Moderator: Oru

Lia's Side Quest

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 31st, 2017, 3:13 am #1

Galiana Koren rushed out of Imrus Laszlo's estate, clutching the letter to her chest with one hand and holding her hood over her face with the other. She was leaving without saying goodbye, she didn't have the time.

She wished she could say goodbye to Phaedra, and Imrus, and Janos. And the other Ladies who had become her friends.

But the message was too urgent.

"Lady Galiana Koren,
I know this letter comes to you in an unfamiliar hand. There has been an unfortunate accident involving your mother. She was riding one of your family horses when her steed was spooked by a snake and she was thrown from the saddle.
Your father is beside himself, and asked me to write to you on his behalf. He begs of you to return home. The blow she suffered to her head makes all of us unsure of her continued well being.
I pray that your journey home is both swift and safe, my Lady.

With fond regards, and the deepest concern,
Lukas Bauer, Duke of Austria."

She read the letter again as she made her way to the carriage. Lady Diana, her governess, followed closely at her heels. Diana's face was pinched with worry.

Lia pulled her dark blue cloak tighter again, anxiously wishing to be home already. She climbed into the carriage with Diana right behind her. The staff quickly loaded the carriage with her things, and they were on their way.

"Everything will be alright little dove... I'm sure she will be fine by the time we return home." Diana said softly.

Lia looked at the older woman, worry in her emerald eyes.

"I hope so." She murmured.

And the carriage finally set out, on its way back to Italy.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

August 31st, 2017, 3:31 am #2

Several days passed on Lia's journey; fair weather all. On the third day of her overland trek, Lord Bauer spotted the carriage's approach from the crest of a hill. Dressed as he was, and his men similarly so, (and safely off of the Black wolf's lands, thank you very much) they looked nothing more than common bandits.

He raised a hand and gave the signal to advance. Twenty men would make short work of any guards accompanying the Lady, and they would be sure to kill none.

The last thing they needed was some embarrassing incident. It usually involved duels and those were always messy business. Part of him felt badly for the deception; forging the letter, the couriers ...

But if that Stinking Hungarian had the pick of any bride he wanted, he sure as hell was going to take advantage of the eligible bachlorettes in the area. And he just so happened to know the Korens. Distantly. They were Italian.

He hated Italians. But they were wealthy. And he was stock broke, his lands were slowly going to put, and all the able bodied men he had had gone off to war with someone or other. He was a Duke of an empty land and the best thing he could do for himself was catch a bride.

This time it was going to be literal.

He signalled the attack and some of his men let out yells as instructed.

Shout out to all those players I miss, and the new friends I make.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 31st, 2017, 3:44 am #3

Lia, still clutching the letter, jumped at the sound of the attack being launched against her small group. Diana immediately threw herself between her Lady and the door of the carriage.

Lia had hardly slept the last couple days, so she was jumpy and tired. She still looked as lovely as a summer day though. A gift, her mother would always say.

She wasn't dumb. As soon as the attack launched, she looked at the letter and crumpled it up in her hands, shaking with fear and anger.

Someone had played on her gentle heart.

"Stay behind me my dear, I won't let anyone touch you." Diana said fiercely.

The Governess was holding her knitting needles like they were weapons. The sounds of battle was like a painful ringing in Lia's ears. It was a sound she would never get used to.

The door to the carriage was flung open and Lia shrieked as a masked man came rushing into the carriage holding a long knife.

Diana wastes no time and stabbed the man in the arm with her knitting needles.

"You'll not lay a single dirty finger on my Lady while there is breath in my lungs!" The brave governess yelled sternly.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

August 31st, 2017, 3:54 am #4

As Bauer approached, flanking the initial attack, he witnessed something that made him frown. Very deeply. And draw his blade.

The man with the long knife yelled as the knitting needle sank into his arm, and impulsively he jabbed forward with his knife, sinking it into the poor, fierce governess protecting her beloved ward.

"Get Him." He indicated in Austrian to the rest, and they dragged the offending man from the carriage. He cussed loudly at them, pointing at his arm, and gesticulating angrily.

Bauer didn't even wait for him to explain. He sank his blade into the man's throat, cutting off his protests and ending his life in an instant. "That's what happens when someone disobeys orders.
Get he carriage, we go now."

And the men circled the carriage and left the soldiers bound and tied on the side of the road. No one dared enter the carriage until they had crossed the border.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 31st, 2017, 4:05 am #5

Time seemed to freeze for Lia as the bandit sank his knife into Diana. The only things she perceived was the crimson blood pouring from the wound in Diana's chest; Her heartbeat roaring like drums of war in her ears, and the cold feeling of the blood draining from her face.

She didn't feel the carriage start moving a moment later. She barely caught the echoes of sound as a man spoke Austrian outside the carriage. She knew the language. She knew nearly all of the languages of Europe. But her mind couldn't translate it right now.

"Diana... Diana.. please no." Lia said, tears filling her eyes as she clutched the governess' hand.

"I'm sorry my dear. I'm so sorry. Please stay safe my Lia. Don't let them hurt you. I know the Marquis will send aid. He cares very much... Your parents will...
Send aid. It'll be alright..."
Diana said, her voice getting weaker and weaker as she spoke.

Blood started leaking from the corner of her mouth, as she looked at Lia one last time. The light faded from her eyes and Lia felt her heart crumble.

Tears poused from her eyes, and she whispered frantically "Diana please... no... please come back. Please."

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

August 31st, 2017, 4:26 am #6

The carriage traveled for maybe ten minutes. At that point, Duke Bauer gestured impatiently for the others to fetch the governess.

They opened the door, and with surprising gentleness they pulled the older woman from the carriage and shut the door. Before they started up again, they shut the woman's eyes and wrapped her up in the offending bandit's fur cloak. One of the others put her on the back of a horse (now vacated) for proper burial services once they reached the Keep.

Several hours later they crossed the border into Austria. That was the first time they ceased since, and one of the bandits, no longer masked or hooded, brought a bucket with cold water and a rag to the Lady in the back of the wagon.

Duke Bauer was busy shouting in Austrian to the men he'd brought with him, asking what MORON had brought Hans along? Did they WANT an excuse for him to kill the man, because it worked and NOW they had killed his stolen wife's friend. Excellent work everyone, dock in pay for all of you imbeciles. Now get the wagon moving again and I don't want a damn work out of any of you!

And he spurred his horse forward.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 3rd, 2017, 3:42 pm #7

Lia stared at the man who took Diana from her. Her mind... It couldn't comprehend that the woman who had been there her entire life... was no longer.

She felt numb... But she also felt cold. She pulled her shawl tighter around herself after the man left with her governess.

After they crossed the border - though she didn't know that, she wasn't looking out the carriage window - she came to her senses a little.

I need to get a message to someone... Otherwise it will be weeks before anyone knows I'm missing... Unless one of the guards made it. I hope someone comes soon... She thought to herself.

She would not scream or beg for mercy. But she would not allow them to touch her either. She was the sister of three of the greatest soldiers this world has ever known. Heroes. She wouldn't shame their memory by being weak now.

Lorelan... Elias... Kayle. If you still linger, even a little, please help your little sister stay strong.... She thought, gripping the edges of her shawl in her fist.

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

September 3rd, 2017, 3:49 pm #8

Duke Bauer rode them for hours. As soon as they crossed the border, he made the order to break for camp, and they did so without complaint.

He removed the mask and changed as soon as his own tent was assembled before he made his way to the carriage. As unorthodox a method for finding a bride as it was - it had gone extremely well. All things considered.

He strode to the carriage and rapped on the door before he had someone open it and he slipped in. Hesat across from Lady Galiana, unmasked and stoic faced.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 3rd, 2017, 3:59 pm #9

Lia's beautiful emerald eyes, rimmed by their long, dark lashes, followed this man as he just entered her carriage without permission.

Despite the ordeal, her appearance was still immaculate. Not a single strange of her raven black hair was out of place - it was currently in a half ponytail. It's luxurious length was apparent, but it was out of her lovely face.

The only crease in her gorgeous silver dress was from sitting in this carriage for the entire day, but that could be easily fixed as soon as she stood.

She looked like a princess out of a fairy tale, just without the crown.

Lia stared back at him, meeting his stormy blue eyes. If she wasn't so afraid of him, despite the bravado she was showing in meeting his gaze, she would note that he was probably one of the most handsome men she has ever seen.

But the man had kidnapped her. Even if he punished his own man for killing Diana.

She was grateful for that.....

Oru
Advanced Member
Oru
Advanced Member

September 3rd, 2017, 4:24 pm #10

Duke Lukas Bauer stared silently for a moment at the woman he had chosen for his bride. He hadn't actually ever met her in person, but he had knowledge of her family. Fine breeding, Heroic blood in her veins as evident by her brothers, wealth and power. Everything he needed.

It was just exceptional good luck that she was as beautiful as the stories about her professed. He silently exhaled in relief. He had really REALLY not wanted to marry a cow.

He folded his hands casually in his lap. "Good Evening,
My Lady. Allow me to apologize for the earlier messiness. They were instructed to do no injury to the inhabitants of the carriage. I imagine it is painful for you, but I hope my own discipline of the man is a step towards reconciling the affair."

He had the crisp Austrian accent but he was speaking in a clinical, formal Italian to her. His tone was contrite - but sort of hollow. He didn't smile either And his stormy blue eyes were harsh and cold.