HIV/AIDS in its High Dimensions

HIV/AIDS in its High Dimensions

TearGun
TearGun

August 3rd, 2004, 3:39 am #1

We should really talk about this issue....the so-called HIV/AIDS is silently reaping off the young generation, the work-force and the natural citizens of the country. We will be like one of the African nations that have been down-turned and 'showered' by the deadly disease. This deadly disease is not a personal issue for us to treat it personally...but it's of course a national issue coz not long, it will have long-term bad impacts on our economy. We can treat it personally to live long, however we must think ahead for our children and grand-children and foremost the future of PNG.

The so-called politicians in Waigani are talking politics 24/7. They are always hungry for power and everyone wants to be on the top regardless of whatsoever...and some wants to become overnight millionaires. They make blunt promises in the name of good policies, which are rarely fulfilled. I for one don't really understand when we will change this mentality and come to our sense. A minority in the likes of Lady Kidu and Dr. Puka Temu are sensible leaders. It seems to me that these two MPs are the only MPs that are talking about this deadly disease whilst the rest is playing the game of PNG POLITICS. It's about time, we stop PNG politics and come to our God-given sense.

Rape cases are increasing every single moment, so as incest and other sexual activities that are contributing to this ever escalating disease. Young females are employed once a sexual favour is granted. No one really cares about it...people are taking as a joke when there is an ad shown on EMTV and broadcasted via radios regarding the safety measures to be taken. Parents send away kids or swap TV and radio channels when there is such an ad. The AIDS Council in PNG is spending millions of Kina to carry out awareness but no-one seems to understand this effort and take them all lightly...now they (National AIDS Council) is asking the government to put in more funds to carry out more awareness ontop of what the donor countries are offering to us...they don't realise that no-one cares about the millions that are spent in this so-called awareness. They (National AIDS Council) is obliged to do what it is doing now coz it's only doing its job, but I can say that this is not the solution and nothing will be achieved through this. What have we achieved so far after all these many years of awareness?? We need to come back to our sense.

The foremost solution is only in GOD. In PNG, we have an attitude problem and we have this WHO CARE mentality. We will progress forward and this epidemic of HIV/AIDS will decrease only if we change our attitude and this mentality of WHO CARES ceases. A human being cannot change another human being. Only GOD can change a human being coz we all came from God whether we like it or not. Therefore, we all need to turn to God...God has all the solutions to our problems in the country. A change in the government will not change all these problems we are encountering...ONLY GOD HAS THE SOLUTION.

Another possible solution in perspective of the human mind (that is, not God's way) is to atleast minimise the ever escalating disease by legalising prostitution. This is in contrary to the foremost solution I have stated above BUT we have to understand that all humans are different and human beings are almost made up of feelings....by feelings I mean sexual feelings. This sexual lust in turns takes the course of unprotective and unbiblical sex, which eventually results in HIV/AIDS.
We cannot go on claiming PNG as a Christian country given the current stage. I myself am a Christian and I live by the Word of God...but the majority youngsters (both Christians and non-christians) know the consequences both spiritually and physically but yet they want to involve in such deadly activities. So to give them a fair go, we should legalise prostitution. Those who want to live for GOD must live according to the Word of God and must not turn to the right nor to the left...stay focused and KNOW WHOM YOU ARE SERVING. Those who want to live a 50/50 life can do so coz we all have the freedom to do that!

In sum, we need to get our lives right with God and the relevant authorities must legalise prostitution. Overall, God is the only solution.

More to say but this should be for now....God Bless PNG. This is just my one toea contibution so any youngsters out there who want to contribute can do so coz we are the future of the nation. WE CAN MAKE A GREAT DIFFERENCE only if we have the WISDOM and the right mindset.

Thanks!
TEARGUN

p.s. I can be reached on my email addy above if anyone is willing to discuss more on this issue and other issues affecting our beloved PNG. I am currently writing a proposal (during my free-times) on how PNG will curb HIV/AIDS...so if you think you can add your "one toea" idea, you are most welcome to contact me via email.

Mom
Mom

August 6th, 2004, 1:12 am #2

I myself was alarmed and bothered to know that there are quite a huge number of Papua New Guinean infected with HIV/AIDS. I think the government's effort to educate the people has not worked one hundred percent.

One thing I have noticed in PNG is that men are more likely to have multiple partners, and young girls are more likely to do the same. Thus, encouraging multiple sexual practices is spreading the disease like wild fire. Knowing PNG's poor health sector, most young people have never been diagnosed of having the disease and has been most likely unknowlingly spreading the disease.

The disease is very real and I in fact know a couple of relatives who are currently sick because of careless sexual practices. It is unfortunate, yes, but this is the harsh reality. I think the government will have to have more educational campaign and try to reach all Papua New Guineans to grassroots level. And for the youth, the government must encourage along with the church for the young people to practice restrain and abstain from sex.

Either that or we are definitely trying to race with Thailand and Laos-- whose AIDS/HIV carrier has drastically increased. And mind you, with PNG's poor and inadequate health programs, I highly doubt that legalizing prostitution will help.

Wanak from the LaipValley
Wanak from the LaipValley

December 28th, 2006, 4:07 pm #3

Last edited by 7milebeach on January 14th, 2007, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvester
Sylvester

December 28th, 2006, 7:23 pm #4

Ipatas concealed the facts from the latest governmental investigation into the virus that is wrecking the lives of thousands of Engans in Wabag.
The trouble arose from the Korean brothels that Ipatas permitted via bribes and shares in the illegal and tasteless businesses.

Santa Claus
Santa Claus

December 30th, 2006, 6:23 pm #5

I have been to Wabag and I did not know that Ipatas had Korean brothels. Does the great man himself use a brothel? I thought Ipatas had easy access to all the young ladies of Enga.

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

December 30th, 2006, 6:56 pm #6

Last edited by 7milebeach on January 14th, 2007, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saddam
Saddam

December 30th, 2006, 7:34 pm #7

Last edited by 7milebeach on January 14th, 2007, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Act now
Act now

December 30th, 2006, 11:20 pm #8

HIV/AIDs is a national epidemic. Therefore, this forum is the suitable place to discuss matters relating to it. Those who want to sidetrack from it are clearly on the wrong. Whether it’s wrecking lives in Wabag or Vanimo, it’s irrelevant. HIV/AIDs is here to destroy PNG.

AIDs is deadly. It doesn't care whether you're a Christian, a newly wed, chief of staff or an aspiring model. Once it lands on someone, the mission to END that soul's existence on planet earth has just started.

We all PNGeans need to take heed. It is advisable that, every PNGean take the Voluntary Test and Counseling (VCT) that is readily available in nearly all the provinces in PNG now. There is no need to fear. Death is irreversible. Fear is temporary and nobody dies from fear. It’s only a mental resistance and challenge to something that is truly good and beneficial. The program has just begun in PNG. With the Clinton Foundation supporting this initiative, I am sure, surely and slowly we'll change our sexual lifestyle and embody a more responsible mindset.

It's also helpful to undergo mandatory HIV testing before someone ties knots with another person then remain faithful thereafter.

Sex doesn't have to be treated as a secretive and taboo topic. It needs to be openly and frankly discussed with students and peers at school, workplaces and in the streets/markets.

Prostitution wrecks havoc in even the strictest and well regulated of countries where proper medical and control measures are in place. For it to happen in PNG legally, it will be a massive nightmare. Therefore it must never be allowed in PNG.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 31st, 2006, 4:23 am #9

Thank God we have HIV/AIDS.

Balances the population.

Separates the pimps and prostitutes from productive citizens.

However, I sympathize with those that are victims not of their own doing.

Mum
Mum

January 2nd, 2007, 10:41 am #10

You make out that the "pimps and prostitutes" are the ones responsible for the spread of HIV/Aids in PNG. If you bothered to do some research you will find that the PNG male who insists on exercising his cultural right to have multiple partners is the villain in the HIV/Aids situation in PNG.

The majority of aids infected people in PNG are under the age of 25; with the fastest spreading of the virus occurring through mothers and breastmilk. The women were at home minding their family while hubby was out bonking other women; he brings it home to the wife who falls pregnant and baby ends up with it too before she finds out what has happened.

Aids is predominantly a heterosexual problem in PNG and has its basis on men who insist on having more than one partner. The pimps and prostitutes are the group of people who are exercising "safe-sex"; unlike the rest of the population who just go at it hammer and tong without making any effort to make changes to their sexual behaviour.

You are the epitomy of the Aids epidemic; bare-faced ignorance and arrogance. Until that attitude changes; aids will continue to kill off the innocent at a far greater rate than those guilty of selfish sexual behaviour.