickeyfree

June 12th, 2018, 3:08 am #11

Wow! how many hours?

Michael Stafford
Michael Stafford

June 17th, 2018, 2:24 am #12

Sorry for the late reply Mickeyfree.  That piece took about 16 hours, including the grinding stage for the blade.  Best, Mike