And after some time, an elderberry bow

Pathfinder78
Pathfinder78

May 19th, 2018, 7:50 am #1

Well hello all. It's been a while. Been talking to Druid about bows, and he mentioned that Tim Baker was back on Paleoplanet. And we are known to argue in the manner when he says "I think this and this is because of this and that", and then I say "No, Tim Baker says it is like this" So I stopped by, and decided to post too. It'll be interesting to see who is still around, and what the new faces are up to.

Here's last year elderberry bow, it was sort of my return to bowyery after a couple years break.
Tiller was slightly off, resulting in slight handshock but nothing bad. 50#@30". Finish with my almost famous walnut husk stain.
r4.jpg
r3.jpg
r2.jpg
r1.jpg
r4.jpg r3.jpg r2.jpg r1.jpg
Buttercup: We'll never survive.
Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
"The Princess Bride"

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

May 19th, 2018, 4:33 pm #2

Pathfinder:

Beautiful one of a kind bow. Would you say it's length, width and related details?

Can you give us a step-by-step of your walnut-husk staining process? Fascinating how the eye searches for immages along the limb. At first glance it seemed like the Bayeux Tapestry.

What subspecies of elderberry, and where did it grow, and do you have a sense of its specific gravity?

reverseparking
reverseparking

May 19th, 2018, 4:54 pm #3

very nice bow and unique staining work. I think it would disappear in jackson pollock's studio. Like the finish and nice bend in it. 
http://europeanprimitivebows.se/

Pathfinder78
Pathfinder78

May 19th, 2018, 5:19 pm #4

Thanks guys.
If I remember correctly (forgot to note it), the length was about 175cm NTN, and the width at the handle about 32mm. Pretty high crown, with flat belly but the pith channel running almost the entire length saved the back from too much stress. 
As for the species, I identify it as sambucus nigra. I don't know if we have any other kind here, Druid might weigh in on that. It is our local wood, brush type environment. Relatively high moisture throughout the year. I think of it as a premium quality bow wood for these parts, along with magical prunus cerasifera which we thrive in too.
Husk stain is pretty simple to get: you put it in a container, pour water, and simmer on the stove. As the water evaporates, it darkens and gets to ink like thickness. Domestic, edible walnut yields a lighter shade of color, while the black walnut yields a shade seen in these photos. I apply to bow using a juice straw, pull some stain and then blow it out onto the wood forcefully from various distances creating the effect like shown.
"The Princess Bride"

Stalker
Stalker

May 19th, 2018, 8:56 pm #5

Cool looking dye even though I prefer natural yellowish look of elderberry. I just spotted this afternoon good sized elderberry sapling fitting for a longbow. Actually it has enough diameter so I think I will even avoid pith.

Btw, greetings from Croatia. Too bad there are not many bowyers in Balkans. You and your brother were an inspiration for me to start making bows 3 years ago.
Filip

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

May 20th, 2018, 1:15 am #6

Stalker:

A good bowmaking friend lives near Ljubijana in Slovenia. Not quite in the Balkans but maybe not too fare far away for making contact. If you'd like, message me and I'll give you his contact numbers.

Pathfinder78
Pathfinder78

May 20th, 2018, 7:51 am #7

Pozdrav Filipe :)
It is very motivational to hear you inspired someone.
"The Princess Bride"

Stalker
Stalker

May 20th, 2018, 9:10 am #8

Seriously, the amount of bows on your website and professional photography involved were a big deal to me. Most people can't make good photographs of their bows so their bows are not really represented. Bows of you and your brother truly "shine" because of good photos.
Filip

Stalker
Stalker

May 20th, 2018, 9:11 am #9

Tim Baker wrote: Stalker:

A good bowmaking friend lives near Ljubijana in Slovenia. Not quite in the Balkans but maybe not too fare far away for making contact. If you'd like, message me and I'll give you his contact numbers.
Tnx Tim, I might send you a message one day. I am currently searching for bowyers around my area (living closely) to trade knowledge and possibly wood.
Filip

French Crow
French Crow

May 22nd, 2018, 5:49 pm #10

I love these sapling bows and this one looks perfect. Nice finish work, very original.
Bruno

BillOregon
BillOregon

June 11th, 2018, 3:18 pm #11

I have been happy to see an elderberry here in south-central New Mexico up around 7,000-9,000 feet of elevation. It seems to be blue elderberry, Sambucus nigra L. ssp. cerulea. I have a small stave curing and look forward to working with it. 
Thanks for posting this, Pathfinder, and for sharing your very innovative method of staining with the walnut dye. Never would have thought of it.