Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 3rd, 2018, 3:03 pm #761

One part of renting I won't miss is recalcitrant landlords.
They are not all bad but when one is trying to sell four humble dwellings for half a million Canadian funds
you would think they would be quicker to repair an easy to fix but necessary issue,the plumbing.
I am not a landlord and hope never to be one so maybe it's me who isn't thinking it out.

As soon as the holiday fervor dies down I will be taking a drive out to see that place.
Maybe another if there is time to do two cursory inspections.
I am starting to think the one I like the most is shut down for the Winter.
If the plumbing is empty I can't tell if it freezes up in winter.

I will hunt down and show you a pic'.
If you look outside the window you can see the neighbor's shed and beyond that the next neighbor's balcony.
That means they are pretty close. I will have city snow removal because of that,
which is actually a big plus almost a necessity as snow removal up here costs a ton.

I just like it when neighbors,I include myself in that,don't have their nose in their neighbor's business.

It is hard sometimes to see close proximity as a plus as ideally I would like a home in the woods.
I guess that is a fairy tale at least for now.

My respect to those who live closer to the woods.
Sometimes it takes a bigger sacrifice than some can make.
6836176_19566668_1.jpg

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm #762

Quills you made more than one apt observation.
The one I am now talking about is the soil type/grade affecting growth.
From what I can see under the trees it is a dry sandy soil.
If I want a garden,and I do if there are rabbits about,:)I will have to
truck decent soil in and compost a lot. That is O.K. I will probably
produce a lot of compostable material.
media (3).jpeg
6836176_19566662_1.jpg
6836176_19566664_1.jpg

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

January 4th, 2018, 3:49 am #763

when I lived up outside of Wisconsin Dells , WI...I had very sandy brown soil...with a few evergreens ( pines ) and oak trees. They are in Zone 4 up there.... 1 zone colder then I have here which is 5. I worked at a Goat Dairy for a year and used to bring home goat manure and compost it and added it and peat moss to the sand. The kind of peat that comes in a square bale. I have never had such perfect and  Productive strawberry... I planted egg plant and tomatoes on red tomato mulch...and had wonderful large long Japanese eggplants and great tomatoes...better then I get here in Black Iowa loam with cow manure and lots of organic matter mixed in the soil ( old rotted hay or straw). the interesting thing was ...one year I grew birdhouse gourds...they grew all over everything...went crazy really and when I moved back to Iowa..I brought a bunch of the dried gourds I grew back with me.I have never had gourds do as well as they did in that sand. It was so sandy...it could rain buckets and you could drive on that ground right away..never got muddy.I also did not have too much grass...cause it was too dry in the lawn part. It was more sedge's and sparse grass...so lawn mowing was a lot less than it is here. I raked up pine needles and mulched the strawberries with them.  I also started a sweet grass bed there..it spread all over within one year.apparently it really liked the sandy soil. I brought some of those plants back to Iowa. My yard there sort of looked like the grass in the yard of that house...but it looks like all the trees there are deciduous trees rather then any conifers. You do track in a lot of sand....even if your careful and of course the doggies do to.  One nice thing is its got a metal roof....on that house...very nice on a rainy day. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 4th, 2018, 6:03 am #764

Quillsnkiko wrote: when I lived up outside of Wisconsin Dells , WI...I had very sandy brown soil...with a few evergreens ( pines ) and oak trees. They are in Zone 4 up there.... 1 zone colder then I have here which is 5. I worked at a Goat Dairy for a year and used to bring home goat manure and compost it and added it and peat moss to the sand. The kind of peat that comes in a square bale. I have never had such perfect and  Productive strawberry... I planted egg plant and tomatoes on red tomato mulch...and had wonderful large long Japanese eggplants and great tomatoes...better then I get here in Black Iowa loam with cow manure and lots of organic matter mixed in the soil ( old rotted hay or straw). the interesting thing was ...one year I grew birdhouse gourds...they grew all over everything...went crazy really and when I moved back to Iowa..I brought a bunch of the dried gourds I grew back with me.I have never had gourds do as well as they did in that sand. It was so sandy...it could rain buckets and you could drive on that ground right away..never got muddy.I also did not have too much grass...cause it was too dry in the lawn part. It was more sedge's and sparse grass...so lawn mowing was a lot less than it is here. I raked up pine needles and mulched the strawberries with them.  I also started a sweet grass bed there..it spread all over within one year.apparently it really liked the sandy soil. I brought some of those plants back to Iowa. My yard there sort of looked like the grass in the yard of that house...but it looks like all the trees there are deciduous trees rather then any conifers. You do track in a lot of sand....even if your careful and of course the doggies do to.  One nice thing is its got a metal roof....on that house...very nice on a rainy day. Quills
Nice of you to remind me of the rain on a tin roof.
The barn I lived in for eight summers had a tin roof.
You ever hear a woodpecker on one?😮

I wonder at the deciduous trees myself.
As you say it looks like home for evergreens.
I wonder what is best to add to it for a vegetable garden.

I didn't know goat poop was such good stuff.
I can imagine your strawberries without a ton of persticides.😀

It is hard to keep myself in check. The place looks nigh on perfect.
With the way I run my life there are not a lot of options on where I can live.
I have to make sure the well is O.K.. The sewage system must be in good order too.
I wouldn't mind doing business in an outhouse eight months of the year.
I doubt if they would let you do that there.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

January 4th, 2018, 6:13 am #765

yes you will have to find out what the septic situation is...I would think if they did as much work on it as it looks like...decent windows, Partly fixed partly undone...a porch or deck on the front...they would have a septic system as well but who knows.  Only going and looking and investigating more will tell. Quills

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

January 4th, 2018, 6:20 am #766

Any kind of manure is good....cow Horse or goat....bunny wabbit. Horse needs to be composted...as its hot.  all of them can be hot if there is a lot of stuff like old hay or cornstalks mixed with it as when it decomposes it heats up.... sawdust is not good...unless its old rotted stuff as it leaches all nitrogen out of the ground as it decomposes. I am talking about real manure...not the stuff you buy in bags from garden centers...although that stuff if one can get it cheap....is good for organic matter. Chopped up weeds and grass also make good stuff to use on a garden.I use a fair amount of old hay or straw on top cardboard...to cut down on weeds. The cardboard within one year is all decomposed.It makes the soil underneath ..cooler and attracts worms and bugs that help it decompose. I've used newspaper as well. I did not mix that goat stuff into the soil...just layered it on top.within a year you could not see any of it anymore as worms and such took it down into the sand. Quills

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 6th, 2018, 5:58 pm #767

Here is my Net-Friend Seved's place in Sweden.
I presume what we see here are just the outbuildings.
Seved is an excellent knife-maker.

What I like about his place is it is relatively low key and
doesn't look like there is a lot of upkeep. Seved keeps a few
chickens so he can have farm fresh eggs.

In a little while I will show you some of his knives.
FB_IMG_1515253532104.jpg

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 8th, 2018, 8:13 pm #768

Tracker just had a nice walk.
It made up for the other days where he was leg lifting so much
I didn't have the heart to keep him out longer.
Now he will get nice turkey wing meat while
I decide on whether to keep the bones for a call.🤔

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 11th, 2018, 5:13 am #769

I just found out a friend lives pretty close to that house I am looking at.
He is a builder and so can look the place over before I go.
I am exoerienced enough to eye the place over but
an extra pair of eyes can only help me out.
Plus he confirms that hunting is very good in the area.
Both whitetails and large black bears abound.

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

January 13th, 2018, 8:28 pm #770

Tracker got boiled potatoes and carrots with a little bit of chicken for lunch today.
If I gave him boiled carrots alone he wouldn't eat them. But add potatoes and
the carrots get snarfled in the feeding frenzy. Add a bit of chicken on top and watch out.😮

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

February 11th, 2018, 2:53 pm #771

Hey folks,how are you?
Sorry I took off like that.
It is not that this winter was that hard.
We had record snowfall so maybe I am in denial about that.
I just cocooned for a while I guess.
Life was about entertainment for awhile.

What got me out of it is I thought I heard a bird chirp the other day.
Then Friday I heard a bunch of chirping coming from some bushes.
Sure enough there were a bunch of sparrows huddled in there.
Spring is on it's way.

See you soon

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

February 11th, 2018, 8:23 pm #772

I wondered what happend to ya Quest. Figured you were busy. Yep Spring is on its way....hopefully sooner then later. Ive had 3 male cardinals here and 2 females. I usually do not see any of them cause I am sort of in the center of a corn field and cow pasture...only 1 or two trees close to the house.But Ive planted some bushes and fruit trees and that makes more places for birds. Been smelling skunks to....an indication they may be breeding.Keeps snowing every day or every other day. I hope it quits soon. Suns got a lot more melting power on the south sides of protected places now. Quills

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

March 13th, 2018, 1:46 am #773

I heard my first Robin here yesterday. Did you ever go look at that land? Hows Tracker doing? Quills