Jamwatso
Jamwatso

4:13 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #41

Thanks The Dane.

The handle on that bow is a little too fancy for me... my experiment was how to try and age materials. Unfortunatly I think it looks a little like its made of plastic!

Cheers,

James

123Sharo
123Sharo

4:40 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #42

James, I like your experiment very much too! It looks like props of "Caribbean Pirates"

Your hands guys, created such a beauty!!! It is the treasure of the tribe!

Iliana

Jamwatso
Jamwatso

5:14 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #43

123Sharo wrote:
James, I like your experiment very much too! It looks like props of "Caribbean Pirates"

LOL... I've always thought it looked like a prop for a fantasy movie! Here's the rest of the bow,

James

attenurb
attenurb

7:04 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #44

James - I meant to also comment on that experimental handle looking authentic and I like it very much, but the whole (mostly) bow you posted that goes/with - it is even more amazing to me.

DaVid

Jamwatso
Jamwatso

8:04 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #45

Wow David.

That means a lot! I think your bows are beautiful! Truly works of art.

James

Springbuck
Springbuck

10:32 PM - Jul 23, 2009 #46

DaVid, I can't see why any bowyer would feel insulted by your work. I haven't the talent as a sculptor, and I am a tinkerer deep down, so I'm always, "Why? Why? Why? Why not?", and working toward figuring out and maximizing design, trying new things, etc...So we two are not the same, but...

I admire and appreciate beauty and art, and I applaud any cool stuff people are doing from any angle...

Woodbear
Woodbear

6:41 AM - Jul 26, 2009 #47

There are indeed some great handles shown here. I love DaVid's sculptured handles. DCM's handles are all very elegant, functional and well finished. Manny's stuff is also well executed and looks great with very simple materials. I hesitate to post any pictures of my handles, these handles by no means show the refinement of a lot of the others posted, but will post for the sake of showing the proportions of working handles.

The majority of the handles already shown are rigid and essentially non-working. I have come to favor working handles lately to share the some of load with the bow arms.

Here are two handles from paddle bows I have made. These are bare with no handle wrap. In the final form I usually wind the handle with thin leather "lace" leather "string".
Top is 54# @ 26" oak bow 58' long.
Bottom is 43# @ 25" ash bow 54" long.
Both are about 1.25" wide x 0.75" thick at the handle center.
Both are working with about 80% of the strain level of the main bow arms. (I like to have the handle work slightly less that the bow arms as a little safety margin)

Here is a picture of a similar bow, (41 at 25 , about 50 at 28) with a temporary leather wrap. The small black dot in the center indicates the bow center, and the large dot on the side indicates the arrow pass which is a bit high for me but matches style of the shooter of this bow. This handle is also 0.75" thick by about 1.25" wide, bow is 58" long.

Next is a modification to a "long bow" handle, originally 1.5" wide, and 0.75" thick. I modified it to 0.87" thick by 1.02"wide resulting in similar strain levels to the original, but a narrower, and much more pleasant to shoot bow. (46# at 25", 70.5" long) It only took 0.12" (3mm) more thickness laminated on the belly side to get an equally strained handle that is only 2/3 as wide as the original. The extra thickness means less bend (by the ratio of the thickness change) than before for the same strain, raising the draw weight by a little (46# vs 42#), and slightly increasing the strain in the arms.
( Please ignore the messy bench in the background. )

Here is the final bow showing side and front views of the handle.

Lastly here are a number of charts for the thickness and width of fully working handles for a number of bow woods. The top most line on the charts frequently represents a handle that is thicker than it is wide. This is an unstable condition and is shown only for seeing the relationship of width and thickness. In general, never build a working handle that is thicker than it is wide! Notice also that the handle dimensions are a strong function of the length of the bow: longer bows need stronger handles.
These charts are computed based on 50#, and 28" draw, with about a 6" brace. For higher weights, increase the width proportional to the intended weight. For lower weights decrease the width proportional to the decreased weight, (remembering not to with width less than thickness). For other draw lengths scale the whole bow up or down proportional to the intended draw length (length, thickness, ) then adjust the width to restore the weight.

Although not very artistic, these dimensions are sort of a minimum limit for handle dimensions for bows (depends on your wood of course). You can always go thicker, and wider for a stiff handle bow, but going much smaller than these dimensions will make the handle the weak point of the bow, and risk breakage right at the handle.

Dave.
Last edited by Woodbear on 6:43 AM - Jul 26, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

123Sharo
123Sharo

2:34 PM - Jul 26, 2009 #48

Thank you so much, Dave! It is a priceless info that you share here!

And you are too humble about your work, I've seen your bows - they look beautiful!!! Maybe you will post some photos of your Wintu bow's tips in the other thread too ? Those that "add some static recurve effect" - I quote your old post in the previous thread, few years ago.

Iliana

dutchwarbow
dutchwarbow

6:15 PM - Jul 26, 2009 #49

Dave, I guess that last one shoots in the 170's with 10gpp? looks like a real quicky

Nick

Griffin.paleoplanet69529

11:55 AM - Jul 27, 2009 #50

I like this one:

My first bow:

Taxus
Taxus

4:28 AM - Jul 28, 2009 #51

Fear is the mind-killer

Woodbear
Woodbear

5:24 AM - Jul 28, 2009 #52

Rod,

The basic purpose of the charts is to illustrate the relationships and trends regarding minimum handle dimensions as a function of bow length and wood type. If you are laying out a bow, the idea is to give some idea of how much wood you need to plan for in the handle area to have a chance to successfully tiller it without breaking.

Of course you could use the chart to get a safe working handle bow "by rote", but I prefer the term "engineer the bow handle".

Nick,

With Steve Gardner shooting it at 28" it would probably be in the 170s. With me shooting it at 25" draw and a static sort of shooting style, it still hit somewhere around 155. That was before the handle modification, I haven't chronoed it since the changing handle, but it feels like the same speed, except the narrower handle is much more pleasant to shoot.

Griffin,

Wow, what a great library of well finished handles, with a variety of shapes as well!

Dave.

dutchwarbow
dutchwarbow

10:18 AM - Jul 28, 2009 #53

hey Taxus, welcome to the forum!! nice stuff

griffin, your work is, as always, incredible smooth

steve gardner is obviously one hell of an excelent speedchaser hehe!

Nick

24hunting
24hunting

5:20 AM - Jul 30, 2009 #54

Here are a few of my faverites. Keenan

Keenan

123Sharo
123Sharo

5:40 AM - Aug 07, 2009 #55

Fantastic handles!!! Thank you, guys!!!

We will see maybe more?

Iliana

Mr Kinjo
Mr Kinjo

11:02 AM - Aug 07, 2009 #56

123Sharo
123Sharo

5:06 PM - Dec 11, 2009 #57

Such a great stuff here!!!

I posted in the other thread just a minute ago, and I'll paste the same question here:

May I copy-paste all photos, which are presented here and store them in a special album, so they won't get lost in the future? I need your permission for doing this.

Iliana
Last edited by 123Sharo on 11:21 AM - Jan 07, 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Jamwatso
Jamwatso

10:08 PM - Dec 11, 2009 #58

Sure thing!

wakolbinger
wakolbinger

8:01 PM - Sep 14, 2010 #59

40# @ 26" osage self bow

50# @ 28" Bamboo backed bloodwood

62# @ 28" osage self bow

59# @ 28" sinew backed osage recurve

61# at 27" rawhide backed elm

wakolbinger
wakolbinger

8:18 PM - Sep 14, 2010 #60

61# @ 28" ironwood self bow with a centershot-ish style handle I tried a few times

50# @ 27" osage selfbow with tortise shell inlayed strike plate

twin stave to the last bow, 60# @ 27" osage selfbow with more tortise shell

Penobscot self bow, weights go from 48# to 65# @ 27"

60# @ 28" bamboo back and belly osage bow. My first superlam.

52# @ 27" rawhide backed osage

61# @ 26" bend in the handle osage selfbow