Eskimo Style Pressure Flaker

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction

Eskimo Style Pressure Flaker

boletus
boletus

June 10th, 2018, 3:29 pm #1

I remember browsing a thread about these a couple years ago. Do any of you know what book this comes from? Have any of you ever made it? I'm looking to get some dimensions. I'd like to make one for abo and and another with a copper tip on it. I hate ishi sticks, they just dont feel natural to me, so I go hand flaker only. I use my belly on the butt of the flaker and lean in to it when I do the flakes with power. It made think of this last night. It looks like it *may* have been used in the same way. I believe something like this may work really well for my style. If you have any knowledge about them, I would really like to hear it.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

-Jason

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

June 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm #2

to me the back end of the composite flaker looks like it would be a good shearing tool. but don't remember what if anything i may have read about that particular flaker when i previously saw it online. 

ishi sticks may not feel natural but they allow greater force to be applied than can be done with a hand flaker, plus they isolate the wrist better from overuse. hand flakers are pretty essential for certain complex flaking but not for all types of pressure work. it's always concerning when a great knapper has to stop pressure flaking due to wrist problems, but that's one of the more common injuries that gets in the way of knapping, 
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

June 10th, 2018, 5:00 pm #3

Page 319, "Handbook of Aboriginal American Antiquities: The Lithic Industries", William Henry Holmes, 1919.  Reprints available from:

http://www.gustavslibrary.com/lithics.htm

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

June 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm #4

Sorry, should have read your whole message.  Below is the written description, with dimensions in the text above the picture.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

boletus
boletus

June 10th, 2018, 8:55 pm #5

Awesome. Thank you for the reference Hummingbird!!
-Jason

NewbowPA
NewbowPA

June 11th, 2018, 6:50 am #6

The entire book can be read online at:  https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... =1up;seq=7.