Is moral corruption a development issue?

Is moral corruption a development issue?

the National
the National

January 5th, 2004, 11:16 pm #1

[from the National Monday 5th of January 2004]

Expose leaders’ extra marital affairs: Hayes

A WOMAN leader has called on all Papua New Guineans to expose high office holders who are involved in moral corruption.
Maria Hayes, newly elected president of PNG Women In Politics (PNGWIP), said those who take advantage of their handsome wages to pursue relationships outside marriage should be exposed.
“I refer to the high level of moral corruption among politicians, Government consultants and senior public servants who abuse their high offices and people’s resources to conduct their activities,” Mrs Hayes said. She claimed there has been an increase in extra-marital affairs and breakdown of marriages that was leaving women and children deserted on the streets without support.
“We are becoming too complacent and have allowed this disease to eat into the fabric of our society and the break-down of our national foundation - our families,” she added.
She said PNG claims to be a Christian nation, yet the people allowed the leaders to abuse their high profile jobs and position of trust, even though there are mechanisms and institutions such as the Ombudsman Commission and other Government and non-governmental organisations in place to fight the rot.
“We have men (women are not excluded) who exploit naÔve and vulnerable young women.
“This practice is now becoming an acceptable way of life and is encouraging promiscuity and prostitution among young women who are lured by money and material wealth.
“It is a shame to see these leaders conduct their private lives in ways that questions the positions they hold, the money the people of PNG pay them and use of public resources for their immoral activities,” she said.

Lepon
Lepon

January 7th, 2004, 9:47 am #2

Moral corruption is a developmental issue and needs a collective effort from all sectors to address.What's happening now is just the starting and we might see more of that when comparing with the history of the developed nations transitional period and from the sociological perspectives.

Ta

DeCay
DeCay

January 7th, 2004, 9:50 pm #3

[from the National Monday 5th of January 2004]

Expose leaders’ extra marital affairs: Hayes

A WOMAN leader has called on all Papua New Guineans to expose high office holders who are involved in moral corruption.
Maria Hayes, newly elected president of PNG Women In Politics (PNGWIP), said those who take advantage of their handsome wages to pursue relationships outside marriage should be exposed.
“I refer to the high level of moral corruption among politicians, Government consultants and senior public servants who abuse their high offices and people’s resources to conduct their activities,” Mrs Hayes said. She claimed there has been an increase in extra-marital affairs and breakdown of marriages that was leaving women and children deserted on the streets without support.
“We are becoming too complacent and have allowed this disease to eat into the fabric of our society and the break-down of our national foundation - our families,” she added.
She said PNG claims to be a Christian nation, yet the people allowed the leaders to abuse their high profile jobs and position of trust, even though there are mechanisms and institutions such as the Ombudsman Commission and other Government and non-governmental organisations in place to fight the rot.
“We have men (women are not excluded) who exploit naÔve and vulnerable young women.
“This practice is now becoming an acceptable way of life and is encouraging promiscuity and prostitution among young women who are lured by money and material wealth.
“It is a shame to see these leaders conduct their private lives in ways that questions the positions they hold, the money the people of PNG pay them and use of public resources for their immoral activities,” she said.
The heart of man is, by nature, corrupt. It is constantly shrouded in shadows of temptation and has a strong inclination towards a vile indulgence in sensualism and materialism. The human heart is too weak to relate itself to other human hearts simply because of its narcissistic tendency.

A life of poverty is a good life because it denies its owner's heart the instinct to indulge in narcissism. Our pleasure-driven instincts are denied or lie in hibernation when the stimulus is not favourable, i.e. absence of opportunities of materialistic indulgence. However, our pleasure-driven instincts naturally surface when opportunities of materialistic indulgence avail themselves at the disposal our instincts.

Ms. Hayes has pointed out an important trend we are going through. Consider it as a national hiccup where the onslaught of outside forces are forced to bear down on our simple life style. Our people have a very raw and wild pleasure-driven instincts and a strong sense of narcissism. These qualities are let loose but in a very negative way as pointed out by Ms. Hayes, where adultery and sexual promiscuity are the manifestations of wild uncontrolled narcissism. It's the love of self that we need to harness and use it in a more productive way.

All humans are prone to this miserable segment of life. But it does not mean that humans do not have options for betterment (to avoid this miserable segment), for it is also human nature that we are endowed with a variety of life choices. Opportunities and changes are two dimensions of a same phenomeon that may be called fate. Where there is fate, there is choice because we choose our fate by our actions.

Moral corruption has to be approached from two angles -the public and the private. A person may be privately corrupt but commands the respect and admiration of others in his/her public life because of his/her competency. If the private corruption crosses over the line and gets in the way of that person's public performance, then it becomes an issue and thus concerns the public. He or she has to be reprimanded in whatever means necessary in order to restore the equilibrium.

Moral corruption is therefore a developmental issue where private corruption is brought to impinge on the public performance of a person.

@wama
@wama

January 8th, 2004, 4:25 pm #4

DeCay,

An original masterpiece in-the-making!

This article ranks -- in my books -- to be amongst the best; well articulated, and well presented postings -- on PNGScape -- I've read and come to appreciate so much (and this coming from a fellow PNGean) in a long, long while.

I guess the thresholds, entry barriers or the stakes for postings - of serious nature - on PNGScape have been raised sharply with your posting, thus setting the standard, so to say.

Great piece. Way to go henceforth in 2004!

@Wama
8 Jan 2004

Exile
Exile

January 23rd, 2004, 10:33 pm #5

The heart of man is, by nature, corrupt. It is constantly shrouded in shadows of temptation and has a strong inclination towards a vile indulgence in sensualism and materialism. The human heart is too weak to relate itself to other human hearts simply because of its narcissistic tendency.

A life of poverty is a good life because it denies its owner's heart the instinct to indulge in narcissism. Our pleasure-driven instincts are denied or lie in hibernation when the stimulus is not favourable, i.e. absence of opportunities of materialistic indulgence. However, our pleasure-driven instincts naturally surface when opportunities of materialistic indulgence avail themselves at the disposal our instincts.

Ms. Hayes has pointed out an important trend we are going through. Consider it as a national hiccup where the onslaught of outside forces are forced to bear down on our simple life style. Our people have a very raw and wild pleasure-driven instincts and a strong sense of narcissism. These qualities are let loose but in a very negative way as pointed out by Ms. Hayes, where adultery and sexual promiscuity are the manifestations of wild uncontrolled narcissism. It's the love of self that we need to harness and use it in a more productive way.

All humans are prone to this miserable segment of life. But it does not mean that humans do not have options for betterment (to avoid this miserable segment), for it is also human nature that we are endowed with a variety of life choices. Opportunities and changes are two dimensions of a same phenomeon that may be called fate. Where there is fate, there is choice because we choose our fate by our actions.

Moral corruption has to be approached from two angles -the public and the private. A person may be privately corrupt but commands the respect and admiration of others in his/her public life because of his/her competency. If the private corruption crosses over the line and gets in the way of that person's public performance, then it becomes an issue and thus concerns the public. He or she has to be reprimanded in whatever means necessary in order to restore the equilibrium.

Moral corruption is therefore a developmental issue where private corruption is brought to impinge on the public performance of a person.
DeCay, superb piece.
However I beg to differ on one point.

The human heart is by nature well balanced, with equal portions of the tendency to be corrupt, and the tendency to be noble. But as you pointed out, it is the presence/absence of the climes (stimulus) necessary to provoke these tendencies that should be examined.

If the tendency to be corrupt is seen to be overwhelming, than it is a simple case of drawing that the climes necessary for corruption is excessive and needs to be examined and possibly corrected to achive equilibrium or better.

If you find yourself in a bar, you’d naturally want to drink.
If you find yourself in a brothel, well…..
If you find yourself on the beach, you’d probably be day dreaming (thinking) or swimming for fish.
So I say build more beaches!

DeCay
DeCay

January 23rd, 2004, 11:41 pm #6

Thanks Exile for your input. It's good we exchange ideas and educate ourselves in the process. I'll explain why I said our hearts have a perennial tendency towards corruption. Let's try our minds at some simple logic.

I start by introducing a hypothesis as you mentioned that the human heart is well balanced by the presence of both good and evil and that it is our actions that are influenced by either the good or the evil side depending on our desires and other subjective factors and depending also on the presence or absence of the appropriate stimulii. Of course that is the state of being which we are all striving to achieve because right now we find ourselves struggling to restore equilibrium in our personal and public lives - call it the quest for a good, honorable life of peace and contentment.

I will introduce another hypothesis called the null hypothesis which is that the human heart is corrupt and that we have to look for ways to disprove this null hypothesis. By that I mean finding evidence or substantiating the claim that the human heart is indeed corrupt. It is the body of evidence and substantiation that we are concerned with here. If we do not have enough of these, then we can reject the null hypothesis and accept the original hypothesis. But if there is overwhelming evidence to support the null hypothesis, it would seem that the null hyothesis cannot easily be done away with...

OK, let's move on. Some questions for all of us to answer or ponder. The major religions around the world have philosophies of doing good to others and to respect others. Generally we strive to be good ALL the time; we must not "sleep" in this endeavor, for that is the time the evil half of our hearts will try to take over - as you correctly point out.

So the question becomes, why do we strive to do good ALL the time? If we have a well balanced heart, we will not have to worry about doing good all the time because the good aspect of our hearts will always cancel out the bad aspect of our hearts and as such, equilibrium is continually maintained.

I think we strive to do good all the time because that is the only way to get away from our corrupt nature and also to keep the evil side of our hearts at bay.

That's the basis of my argument, but it is by no means perfect.

You may have your counter arguments, please share it...

^..^

The Exile
The Exile

February 2nd, 2004, 11:58 pm #7

DeCay, sorry for the long delay. The truth is you kind of shot my hypothesis out of the water and I spent all that time thinking. Serves me right I guess for trying to engage in a topic I know so little about. But then, as you say, maybe my ignorant rantings could kind of provoke thought and stimulate discussion to stimulate some discussions for my education.

But I must admit I am still reluctant to accept your “Null hypothesis”, which mind you, makes a lot of sense. I guess probably because I am one of those you could label or classify ‘romantics’. I maybe erroneously, like to believe in the good of things.

Who can really know of the mysteries of Narcissus’ ego.

Ok so if as you argue, the human heart is weak then maybe that weakness is due to the consciousness of being alone and fearful of the unknown. Maybe the heart is too scared of other hearts to relate to them. Doesn’t that make it innocent, pure and noble? Soft, meek and tender?

And hence it is easier for tendencies for vices to germinate than for tendencies for virtues when it (the heart) is subject to influences and provoked into activity, not by its own choice really, but instinctively in order for self preservation?

So how do we help? It’s the environment that we have to change. The hierarchic kind of development we pursue enables moral corruption. This kind of environment conduces everyone involved to competing for a prize; attention, fame, control, power etc.

We could go back to the simple basics of teaching the children by words and deeds and at the same time enabling the evolution of the intellect to stimulate an environment conducive for virtues to germinate and flower. Communal orientated sharing.

(Wees, does this make sense or am I really paoled?…)

Mighty Aphrodite
Mighty Aphrodite

February 15th, 2004, 10:27 am #8

WOW! brilliant! absolutely brilliantly articulated! 2 thumbs up!

DeCay
DeCay

February 16th, 2004, 12:48 am #9

DeCay, sorry for the long delay. The truth is you kind of shot my hypothesis out of the water and I spent all that time thinking. Serves me right I guess for trying to engage in a topic I know so little about. But then, as you say, maybe my ignorant rantings could kind of provoke thought and stimulate discussion to stimulate some discussions for my education.

But I must admit I am still reluctant to accept your “Null hypothesis”, which mind you, makes a lot of sense. I guess probably because I am one of those you could label or classify ‘romantics’. I maybe erroneously, like to believe in the good of things.

Who can really know of the mysteries of Narcissus’ ego.

Ok so if as you argue, the human heart is weak then maybe that weakness is due to the consciousness of being alone and fearful of the unknown. Maybe the heart is too scared of other hearts to relate to them. Doesn’t that make it innocent, pure and noble? Soft, meek and tender?

And hence it is easier for tendencies for vices to germinate than for tendencies for virtues when it (the heart) is subject to influences and provoked into activity, not by its own choice really, but instinctively in order for self preservation?

So how do we help? It’s the environment that we have to change. The hierarchic kind of development we pursue enables moral corruption. This kind of environment conduces everyone involved to competing for a prize; attention, fame, control, power etc.

We could go back to the simple basics of teaching the children by words and deeds and at the same time enabling the evolution of the intellect to stimulate an environment conducive for virtues to germinate and flower. Communal orientated sharing.

(Wees, does this make sense or am I really paoled?…)
Exile, thanks for the great response!

First, forgive me for taking ages in continuing our stimulating topic. I was on a now-or-never mode and had to prioritize my work before I turn my attention to 'extra curricular' activities such as this thread. Call it my self education in areas I know little about and would like to know more.

I particularly like your idea of hierarchical development as being responsible for moral corruption. Many years ago, a psychologist by the name of Abraham Maslow, proposed a famous theory of human needs and aspirations. In it he theorized that humans have a hierarchy of needs. In our everyday mundane and secular world our social lives largely revolve around satisfying our carnal (bodily) needs. That is, we need to eat, clothe ourselves and live under a roof with four walls - our basic objective of survival and security. Once we have those basic needs taken of, we start to think about satisfying our other needs, which are basically wants because they are not necessary for survival. We can think of all kinds of wants such as owning a car, owning and expanding a business, looking for romance, etc, etc, etc, etc...A large part of our lives today seems to be spent pursuing those unecessary things we do need to survive. This is the basis for our moral dillemma.

I have seen Maslow's theory really working in PNG. You take a nobody, who has very little money, does not own a house or business, is faithful to his wife and family, goes to church every sunday, does not drink alcohol, is good to everybody, etc...OK, this guys gets elected into parliament. Fair enough. After some months we hear he has opened a private account and deposited monies from his constituency funds; then we hear he is a piss pot; we again hear that he has dumped his wife of so many years and married another woman, he stopped seeing his friends, does not go to church anymore and now owns a house on Touaguba Hill. Sounds familiar, huh? But this is not restricted to politicians; we can extend this theory to other areas in life where having a job that pays very well makes men give in to their carnal desires and immoral living.

Since the beginning of human history, we have learnt that Man has fallen from Grace and thus corrupted himself because of his tendency to satisfy his carnal curiousity.

I am in absolute agreement with you that it's the environment that determines whether a human heart is good or corrupt. The human heart is like an innocent child caught in the middle of two worlds where one offers a life of vice and other a life of simplicity and morality. We choose what our heart desires but pretend that we dont have a choice by our indulgence in 'unnecessary living' because it has become our culture of consumption and 'cool' living. Even if the environment is successfuly removed, the 'withdrawal symptoms' of crawling out of the world of vice and immoral living will still send us back into that black hole that we crawled our from. It is firmly entrenched in our psyche.

I do agree that we can change this kind of world by educating our children to create a world that is free of immoral living.

^..^

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 17th, 2004, 7:55 am #10

WOW! brilliant! absolutely brilliantly articulated! 2 thumbs up!
Two thumbs up yours