Antler/bone punch notching

A forum for discussion by and for knappers who utilize stone, bone, antler, horn, ivory, wood or other natural materials - as our ancestors used.

Antler/bone punch notching

EphraimxGadsby
EphraimxGadsby

January 21st, 2018, 12:43 am #1

Would anyone who is successful with antler or bone punch notching mind sharing pics of their tools? I have tried it a bit with what are basically thin bits of antler beam and not met with much success. I have couple of worn out billets that I'd like to try chopping up into other tools but need a little guidance. Thanks!

ExG

nogie1717
nogie1717

January 21st, 2018, 1:46 am #2

I use the brow tine as it is usually hard and relatively straight. Here is one I recently made. I need to take some of the curvature out by filing the inside of the curve on tip. I’ll take other pics when I get home. A couple things that I would suggest is to make sure that your punch fits in the notch a ways. I’ve had it be fine when I set it in the notch, but be too big after it punches through if that makes sense. Second is watch your support. I’m really good at putting pressure on an ear and having the flake roll of the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nogie1717
nogie1717

January 21st, 2018, 10:01 pm #3

Here is the one I use more regularly. You can see the rounded tip and I set the shoulders on the notch platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medicine maker
medicine maker

January 25th, 2018, 6:52 pm #4

Very nice tools.

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

February 4th, 2018, 2:43 am #5

I struggle with notching. I did get to sit with Mark McDaniel and watch him do some notching. I did notice that the bone and antler punches he was using were thin the entire length of the punch. I always kept just the bottom of mine tapered like nogies punches. He also stressed how important it is to have a sharp platform for the punch to grab. I always seem to scrunch mine a little too much while cleaning out my previous flake.

dixieshedhunter
dixieshedhunter

February 7th, 2018, 2:07 pm #6

I use the killed or deadhead found spikes of a 1.5 year old whitetail. The bony plate is the business end. Driven with a whitetail or boxwood billet. 

Cheers!

PD

EphraimxGadsby
EphraimxGadsby

February 14th, 2018, 10:54 pm #7

Thanks for these images guys! The ones I have been failing with are thinner than all of these. I haven't had the time to try to make some new ones, but I'll update when I do!