Moderator: Oru

The Never-Jungle

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

May 23rd, 2015, 3:17 pm #1

((Elena! A Jungle Adventure awaits you!))

Daniel Quarris reclined in the relative comfort of his tent. The remnants of his journey littered the space between him and the open flap. It slapped lazily against the side of the tent, a gleaming, bright window into the vast sunny nothingness beyond. He scribbled the last of his accounts onto a rumpled scroll and quickly rolled it and sealed it in a case.

Sounds of laughter drifted to his ears, and he smiled. Taking a moment to compose himself, he went to the narrow, full length mirror in the corner of his tent and gave himself the brief once over. His Hazelnut hair hung in messy waves just past his brow in the front and he vainly attempted to push it back up off of his face. His hazel eyes were clear of the circles that had underlined them for several days - result of finally a full night rest. His face had the barest evidence of stubble, but was otherwise handsome and noble. (A family trademark, honestly. He took his mother's looks, and his father's charm, or so he was told.)

He was dressed in worn travel leathers, a saber buckled to his waist and knee-high travel boots strapped in tightly. His jacket was sleeveless, and the front was pulled open because of the heat. On the edge of this Jungle it was abysmal hot.

A thrill of excitement powered the broad, endearing grin that swept across his face, and in turned powered his legs as he burst out of his tent with scroll case in hand. He Passed several other tents and an assortment of wagons and crates, and in the background was the looming silhouette of the City of Jun'hada. It had taken Daniel three weeks of sailing to arrive at Kira'hal, another two weeks to cross a desert, and then four more days to find this city - the city closest to their fabled Never Jungle.

He had read about it in stories since he was a boy, his Nan first telling him when he was five. Now, twenty two years later his father had finally allowed him to make good use of his inherited fortune to make an expedition to it's mysterious depths.

He was elated. The day was finally here!

He passed the scroll off to a weasley, over-sunned man with a red nose. He almost fumbled the case. "Lord Quarris, your applicants have arrived, they await your presentation just by the corral on the east end of camp." He tucked the scroll case under one arm and briskly tried to keep pace with the excitable noble Daniel. "Bradey will be going to you of course, as discussed with your father before our departure, and several of the guides from Jun'hada have volunteered."

Daniel smiled, nodding at men as he passed. To the left he saw the City - and to the right was a band of dense, dark green stretching along the horizon. Past that were mountains, trees, and a seemingly endless supply of adventure. "Excellent. Thank you Wieben. Would you mind getting that where its supposed to go?" He gestured at the scroll case and hurried on.

When he arrived at the corral at the east end of the camp, he leaned against the rail and observed the throng of people eager (or desperate enough) to undertake the expedition into the mythic Never Jungle - the expanse of lush jungle that has never been the same, where explorers have been famed to disappear for decades at a time, emerging at unexpected places. His eyes twinkled over the mass, grinning almost madly. After a minute, he cleared his throat and soon enough, he climbed up onto the rail to address them.

"Thank you All for coming! As you know, I am hiring dependable people to go on an expedition into the Never Jungle. I have room in my party for five more experienced ... travelers. I'd like to speak to you all briefly before I review any credentials you have with you. Lets start here, with you."

((I hope that's ok!!!!))

Shout out to all those players I miss, and the new friends I make.

Gigantor
Advanced Member
Gigantor
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2015, 6:32 am #2

((Only because that conclusion was so damn cool. I hope nobody minds?))

He pointed at Solomon with such sudden movement and accuracy that it startled him. He cast his eyes side to side hoping that he could duck out of view. Nope. He was boned.

"Erm, actually I was picking pockets." Smooth Solomon! He grumbled then started chuckling and kneading the half drunken man beside him in the ribs. The large man hiccuped then started to chuckle which quickly became obnoxious laughter. Thankfully most of the crowd was half drunk and were susceptible to the first man's laughter. "Of course I'm here for the cruise..." He smiled, making sure to show a lot of teeth.

Truth be told, he was on his way through town when he got swept up with the crowd. The hint at money and the possibility of warm food was hard to avoid. He hadn't decided if an expedition to a mythical juggle was hat he wanted. But there had been a time in his life where this would've fascinated him.

To the hells with it. This one is for you your Solomon.

His face was smooth like an elf but the round of his ears marked him as human. The long blonde hair bunching at his shoulders made people rethink if he might be an elf after all. What few possessions he owned were in his pack and satchels, his sandals were worn and traveled and he carried a staff, the butt ends were capped in metal. "I'm ready to go anywhere and I have a vast knowledge on plant life." He pffered as a peak at his resume.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2015, 4:13 pm #3

Daniel Let out a surprised bark of laughter when the man said he had been picking pockets. His laughter remained as a smile in his eyes until he got a really good look at a bulk of the crowd.

More then half of them were drunk. Not only that, but they were looking around with the interest of circus-attendees. He glanced across the throng, to a fidgeting Wieben, only to see him helplessly shrug and scurry off. That was no help. He'd known the locals would humor him, but he hadn't thought they would see it as just a big joke.

He stifled a sigh, lamenting how the group didn't seem to be taking this seriously, but then he locked eyes again with the man he had just pointed out - an elven looking fellow with an impressive staff. He grinned, and nodded his head at the man, gesturing over to the side of the corral, closer to where he was standing. "Excellent, my good man. If you'll take a spot over here, I can have a word with you after I've mad a few more introductions." He cast his eyes out over the throng like a net, and cast his voice out to another stranger. "You there! I can see that adventure is in your veins!"

Bradey wove her way through the crowd with relative ease. She depended on her glare to move most people, and if that didn't work, she simply turned her head, and the jagged black scales would move the rest. It was an affliction she had been born with - accusations of demon-cavorting, blah blah. She didn't particularly care to find the facts on that little matter, and her mother had died before she could share.

What 'Bradey' did know, was that along her right cheekbone, around her eye like a hook, over where her right eyebrow should be and then that whole side back into her hairline was a jagged colelction of black, shining scales, like a large prickly lizards'. Her right ear was slightly finned, and lay flatter against her head then her left, and the hairline on that side was pushed further back on her head. Her hair was a rather average brown, and Her eyes were mostly blue, but her right iris was also ringed in orange.

She had gone to the same school as Daniel, although in a very different ciriculum. He had been flunking his history classes, and when he sought refuge in the training yard, he had seen her cleansing and raking the field. From there it had been a continuous sibling friendship, and he had taken her on as body guard, advisor, and friend. Of course, her real name was Marza Bray'deel'lanzi, Goblinoid for Dark Half-Scaled. Daniel nicknamed her Bradey and it stuck.

Now, she slowly sifted through the crowd as he enacted his shenanigans. She claimed a spot just down the rail from him and watched the crowd. She was wearing casual travelling clothes with a pair of leather bracers, and she had a knife and a purse at her hip and a bow and quiver on her back.

((I know. I couldn't resist. I love characters.))

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

May 26th, 2015, 7:01 pm #4

The crowd was stifling to Tessa, whose stature prevented her from even seeing the man addressing the crowd. Judging from the way they responded, they were at least excited about him. She tried to jump and peek over someone's head, but her pack full of books kept her close to the ground. Behind her, a gruff, burly man grumbled disapprovingly. His pack of books was even larger.

"Come on, Rosh." Tessa frowned and determinedly started to push her way through the crowd. The man behind her assisted in the effort, giving anyone who protested a stern look and shake of his head. Rosh was at least a head taller than the tallest man there, and seemed to have a bit of orc in him. He was heavily armed underneath all of Tessa's bags and belongings, but he didn't seem to mind the weight of it.

She waved her hand at the man before the crowd, jumping excitedly. "Lord Quarris!" She called. She didn't have to shove her way through the rest of the crowd, as they parted to her boldness. She was a short girl, probably close to twenty two years old, with wild curls pulled back into a messy bun. Round spectacles rested on her nose and her face was peppered with freckles. She was dressed in travelling robes, and carrying a book in her hands. Behind her, Rosh was an intimidating sight. His face was scarred and he was fully armed and armored. He looked more like a bounty hunter than a body guard, but Tessa's colorful packs gave him away. He scowled at a man who staggered into him.

"My name is Tessa Sungaze. I've been studying this jungle since I became a journeyman at the Academy. I would be forever grateful if I could join your expedition for my studies." Rosh grunted. "Oh, and this is Rosh. He is my dearest friend and companion." She smiled expectantly at the rather eccentric fellow before her.
Forum Admin

Gigantor
Advanced Member
Gigantor
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 2:50 pm #5

Solomon pushed his way through the crowd to where Quarris had designated he go. He walked passed the woman with the scaled face but didn't feel any reason to stare at her face. He understood what that felt like. He did, however, give her a brief nod as he walked. The young voice of a sober woman drew his attention as she volunteered. She seemed young but part of a package deal with the biggest man Solomon had seen. Did he have Orc blood perhaps?

Solomon: so uhh...are the mosquitoes going to be bad?

He said to the person beside him.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 3:01 pm #6

Bradey settled in beside the newcomer, and overheard him ask someone about mosquitoes. She schooled her face to remain as stoic as possible (Which was harder then she liked to admit) as the man burst into laughter, slapped Solomon on the shoulder with a shake of his head, and moved away through the crowd. "I've heard they can be big, but they don't like fire much." She extended her hand. "I'm Bradey. You are?"

She loved Daniel like a brother, but he had a habbit of being excitable and flighty, and not asking for someone's name was kind of... slacking. WHich was where she fit in, apparently. Her smile was unimpeded by the scales on the right side of her face, and she naturally tilted her left side forward. It was a polite habit at this point in her life.

Daniel was oblivious to this interaction, a smile as broad as the horizon streaking across his face at the apearance of two new faces. Sober faces. Serious faces. One of which was very imposing, and the other was scarred and grumbly. He waved them forward. As they approached, He looped one leg around the post of the make-shift fence, and lowered himself to the next rung down, leaning out to extend a hand in salutations. "It is my sincerest pleasure to make your aquaintances! Of course anyone from the Academy is welcome! I would be remiss in not offering you the obligatory warnings of danger and peril and all that, but you seem to have your own very capable protection." His smile made the corners of his eyes crinkle up adn they glimmered in the afternoon sun.

"I'm going to try to snag a few more for our trip, but if you make your way over to my friend Bradey and that new bloke over there, I will be by shortly!" He pointed toward the two chatting figures.

He hoisted himself back up and started hawking at the crowd once more, attempting to wheedle out the true adventurers from the gawkers.

For a crowd of foreign people here for a joke, he was pleased with his luck so far!

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 3:21 pm #7

Tessa grinned toothily at the older gentleman. She wasn't scared of the perils of the jungle. Danger was completely foreign to her, of course, and she was curious to a fault. Luckily for her, however, Rosh was quite experienced with danger. She glanced up at him, standing almost a full two feet taller than her. "Not a problem at all, Master Quarris. Rosh can handle anything thrown at him!" She boasted.

She wasn't a very imposing girl, but her eyes flashed determination as she approached the two strangers by the fence. The blonde- who had claimed to be picking pockets- was the less intimidating of the two. If she didn't know better, she'd have thought he was an elf, and certainly not the pick-pocketing type. Maybe half elf, then? She glanced at him curiously before shifting her book to one arm and extending her hand to shake.

"Greetings! I'm Tess. This is Rosh." Rosh grunted his usual grunt.

She turned to Bradey next, who she thought would have been very pretty in a scary sort of way if it weren't for the black scales marring the side of her head. Tess had heard of such affliction in her time at the academy, but had never actually seen it. She made no effort not to stare.

"You must be Bradey?" She extended her hand to the woman as well. "Your scales are lovely," she complimented, with no sense of polite conversation. "I've never met someone touched by the lacerta before. At least that's what we call it at the Academy!"

Rosh muttered something and Tessa turned scarlet. "Oh I'm terribly sorry. I do hope I'm not being too forward. This is my first expidition out of the school." She ran her fingers through her tumbles of curls and fidgeted nervously before clearing her throat.
Forum Admin

Gigantor
Advanced Member
Gigantor
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 4:30 pm #8

He accepted her greeting and smiled at her spritely nature. When he heard talk of the Academy his breath caught in his chest, which was awkward in the middle of the tight handshake Rosh was administering. It came out as a noisy cough that he immediately hoped didn't draw too much attention.

She couldn't mean "that" Academy could she? Well, at least he never made it to his first day as staff but if she was a magic used, he may have to keep some distance between them.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 5:17 pm #9

Bradey and the new stranger (Who still hadn't introduced himself, much to her chagrin) were interrupted by a small girl and a very very large man. She smiled briefly at them both, offering a full face and an extendedhand. She accepted Tessa's first then moved to shake Rosh's hand. She couldn't help but smile a little wider at the guy - Big guys made her smile. They were just big towers of absolute ass-kickery.

She appreciated their abilities. And they were huge. "Yes, I'm Bradey. It's a pleasure." She glanced over their shoulders, and saw Daniel making chit chat with a few other types that had sifted forward towards him. He had that sort of electric charisma that was hard to avoid. All of those thoughts occured in the split second between 'you must be bradey' and the rest of what the girl was saying.

Her smile vanished, to be replaced with a blank startlement. It wasn't that the scales were lovely - though, ok, maybe that did susprise her. It wasn't that this girl was forward, it was the word - she'd never even heard that word before. She furrowed her brow, shaking off the blank stare (no doubt unsettling) and fumbled for words. "Uh, no no, its fine. Well. I - Um I see you've met Lord Quarris." She blinked and cleared her throat. "I'm sure I could answer questions for you if you really want to know, but he gets so enthusiastic about sharing."

Daniel spoke to several other people - he ended up taking on a down-on-his-luck carpenter and repair man, as well as some sort of desert tribeswoman who seemed adequate with traps and snares. Once they were gathered, He had to fish his way OUT of the crowd now. It warranted a laugh.

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

May 27th, 2015, 5:29 pm #10

Rosh accepted the woman's hand. He was a full seven feet tall, with rippling muscles and short jet black hair that he didn't seem to care much about- as it jutted out haphazardly in different directions. His skin was grayish and calloused, and his arms and exposed shoulders were criss-crossed with scars. He did not smile, but nodded to Bradey. She had a strong handshake. He liked that.

Tessa nodded at the woman, her smile still plastered on her face though it was obvious she was trying very hard not to offend Bradey. Her new acquaintance had changed the subject quite rapidly, after all. But that's what Tessa was there for! What was she thinking? "Oh!" She shifted her book into her hands and began flipping through pages.

"I have a collection of maps from the Academy made by different scholars who have explored the region. They've all been copied thoroughly from the originals. No one's tried an expidition for two hundred years! Can you believe that?" She began flipping through the pages in her book. Many of her maps were simply of the areas on the outskirts of the jungle, and if one paid close attention, there were slight differences in all of them- differences that wouldn't be explained by the passage of time.

She pointed to one of the maps. "This one is the oldest! It's by far the most thorough, but-" Rosh placed a heavy hand on her small shoulder and nodded towards Daniel Quarris. "Oh- I should probably wait for everyone to be together, huh?" Rosh grunted.

It appeared that Daniel wasn't the only one enthusiastic about sharing.
Forum Admin