Chaga

Identification, cultivation, harvesting, preparing, preserving, recipies, general ethnobotany... Disclaimer: Don't experiment with unknown plants, or rely on the information in this forum. Get your own information and use CAUTION!

Chaga

hada
hada

October 1st, 2014, 9:27 am #1

So I've been thinking of ways to drink chaga and for a on the run workday I've been adding it to my morning coffee grounds. Now someone said to slow cook it for 48 hrs.

hada
hada

October 1st, 2014, 9:32 am #2

Lost part of the post. Well I grind it to a powder to add a tablespoon to a pot of coffee. Does it really take 48 hrs to get the beta glucans out?

caveman2533
caveman2533

October 1st, 2014, 11:37 am #3

http://giveuppain.com/?p=968

Glenn,
I found this online, some good info in it. I like the blood sugar and cholesterol info.
Last edited by caveman2533 on October 1st, 2014, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Nissly

hada
hada

October 1st, 2014, 12:37 pm #4

Thanks bro I'll take a look see at it.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

October 1st, 2014, 1:09 pm #5

Steve that's really interesting about grinding it up into a powder sort of . I just read the first page ....where it talks about Russian vodka with it in it as well .

why not make a tincture with it to??

I've got a bag of it somewhere around here somewhere . I need to hunt it up and get one of my old grinders out and grind some up .

Hada that's a great idea of adding it to coffee grounds ..am going to try that . Soon... I am also going where the white birches grow, so definitely will be out roaming around in some to try to find some fresh chaga . Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Wildecraft
Wildecraft

October 8th, 2014, 5:02 pm #6

Generally, I decoct my mushroom powders for 15-20 minutes. I few years ago I was drinking medicinal mushroom blends regularly, every day. When I got tired of the same old - same old, I added cocoa powder and a sweetener....agave, molasses, or honey. With cocoa and a sweetener, you have yourself a medicinal mushroom hot chocolate!

Wildecraft
Wildecraft

October 8th, 2014, 5:18 pm #7

Try pressure cooking the chaga.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

October 8th, 2014, 7:09 pm #8

That is interesting wildecraft...I did not particularly care for its taste ...doing that ..might really help in that department . Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

caveman2533
caveman2533

October 9th, 2014, 3:35 am #9

In Pressure cooking the temp will rise well above what is considered safe, so that the benefits of the anti-oxidants and what not, would be destroyed. In the article I linked to above, the author does nor recommend making tea with water temps above 125 F I think it was. Pressure cooking it would be well above that by a 100 F or more. I am sure the tea could be mixed with something more flavorful, that would not harm or degrade the benefits.
Steve Nissly