"Golden Chainsaw" award (links and report)

"Golden Chainsaw" award (links and report)

ml
ml

June 6th, 2006, 7:04 am #1

I am posting these links purely as information for anyone that may be interested or concerned about the logging industry within PNG...

If Admin have a problem with comments that may be made in relation to these links...please lock the post...thank you

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... d-as-loggi

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... st-plunder

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 6th, 2006, 7:07 am #2

Lock the post? Does Greenpeace support the suppression of free speech?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 6th, 2006, 7:19 am #3

Concerned about individuals getting reported to the Police, this issue is extremely controversial

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 6th, 2006, 7:54 am #4

Lock the post? Does Greenpeace support the suppression of free speech?
Mr Tiong is a very very rich man, in great part because of our willing gifts of unprocessed timber to his overseas mills! The 8th richest man in Malaysia says "Ol lain PNG mi laik tok bikpela tenkyu tru. Nau yupela kamap malaysian wantok blo mi ya".

8. Tan Sri Tiong Hiew King US$1.05 billion (RM3.85b) - 70

Mr Tiong's crown jewel is the Rimbunan Hijau Group, which has operations in Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand and Africa. His publishing house, Ming Pao Enterprises, has introduced local editions of Chinese-language daily Ming Pao in cities like San Francisco, New York, Vancouver and Toronto. In Papua New Guinea, Rimbunan Hijau owns a variety of operations from Kina Securities, to The National daily newspaper, RH Hypermart and numerous village based trade stores, and a host of other profitable operations.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 7th, 2006, 1:17 am #5

If you look at Malaysia's 40 richest men what you'll find is that the majority of them made their fortunes in agricultural commodities such as rubber, timber and palm oil. The rise of demand from India and China for such commodities bodes well for the continued long-term growth of the economy.

Mr Tiong is very pleased that his company went into Papua New Guinea. The nation is rich in natural resources and once RH cuts down all the timber, the people will be begging RH to put in oil palm. RH certainly will comply with that, focusing possibly on smallholder oil palm because that way even when the price goes down, RH makes a profit. It's only the little Papua New Guineans who will be working harder and harder for less and less money.

Papua New Guinea generally is an excellent investment opportunity because Papua New Guineans question nothing, welcome foreign investors with open arms, and are content being given the scraps.

Who would know all this better than Mr Tiong?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 8th, 2006, 5:06 am #6

FACTS-

By the middle 1990's, the Rimbunan Hijau group had flooded into Papua New Guinea, where it now
controls some 80% of the timber trade, and on into other parts of the South Pacific.

Mr Tiong is ranked by Forbes as the 746th richest person in the WORLD. Out of over 6 billion people.

Mr Tiong resides in Sibu, a town in Sarawak, a state in the part of Borneo island that belongs to Malaysia.

The Rimbunan Hijau group is actually co-owned, not only by Mr Tiong, but also by fellow
Sarawakian, Ahmad Rithauddeen, a Malay ex-
Minister of Defense. Tiong gained his advantage in Sarawak
through his close connections with the Chief Minister, Taib
Mahmud, who is also minister for forests. He shares a business,
Sarawak Plywood Sdn. Bhd., which holds a concession of 260,000
hectares and in which he has a controlling stake, with Taib's
sister. Tiong's company, the Rimbunan Hijau group, already
controls an estimated 1 million hectares in Sarawak and some 3
million hectares in Papua New Guinea.

Mr Tiong's operations include a US$58.5 million soft-wood plantation
development in New Zealand, a sawmill in Shanghai, a cattle ranch
in Australia, property in Singapore, as well as interests in
banking, newspapers and oil-palm plantations.

Despite Rimbunan Hijau's political protection - Tiong is also
close friends with Deputy Chief Minister Wong Soon Kai - Rimbunan
Hijau has been caught for tax evasion, the Asian Wall Street
Journal has reported. Moreover, the Tiong family's patronage by
Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad was strained early in 1994,
when Tiong opened a new optical fibre company in Kuala Lumpur in
partnership with the Prime Ministers' sons - Mukhriz, Mukhzani
and Mirzan. The elite connections won the company 'pioneer
status', entitling it to a five year corporate tax holiday, but
despite lavish investments the company has failed to turn a
profit. The Asian Wall Street Journal hints that relations
between Mahahtir and Tiong have been strained by the business.

In July 2004 Rimbunan Hijau transferred ownership of its
flagship plywood operation, Jaya Tiasa Plywood, to Berjaya
Textiles, in exchange for 348.3 million shares in Berjaya
Textiles, giving the Tiong family an 83% stake in the company.
Rimbunan Hijau now hopes to complete the take over through a
reverse buy out, which if completed will make Berjaya Textiles
little more than a vehicle for Rimbunan Hijau's timber business.
If the deal goes through, Berjaya Textiles also intends to take
over Rimbunan Hijau Plywood for a further US$55.3 million in
cash. The deal will make Berjaya Textiles, which two years ago
had almost no experience in the timber industry, into one of the
largest timber companies on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange with
a total plywood production capacity of 50,000 cubic metres per
month! Rimbunan Hijau gains two ways from the deal. Because
Berjaya Textiles is a listed company on the stock exchanges it
can hope to fund future investments by selling stocks and it can
also captalise the massive new timber operations that Berjaya is
building up in the Solomons, Suriname and Guyana.

Most of this info was from-www.native-net.org/archive/nl/9410/0008.html

countryman
countryman

June 8th, 2006, 10:11 am #7

I have spent the last hour reading all the posts and searching the internet regarding RH's operations in Papua New Guinea and I am uterly gutted by the way the company is handling the resources and the people of PNG. As a Papua New Guinean I feel ripped off, when I think about what is happening now to the land, the resouces, and what will happen in the future. I tell ya, after RH is done with PNG, we will never be proud owners of the biggest rainforest outside of the Amazon.

I was wondering if any patriotic and loyal countrymen and women out there that would really push for staging a March against RH's operations in PNG and even get the public to petition the government, or come up with a way to do this. There are organisations like Greenpeace that are crying over this alone. We need to let the PNG public know and make known our smpathy for our people and resources to the Government and the concerned authorities, even if they are getting bribed millions...

Please help save PNG!
(tingting blong mi tasol, sapos anyone wishing to further develop this idea post here and we'll go further)

Countryman

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 10th, 2006, 6:51 am #8

I am posting these links purely as information for anyone that may be interested or concerned about the logging industry within PNG...

If Admin have a problem with comments that may be made in relation to these links...please lock the post...thank you

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... d-as-loggi

http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... st-plunder
I assume that someone in Greenpeace or associated with Greenpeace had such fast access to all these links and posted them.

This posting is primarily directed at them.

Greenpeace, it is past due that you start putting all that you know about Rimbunan Hijau's activities in PNG on the internet in an easily accessible form so that Papua New Guineans with access to the web are able to learn in detail how RH treats our village people, how it cheats our government of revenue, and how it bribes our leaders and corrupts our society.

RH operates all over the country, there is the strong sense that it does so with impunity, yet where is the meat? In other words, there isn't much available on the internet specific to PNG and detailing incidents and stories. Why not?

A movement to get Rimbunan Hijau out of Papua New Guinea can not and should not be driven by Greenpeace. It needs to be driven by Papua New Guineans representing a cross section of society. I'm sure that you will agree with that, Greenpeace. This fight with RH really has less to do with environment and foreign NGOs than it revolves around a threat to our sovereignty and a basic lack of respect for Papua New Guineans by RH.

Nevertheless, Greenpeace, you are in one of the best roles to get out detailed information on how RH is operating in our country.

Please start providing this information more than you have in the past. Post information there, put the information elsewhere on the web, and overall make these details accessible to all of us. Certainly the amount of information we have available to affect how serious we become at doing what is necessary to push RH out of PNG.

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

June 10th, 2006, 11:17 pm #9

Anon,
I am a Greenpeace supporter. Inasmuch as, they take a set amount out of my Visa card each month, as a donation.

Just two nights ago I increased my donation, as aresult of a phone call from one of their representatives. These extra funds are earmarked for use in PNG, against the Foreign logging companies.

The nub of the matter is; frame your questions, and I will include them in a letter to Greenpeace. I am going to write a letter anyhow, for I have a few questions of my own. I know the Greenpeace reps (operatives hehe) in PNG, feel very threatened. So a lot of the money is going towards providing security for their people. These are funds that could be put to better use elsewhere, if the need for security was not so pressing.

If you do not wish to post your questions on this forum, just say so. I will give you my email addy in that case.

Regards......Ralph.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 11th, 2006, 12:35 am #10

Many thanks, here are my suggestions, others may have their own. My suggestion is that they put MUCH MUCH more information about RH and its activities on the internet IF Greenpeace truly wants its work to be captured and used by the greater number of Papua New Guineans who see the RH issue not as one of environmental destruction, but one of injustice and corrupted national sovereignty.

Specifically, there is not enough information available concerning:

(1) All subsidiaries of RH operating in PNG: their names, their managers, other connections, etc.
(2) Maps showing where RH is operating in PNG
(3) Stories of injustice and atrocities to villagers, as the villagers report (their names should be kept anonymous if they wish because RH might try to get payback).
(4) Photographs of the destruction of RH and/or the lack of any meaningful development. The crap dirt roads without drainage, the crap classrooms, etc.
(5) More information if possible about the finances of RH in PNG.

I'm sure in all the years that Greenpeace has operated in PNG, they would have heaps of the above kind of information but until it is accessible to the public, it is close to worthless.

Thanks so much Ralph. Maybe a copy of your letter straight to Greenpeace PNG would be useful. Does anyone know their address and exactly where in POM they are located?