Wealthy Papua New Guineans have never shared their wealth... unlike rich people elsewhere

Wealthy Papua New Guineans have never shared their wealth... unlike rich people elsewhere

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 27th, 2006, 5:22 am #1

Maybe some of you have read that the world's richest man, Bill Gates, long ago gave most of his billions to a nonprofit foundation that gives money for many things, including research on HIV-AIDS. This week Bill Gates has said that he is stepping down from Microsoft so he can spend full time on his charitable foundation.

Can you even envision our wealthy fools, namely Wingti, Chan, Somare, Morauta, or Yama (barely) ever doing such a thing with their wealth?

Now even more news. The world's second richest man, also an American, named Buffett, has decided to give almost all his money to Bill Gate's foundation, plus other money to a foundation in memory of his wife (decease).

Please note: These people are NOT leaving their money to wantoks. Instead they seem to feel that the best use of their wealth is to help solve some of the world's greatest problems.

An article about the wealthy Americans giving away their billions to charity are cut and pasted below.

I have a question: Why is it that our PNG wealthy, seeing the horrible situation of so many problems all around PNG (starting with HIV-AIDS), would be the last people we would ever expect to help others? Yet we vote for these kinds of personalities so often.

What leaders we have. Steal their money, then keep it for themselves. We once had a pollie, named Karl Stack, who started a Stack Foundation that paid for school fees in Sandaun. But as typical for our PNG pollies, the reason why Karl Stack set up that foundation wasn't as much to help Papua New Guineans but instead to get more votes for re-election. When Karl Stack escaped to Australia, his foundation seemed to disappear with him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Understatement defines Gates and Buffett tie-up
Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56pm ET
By Abha Bhattarai

NEW YORK, June 26 (Reuters) - It was by any measure an historic event: the world's two richest people, with a combined net worth close to $100 billion, explaining why they were giving back most of their wealth to society.

Yet the understatement of both Warren Buffett and Bill Gates made it seem far from momentous.

In an overheated hotel ballroom, Warren Buffett occasionally brightened the proceedings with quips about his mortality, and Bill Gates smiled like a proud son at his graduation, but this was otherwise serious stuff.

They held forth on Monday before some 200 reporters and camera operators at a packed Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers press conference to discuss Buffett's decision to donate more than two-thirds of his $44 billion fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Certainly, though, it was an event without much sense of celebration or pizazz. Bill and Melinda Gates and Buffett were dressed in dark suits and there was little bi-play even though Bill Gates and Buffett are old friends and longtime bridge partners.

They stressed that the ability of the Gates Foundation to change the lives of millions was what was important.

Gates' wife Melinda did much of the talking about why they were there in the first place. She focused on the foundation's activities, including its work to eradicate diseases and improve U.S. education.

Asked repeatedly why he didn't leave more for his children, Buffett said he wanted to avoid "dynastic inheritance," where people born into wealthy families get unfair head starts over the less fortunate.

The 75-year-old also said he was better off continuing to run Berkshire -- and having "so much fun" doing it -- while leaving the mechanics of philanthropy to the Gateses.

"I would not want to listen to as many different people with as many different opinions as they would enjoy listening to," he said. "I think their judgment above ground is going to be a lot better than mine six feet under."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 28th, 2006, 5:39 am #2

WHY????

tingting blo mi
tingting blo mi

June 28th, 2006, 6:02 am #3

I reckon we don't shame them enough into doing it. Their wantoks of course start beggging from the start but there's never a stronger, greater voice that demands that they give back to the nation what the nation gave to them!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 28th, 2006, 6:39 am #4

Most of you know who Dolly Parton is. The singer. Well did you know that last year a programme she started gave nearly 2 million books to 215,000 kids?

Our politicians don't even think about giving books to our kids. They give us empty classrooms instead!

And to think that someone like Dolly Parton doesn't wait for the government to do this or that. She had the money, she used her money to start a programme instead of just giving it to her family. As a result she helps an entire nation.

Why doesn't Julius Chan start a programme to give books to kids throughout PNG?

Why doesn't Pais Wingti use his wealth to pay for training materials that are sold at low cost (just to make sure those who uses it will be serious about it) in different village based simple trades?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 28th, 2006, 10:27 am #5

To the disobedient sons of men in this renegade generation.

To all who hold office whose hearts are engraved with rebellion, lawlessness and blasphemy against the Most High God. To those in government, in the mass media, in the trading systems who exchange truth for delusion and in turn have mass manufactured the wares of deception from the twenty-first-century humanity.

For as the peoples of the Earth enter the new millennium, I tell you, beloved, that as the end of the age draws near so it is that darkness, great darkness shall overshadow the Earth and her people.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 28th, 2006, 11:51 pm #6

You sound like a nut case.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2006, 10:54 am #7

You're entitled to your opinion.

Luke 21:34-36.
"Becareful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkeness and anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2006, 11:28 am #8

To the disobedient sons of men in this renegade generation.

To all who hold office whose hearts are engraved with rebellion, lawlessness and blasphemy against the Most High God. To those in government, in the mass media, in the trading systems who exchange truth for delusion and in turn have mass manufactured the wares of deception from the twenty-first-century humanity.

For as the peoples of the Earth enter the new millennium, I tell you, beloved, that as the end of the age draws near so it is that darkness, great darkness shall overshadow the Earth and her people.
Things have never looked brighter for the Chinese!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2006, 4:35 pm #9

THE GREATEST REVIVALS WILL COME OUT OF THE SACRIFICE OF THE MARTYRS

PROHETIC WORD RECIEVED SPRING 2000

CHINA--THE ENDTIME DYNASTY OF THE SON

Oh, for surely I tell you, that even as the sun rises upon the continent of the East, so shall it be that in this time and in this endtime season, so shall it be that the brilliance and the majesty of the Son-- the Son of the Living God Himself--shall rise in might and power and in splendour upon this fortified land.

For even as the Great Wall of China has been marvelled at as one of the seven wonders of this Earth--so says the God of Abraham, Isach and of Jacob--so too shall men marvel and wonder as they behold the mighty flame of revival and an outpouring of My Spirit hitherto not seen upon the Earth that has yet to sweep across this continent. For even as the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall were dismantled in this past season and a great voice of utterance started to arise across Russia, so shall it be as nought compared to what has been ordained and shall it be released across the Far East and beyond.

For i tell you, that even as a seal has been set upon China for past millennia--so too it is the coming of Heaven's preordained timings and seasons--and so the great seal of the East shall be broken and a mighty wail of repentance shall resound though the cities and the villages. And a great spirit of supplication and of worship to the Living God and to the Son of God crucified shall arise up to the throne room. And it shall rise to Me not as an incense, not as a fragrance, but it shall rise before My throne fiercely as a living burning flame, says the Living God.

Yes, as a mighty flame the tears and the supplications of My Eastern saints shall rise before Me and it is at this time that the blood of the martyrs and the cries of those imprisoned for My sake and for the sake of My Son and for the sake of the Gospel in China shall be released in the heavenlies. And so it is that a great stirring in the heavens shall occur.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2006, 11:52 pm #10

Maybe some of you have read that the world's richest man, Bill Gates, long ago gave most of his billions to a nonprofit foundation that gives money for many things, including research on HIV-AIDS. This week Bill Gates has said that he is stepping down from Microsoft so he can spend full time on his charitable foundation.

Can you even envision our wealthy fools, namely Wingti, Chan, Somare, Morauta, or Yama (barely) ever doing such a thing with their wealth?

Now even more news. The world's second richest man, also an American, named Buffett, has decided to give almost all his money to Bill Gate's foundation, plus other money to a foundation in memory of his wife (decease).

Please note: These people are NOT leaving their money to wantoks. Instead they seem to feel that the best use of their wealth is to help solve some of the world's greatest problems.

An article about the wealthy Americans giving away their billions to charity are cut and pasted below.

I have a question: Why is it that our PNG wealthy, seeing the horrible situation of so many problems all around PNG (starting with HIV-AIDS), would be the last people we would ever expect to help others? Yet we vote for these kinds of personalities so often.

What leaders we have. Steal their money, then keep it for themselves. We once had a pollie, named Karl Stack, who started a Stack Foundation that paid for school fees in Sandaun. But as typical for our PNG pollies, the reason why Karl Stack set up that foundation wasn't as much to help Papua New Guineans but instead to get more votes for re-election. When Karl Stack escaped to Australia, his foundation seemed to disappear with him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Understatement defines Gates and Buffett tie-up
Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56pm ET
By Abha Bhattarai

NEW YORK, June 26 (Reuters) - It was by any measure an historic event: the world's two richest people, with a combined net worth close to $100 billion, explaining why they were giving back most of their wealth to society.

Yet the understatement of both Warren Buffett and Bill Gates made it seem far from momentous.

In an overheated hotel ballroom, Warren Buffett occasionally brightened the proceedings with quips about his mortality, and Bill Gates smiled like a proud son at his graduation, but this was otherwise serious stuff.

They held forth on Monday before some 200 reporters and camera operators at a packed Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers press conference to discuss Buffett's decision to donate more than two-thirds of his $44 billion fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Certainly, though, it was an event without much sense of celebration or pizazz. Bill and Melinda Gates and Buffett were dressed in dark suits and there was little bi-play even though Bill Gates and Buffett are old friends and longtime bridge partners.

They stressed that the ability of the Gates Foundation to change the lives of millions was what was important.

Gates' wife Melinda did much of the talking about why they were there in the first place. She focused on the foundation's activities, including its work to eradicate diseases and improve U.S. education.

Asked repeatedly why he didn't leave more for his children, Buffett said he wanted to avoid "dynastic inheritance," where people born into wealthy families get unfair head starts over the less fortunate.

The 75-year-old also said he was better off continuing to run Berkshire -- and having "so much fun" doing it -- while leaving the mechanics of philanthropy to the Gateses.

"I would not want to listen to as many different people with as many different opinions as they would enjoy listening to," he said. "I think their judgment above ground is going to be a lot better than mine six feet under."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
Why should they? They work hard for their money and have every right to spend it how they please!