THE SLEEPING GIANT

THE SLEEPING GIANT

Alarmed
Alarmed

July 25th, 2004, 6:38 am #1

I would like to know what exactly the Papua New Guinea Government is doing about the exploding HIV/AIDS epidemic in the country, apart from contributing a measly K760,000 to the underfunded National Aids Council. I find this absolutely alarming. Nobody, (least of all our politicians, apart from a select few like Lady Kidu)seems to realise the serious threat this disease is having and will continue to have for generations to come to our country. AIDS in PNG is described by experts as being out of control and is reaching an "African-style" pandemic stage.There are 7,587 people who are confirmed as having AIDS/HIV in PNG today, however, the real figure could be upwards from 50,000 or 1 person in 100, with a horrifying infection rate of 40-60 per cent a year(World Bank estimates). This was all reported in a recent newspaper article in an overseas newspaper which also stated "within 10 years the infection rate among Papua New Guineans will reach more than one in five or 1.5 million out of a projected population of 7 million, with 350,000 living as orphans. It is a scenario so catastrophic that PNG is aleady being talked about among health professionals and authorities as potentially worse than sub-saharan Afica.", as a Papua New Guinean, I find this very disturbing and I urge our leaders to please come together on this issue and address it with the urgency it deserves, instead of wasting their time on foolish votes of no confidence.

nen
nen

July 25th, 2004, 7:00 am #2

Let the HIV infected die for their own begotten reward!

We should be rejoicing that some natural mechanism have down upon us to help containg the booming PNG population!

Let the empolyed in the HIV fight rejoice for the hard-to-come-by cash for this mode of employment.

Yes, a natural balance is in play so no panic is needed to disturn the good!

No no no! don't give my tax to the evil victims,

concerned
concerned

July 25th, 2004, 10:45 am #3

Is a wife who is infected by HIV from her promiscuous husband "evil"? Is the young girl who got HIV when prostituting just to get enough money to feed herself and her family "evil"? Is the mother who got HIV when she was pack-raped while walking home from the market "evil"? Is the HIV+ child that is born as a result of that rape "evil"? These are not "evil" people as you describe them, these are the innocent victims of this horrific disease, they are human beings who deserve respect, compassion, understanding and most of all love.

nen
nen

July 26th, 2004, 2:10 am #4

Love as yu stated is free, HIV infection is also free, but of course some do seek the expansive way to acquire it. Please preahe as loud as yu can to stop others from being infected by that HIV!

MAMA FINGER
MAMA FINGER

July 26th, 2004, 10:57 am #5

If we can not be faithful to each other whether it be married couples or boy/girlfriend relationship, why bother about such issues.

I strongly believe it all depends on individuals whether to die at an early age or to live. There is no need for us to campaign on HIV/AIDS as I believe every household in PNG knows that is is deadly and even heard news about the case in other African countries. If it is one's sexual desire to take sex as fun to satisfy their desire for minutes, it is their fault. It is nature doing the selection process where Charles Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest come into effect. The fittest survive and the weakest are eliminated from the community.

However, what we should take into consideration is on how to take care of the ones that are already victims of the virus.

Coupled with land shortage, increased population and less food to feed the ever growing population, I would think nature is at its selection process as to balance everything out. On a religious perspective, they might view it differently here. So TO BE OR NOT TO BE IS THE QUESTION RIGHT NOW every person has to ask. If you want to survive, live a good live and stcik to one partner and make it a rule.

Until then, I would consider there is no need to campaign coz past experiences came to no effect.

Mama Finger

Alarmed
Alarmed

July 26th, 2004, 4:50 pm #6

Dear Mama Finger, pull your finger out and get real!! Your response is so ludicrous that I didnt know whether to laugh or take you seriously!!. You say "if we cannot be faithful why bother about such issues"? Ill tell you why we must bother, BECAUSE WE HAVE WHAT IS POTENTIALLY THE BIGGEST DISASTER THAT OUR COUNTRY WILL EVER FACE IF THINGS KEEP GOING THE WAY THAT THEYRE GOING!! Does that register through your thick skull at all??
You also say that it "depends on individuals whether to die at an early age or live" you are a complete moron,you say this like people have a choice, alot of the victims of this disease are innocent women who are infected from their cheating husbands, they didnt have much of a choice did they? What about those innocent children who are born HIV+ do you think in your right mind that they decided one day to say "hey you know what? I think I wanna die of AIDS today"....I DONT THINK SO!!
I believe education is the key, and I still think that there are alot of misconceptions about this disease and we all need to be more open and have more discussions and workshops right around the country, especially in rural areas, instead of pretending it doesnt exist.
You also say that "every household knows that it is deadly" (presumably youve been to every house in PNG?)If that was the case then we wouldnt have a sky-rocketing infection rates would we?
The icing on the cake for me was when you said that this is natures way of having the "weakest eliminated from our community" based on Darwins theory. The cold hard facts are that this disease doesnt discriminate it attacks everybody, the weak, the strong, the poor, the rich, the young, the old, black, white, asian....EVERYBODY IS AT RISK including YOU, there is no process of natural selection here.
The next time you try to comment on an important issue such as this one, please make intelligent remarks instead of putting forward idiotic theories that make no sense, I also suggest that you take a visit to the AIDS ward at the POM General hospital to see where PNG is headed.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 26th, 2004, 10:04 pm #7

yeah the country is f ucked up...

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

July 26th, 2004, 10:39 pm #8

You are right Alarmed,
this pandemic will only be worsened by the moralists.

What they don't seem to realise is, that in PNG everyone is at risk. All one has to do, is be treated at one of the grossly underfunded hopitals, to contract HIV.

How many of these hospitals would have a functional Autoclave, to sterilize medical instruments. Or even the trained staff to use one.

I REST MY CASE.

Regards......Ralph.

Mama Finger
Mama Finger

July 26th, 2004, 11:03 pm #9

Dear Alarmed and associates,

Have you been to PNG or if you are in PNG, how much have you done so far as far as the HIV/AIDS issue is concerned. I was heavily involved in campaigning around PNG educating the people of the disease and how to take good care of the deceased. If we can try our best to educate the people with all our resources and time and it goes into one ear and out the other, what else do you expect??? The fact that innocent wives and kids are being infected could be a great concern as you have mentioned. However, it all comes back to unfaithful sex again. I mentioned, about the selection process where the weakest are eliminated meaning "the unfaithful" of the society and that theory still stands. Whether you be black or white, Indian or coloured, if you cant follow the set rules in a society, you are considered unfit to live in the society, dont you? Well, Mr. Alarmed, I am afraid if you cant have respect for the rules of your society, having unlimited sexual partners although you know the killer virus is around, we cant blame anyone. So let the selection process continue and see where we go.

I wish I had time to elaborate more....

Mama Finger

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 26th, 2004, 11:25 pm #10

I'm very glad that you don't have time to elaborate more Mama Finger; one can only read so much ridiculous ill-considered verbal diarrhoea in one sitting.

As pointed out by Ralph Hamilton and Alarmed; unfaithful sexual partners are not the only cause of aids; only an absolute dullard would even suggest it.

If you sit back and "see where it takes us" as you suggest; it could well be that the whole nation of PNG disappears into an early grave. Wake up!!