Moderator: Oru

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

February 24th, 2017, 4:24 am #211

Vivian started at Imrus' voice, spinning about in the chair she had moved from the desk to the window with wide-eyed alarm. "Oh!" She exclaimed, moving to stand. The blanket fell back into the chair and she brushed out her long, billowing pants awkwardly. She was worried he might start thinking that she wore the same outfit every day.

"No need to apologize. I was just looking for a place to sit and managed to get a little lost. And, well," she lifted her hands to indicate the room around them with a shrug.

Vi watched Imrus move to the desk with interest, paying a great deal of attention to the place where the soft doeskin mask met with his skin. The color was almost a perfect match, she thought, admiring the craftsmanship before he asked if she was well.

"Oh, yes my lord. I like sitting by myself." She blushed, and touched her fingers together, flexing them awkwardly. "Well, I meant to procure my sewing basket from my rooms, but-" she looked down at her hands. "I got lost."

She was sure that the Marquis must have thought she was stupid after that, and her face grew darker than her pale pink jacket. She felt a need to inform him that she didn't make a habit of sitting by herself and staring out windows. She was a productive person, dammit! But she couldn't tell him about Phaedra's comment about privacy, either, as that would lead to other questions.

She reached one hand back and tugged awkwardly at the edge of her headscarf. "I'm not in your way, am I?" She asked, glancing back up at him through her lashes.

Behind them, past the doorway, Katherine slid a laundry basket, making her usual 'whooshing' noises.
Forum Admin

bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member
bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member

February 25th, 2017, 7:34 pm #212

Crina shuffled the pillow slightly on the side the one Phaedra had been in the night before, before putting the cushion back. She righted her self up into standing as she regarded the man. Her eyes taking in the muscle build up from years of training. It was the one thing she was glad she was a female for, athletic muscle on a female didn't become apparent as easily as it did on men.

Pulled from her thoughts as lavender blue eyes watched him as he spoke. She laughed quietly, "I always consider drunk fights as counting, because if your still able to hold a sword then your not drunk enough for it not to count." At his second reply, she let a brow raise on her face and stared at him, "That remains to be seen, so I can neither take such a statement as true or false." She stated giving him the look for a moment before she shook her head.

"If you chat, you chat. I don't get the need to bottle things up behind few spoken words, just unneeded stress if you ask me." She waved him off as if she was dealing with a drunk at a tavern, and perhaps the lady snuck out to the taverns with the men.

She shook her head at his question though, "not a thing, I didn't know paper had legs to walk on." She muttered with an eye roll, before she glanced at him. Crina was quiet for a couple of moments before she asked the question she wanted to ask. "You don't have to answer me, if you don't want to, ignore rank for a moment. " She said before she sat down in the very chair she had fixed.

"How would you feel is Lia was chosen as winner?" Her words were spoken with a soft gentle look and where she had sat give him equal opportunity to decide if he wanted to stay or leave through the open door, she did not corner him.

Deleted User
Deleted User

February 25th, 2017, 9:09 pm #213

Lia smiled at Phaedra once again and sipped some tea from one of the cups.

"I guess we'll just have to see, won't we?" She said softly.

Then she decided to confide in Phaedra.

"Last night I couldn't sleep, so i decided to take a walk in the halls and I ran into the Marquis. Almost quite literally." She said, blushing. "He's so nice, Phaedra. He truly is." She sighed.

"I know of my feelings for Janos. Sometimes I cannot help but feel that my parents are right, and that they are the feelings of a teenage girl. I have not seen him since I was a barely out of girl-hood. Yet all this time, I held on to that infatuation. He is so kind, and he treated myself and my family with such respect and compassion when he brought news of my brothers on behalf of the Marquis. I cannot help how I feel." She paused, growing a bit misty eyed.

"But, I am the last remaining child that my parents have. Neither of them have siblings. I'm the last of my line, in blood if not in name. I must provide a future for my line, and while my family is very well off financially, my father wants more for us. By way of rank, and the Marquis out ranks him." Lia sighed again.

"Would I regret marrying the Marquis? No, not at all. I honestly think I would enjoy it. He's a great man, or at least he seems so, so far. But..." She shrugged, feeling that saying more would be redundant.

She still spoke to Phaedra in Greek. Saying this took a weight off of her chest. She didn't feel like talking to Diana about any of it, because Diana would expect Lia to do the proper thing, even if she hated the Marquis. Which she very much doesn't, but still.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 3:51 am #214

Imrus smiled at her comment about getting lost. It was something he hadn't taken into consideration when he invited people here; most of the times they stuck to the large ballroom or the guest quarters closer to the center of the keep, but having long term guests was very rare. Their guest wing was a little... Alright, the place was eccentrically designed.

"I did contemplate putting up signs." He joked. He wasn't sure why, but it sort of came out. He must be in a better mood then he thought. He let his hand linger on top of the book, and then removed it, dusting his gloved hands together idly.

When she asked if she was in the way, he waved her comment aside. "Oh, no of course not -"

Whooooooosh!!

Imrus paused and looked out through the study door, just catching the back of a red-haired girl pushing a bin of laundry. He blinked then turned with raised eyebrow at Lady Loncar. His mouth twitched, and he couldn't help the laugh that came out of him. It was an unexpected bark that turned into a full bodied laugh, and he put a hand over his mouth to try and stop it.

"I'm - Sorry. Excuse - "

Whooooooosh! This time further away.

He started laughing all over again.

--

Janos grinned when Crina said he could count the victory against his cousin and it remained on his face as he listened to the rest of her words. He nodded when she dismissed his apology about speaking his mind, inwardly grateful for that bit. He had a habit of talking, and his inner workings didn't seem to care who it was he was addressing. Very bad for proper etiquette.

It did get a little... strained when Crina asked about Galiana. He shifted his weight on and then quickly off of his bad leg as he leaned there against he desk. He cast a quick look out the door and sighed. "I don't think it would matter how I feel, Lady Crina. Besides. If Lady Koren was chosen by the Marquis, I think... I think I could be contented by the fact that he would be very happy. And I know how much he deserves to be happy."

He gave her a sidelong glance, turning he tide of conversation. "...How would you feel?"

--

Phaedra sat in silence as Lia unloaded her burden. She reached out and squeezed her friend's hand as she bared her heart and Phaedra felt suddenly very important.

It was nice, being the second youngest daughter didn't mean you were particularly special. It also didn't afford you much lee-way in the realm of friends. Most of the good ones were taken by the time she was old enough to value friendship.

Phaedra nodded. She could see the merit in her friends' words. The Marquis, by all accounts she had heard so far, seemed a very decent man. Not like Linea's DOG of a husband. (Her older sister.) That man barely let LInea leave the house, let alone chose her own wardrobe or staff.

Phaedra could think of worse options.

Her heart lurched before she realized what she was going to do. She pulled her hand away from Galiana and turned towards the window. "...Lia... If I ... told you something, would you swear to take no offense? Would you swear to keep it our secret? Please?"

Shout out to all those players I miss, and the new friends I make.

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 4:04 am #215

Vivian couldn't help but smile at the suggestion about signs. Doubtless, it would help her find her way, but if she were ever going to be living in the place, she did need to learn how to get around. She started to move towards the door, thinking that he would need the office space to himself- as disused as the room appeared.

Kat rushed by just as she neared the Marquis, and she froze, fighting down a giggle at the flaming red blur that rushed by, hauling a cart of dirty laundry with it. She raised a hand to her lips, hoping the Marquis wouldn't notice her laugh.

But he was laughing, too. She snorted, in a rather unladylike way, and when the Marquis resumed his laughing, she couldn't help but join in. Her laugh was more boisterous than was truly appropriate for a lady of her standing, but she kept her hand hovered over her mouth to hide her wide-toothy grin.

"I'm sorry, I think Katherine is helping with the laundry today," she said through a giggle. Then she peeked her head out into the hall just in time to see Kat turn the corner, her hair trailing out behind her. "She's the only reason I can ever find my room," she chuckled, and then shrugged.

When the laughter died down, she turned back to the Marquis. "I hadn't seen you since the bandit incident," she said, recalling how she had discouraged Crina from riding out with him. "I was starting to get worried." She crossed her arms around her middle uncomfortably, but smiled nonetheless. It was good that he liked Kat, she thought. She hadn't realized how important the servant girl had become to her.
Forum Admin

bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member
bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 7:35 am #216

Crina regarded him, nodding at his answer before he turned the question on her. She tilted her lips in thought, "speaking truthfully i do not know as of yet." she paused as she unstrapped her sword from around her waist and crossed her legs. Reminding someone of the training gear she still had on.

"Though we have some good communication i feel at this moment as only a friend. Almost close to that of a drinking buddy." The term was probably a funny thing to be said coming from a lady. "Perhaps if things change i will feel a little...discomfort if not saddness should such a thing occur. But as of yet i have no such qualms."

She smiled at him before her eyes glimmered in mischief. Standing she approached him "perhaps we both need a drink to sooth our troubled thoughts."

Crina laughed and elbowed him gently "how much trouble do you think we will be in if we sneak out into the rain and to the tavern in town?" She asked him, her tone of voice as a joke. Her hand over her shoulder pointing to the dark and rainy sky outside.

Deleted User
Deleted User

February 26th, 2017, 11:40 am #217

Lia looked at Phaedra, her own heart sinking a little as she saw the expression on her face.

"You can tell me anything, whatever you want. I swear on the souls of my brothers, that I won't breathe a word. Especially if it's that important to you." She said, her tone and the look in her eyes speaking the truth of her promise.

Before Phaedra said anything, Lia got up and double checked that no one was outside of the door or anything like that, to make sure they didn't have any eavesdroppers, whether they could speak Greek or not.

When she learned they were completely alone, she went back and sat beside Phaedra again, and nodded at her with a small smile to continue.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 6:58 pm #218

Imrus was relieved when Vivian joined him in laughter for a moment. When the whooshing had disappeared, Imrus was able to calm himself down. He did spare her an amused glance when she mentioned how she was able to find her rooms.

Sighing once he had composed himself, he took a glance down the hallway himself as Vivian thoughtfully inquired about him. He felt a little badly that he'd been so busy since the incident; but he also didn't want anyone to think that it hadn't mattered greatly to him. When Vivian expressed her concern, Imrus smiled, bowing his head. "It is very kind of you to notice. I was just making sure that it was an... isolated incident. I have quite a few farms and homesteads a great distance from here that may not have been able to send for help."

"How are you faring? If I may say, you are looking much recovered." He hoped that wasn't particularly blunt. The bruise on her face had retreated to a mere shadow of the frightening purpley shade it had been. "I am sorry if I have seemed neglectful of my guests these past few days." He had a thought.

Remembering she enjoyed fashion and sewing, he offered Vivian his arm. "If you aren't occupied, allow me to remedy that?"

--

Janos listened to Crina thoughtfuly. He hadn't thought to hear such blunt thoughts from a Lady before. In fact, he hadn't expected to be asked his own blunt thoughts.

And he most definitely did NOT expect her to suggest running out to town in the rain to visit the tavern. Because there WAS a tavern. And Janos knew the keeper wouldn't say a damn thing to anyone if they were to sneak down.

Janos returned the mischief, and in a fit of boyish trouble-making, Janos snatched her arm and started to make his way from the room. "Oh well now you've done it. Now I have to take you to the Tavern. But first - cloaks. Cloaks are necessary. Come on!" With his brisk limp, he wound his way down through some servants' passages, snagging two oiled cloaks on the way. He handed one to Crina and donned the other himself.

Soon enough they were at he door to the outside. "I would say 'race you' but you would win and I would end up falling over. Besides. You don't know where the tavern is, I don't think. Still up for it?" The rain was still coming down strong. "And for the record, my lady? Lots of trouble. LOTS of it." And he flashed her a grin.

--

Phaedra watched Galiana, and her hands immediately started to fiddle with the fabric of her skirt. Now she'd committed, she couldn't turn back. Oh dear, now she'd done it. Erasmus would be furious if he knew she'd blabbed. At least... if he knew she blabbed and Lia didn't take it well.

Phaedra realised her eyebrows had started to come together in a haunting puppy-dog expression just before Lia returned fromsecuring their privacy. She turned away and tried to school her features.

"When I was younger... I think I was thirteen...I had a handmaiden named Calla." She started carefully. "She was my age. I think my parents wished for me to have more play mates. I don't know. But she had long brown hair that was like spanish chocolate, or Vanilla sticks from Madagascar...."

She glanced over at Lia and looked down at her hands. "Calla was my best friend. I had a great deal of love for her, and my parents thought that was..." She shrugged trying to look dismissive. "Well they sent her away. And now I only get mutes or deaf girls or older women for hand maidens. And they want me to marry the Marquis."

She glanced over at Lia to see if her friend understood what she was trying to say.

Shout out to all those players I miss, and the new friends I make.

Elena
Advanced Member
Elena
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 8:57 pm #219

Vivian nodded at Imrus' explanation, still hiding her smile behind her hand. She lowered it just enough to speak clearly, "I think it's very noble that you worry so much about your people," and then she raised it again. Her father would have never gone out to check on his lands himself. That was what his personal guards were paid to do, after all. Besides he had 'so much to worry about at home.'

When he acknowledged her bruise, her hand moved to cover it without thinking, and she shrugged bashfully. "It wasn't so bad. I never got stabbed," she fought back a chuckle, thinking that it might be rude to shift the focus onto Janos or Galiana's injury and then laugh about it. "I am feeling much better, though. Your physician has been teaching me some of his herbal remedies for this sort of thing." She glanced aside, out the window. The rain was coming down in sheets.

"Oh no!" She protested, her eyes moving back to him. "I've been filling my time, and I would never presume to interrupt your business and-" she paused and cleared her throat, stemming the inevitable rambling. "I don't think you've been neglectful," she said firmly, as though she had to force the words out in the proper order.

When he offered his arm, she took it reflexively. "I daresay your company might be a touch more interesting than staring out of a window," she looked up at him with a smile, and then clapped a hand over her mouth- horrified. "Not to say that you're boring, I was just-" She made a noise of frustration and looked down at her feet. "Yes, I think the company would be most welcome." She was pinker than her tunic.
Forum Admin

bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member
bigbenhorselover
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2017, 9:14 pm #220

Crina blinked at the sudden change of atmosphere, eyes widened slightly as he took her arm and tugged her along. Her hand holding her sword was trailing behind her as they set a very secretive pace and path in the keep.

She didn't come back to herself until he handed her a cloak and she had automatically slipped it around her shoulders after having had tied her sword back to her waist.

Shaking her head she chuckled a laugh and pulled the hood up and over her head watching as the servants door was opened to view the rain. She was about to step out into the rain when he spoke. "What makes you think i don't?" Her question was a tease of a joke before she dashed out into the rain. The mud sticking to her boots. "Well this trouble ain't going to start it self " She stated back to him though her laugh was drowned out by the rain.

She waited for him to catch up though and had a thought "if we see Vali we're both dead." She stated as they slipped past the main gate a lantern swinging to see where the sound was from but the light didn't touch them.

She walked a pace that wouldn't overwork his leg but still slightly fast so they could make it further down the dirt road before they were spotted.