2018 Autumnal Equinox PITH

nogie1717
nogie1717

September 5th, 2018, 2:45 pm #1

I love fall.  I know that I have to experience the heat and humidity of summer to really appreciate the cooler temps, but I think I would still be happy without them.  I've got a couple doves in the fridge and I actually wore jeans the other day.  It's the best time to be alive.  And it reminded me that the equinox is coming up and it's time to trade some projectile points.

We've had some smaller groups the last couple rounds, but the PITH is always fun.  I'm out of town for work for a little while, so I thought I would post this now and draw names on or near the 22nd of September.

1. Drawing will take place near the equinox and participants will be paired.  Sometimes we have an odd number of people join, so let us know if you're interested in doing more than one trade.

2. The people who get paired will exchange names and addresses and then send each other a point. That is the only requirement - ONE point. However, this is a unique opportunity to share local lithics or other wares with your partner. But, the one point is all that is required. So for new knappers who may not have a lot, do not be insecure about joining. The more the merrier.

3. The point needs to be something that represents your really good work, no rejects. You do not have to be a skilled knapper, but the point does need to be knapped from flint, chert, agate, glass or any other knappable material. It does not have to be any specific size. This is not a contest so beginning knappers are welcome. Over time you can collect a good representation of every stage of learning there is in knapping, and they are all appreciated, so don't belittle your results.

4. Please make contact as soon after the name pairing as possible, and then get your point into the mail ASAP. Procrastination leads to frustration on the part of the receiver. When you mail the point, get a tracking number and send it to the receiver so he can track the progress too. This is also a good time to get to know another knapper. It is nice to know someone else in the hobby.  It is even better when you find a person who helps you become a better flint knapper.

5. After receiving the point from your partner, please post photos of it so we can all enjoy each other's trades. This is supposed to be a little like Christmas. If you cannot post photos, please ask your partner to take photos before he mails it and then post them for all of us to see.

6. As has been done in the past, I will maintain the blacklist. This is not a difficult task - contact your trade partner, knap a point, drop in the mail. It does take a little time to knap and a few bucks to mail. If you don't want to complete the previous steps, then don't join the PITH. Not trying to be facetious, but I am a chronic procrastinator and I can see how it would be easy to renege. Please don't. I received the list of previous persons who did not hold up their end, so don't put your name in if you still owe somebody a point. If you do owe someone, send it to them, let me know and get back in the mix.  Please PM me if you are still waiting for a previous PITH package.

7. I do not contact your partner for you. That is your job. If your mailbox (PMs) is full, clear some space so we can communicate. If you can't, post something in this thread. Chances are that someone knows your partner and can get you the info.

8. If you do not get your point within a reasonable time, let me know.

To join, all you have to do is say....

I'm in!

EphraimxGadsby
EphraimxGadsby

September 10th, 2018, 4:15 am #2

well, let's get this ball rolling- I'm in!

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

September 10th, 2018, 8:35 pm #3

Once again, I'm in.

WA

willjo
willjo

September 11th, 2018, 12:01 am #4

I am in hate to see this fade out
A bad day hunting arrowheads is better than a good day at work anytime.

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

September 11th, 2018, 3:41 pm #5

I'm in!

nogie1717
nogie1717

Yesterday, 3:23 pm #6

Okay guys.  We will do this in a wheel fashion since there is an odd number.

The name on the left sends to the name on the right.  Contact the person you are sending to ASAP.  Go!

nogie1717 ---> EphraimxGadsby
EphraimxGadsby ---> ChippinTuff
ChippinTuff ---> willjo
willjo ---> Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon ---> nogie1717

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

Today, 2:44 am #7

PMs sent to Ephraim and Willjo.

WA