Education reform???

Education reform???

worried tisa
worried tisa

April 16th, 2008, 11:45 am #1

People of PNG, I dont know if many of you are aware of what's happening in our primary and high school with the new reform education system.

I don't know but I came from the old system, the not so old, but the one from the nineties. But, I just do not know or cannot see where our education system and our young ones are heading with this new education system.

The reform that was started some years ago in elementary and primary school is now moving into the secondary school level. In this reform system, the learning is outcome based they say where, the teacher is the facilitator and student initiate most of what happens in thier learning process. Also, they have made science and social sciences subject in high school to be optional subjects and Personal development has now become the core subject. Next year, the year nines who have started this year, will not be sitting science or social science exams. They will be doing only three exams: English, maths, and Personal Development.

This means, that if a school does not want to teach science at all, they can do so and no science would be taught to thier students.

This reform, I have seen to be not so practical in a developing country like PNG, and I will state 2 problems as I have come to realize:

1. Most of our schools do not have the facility to conduct an outcomes based education system. I mean, if the students were to carry out thier own learning, they need resources to do so. YOu just walk into any high school in the city and take the ratio of the number of students there are to the available text books or library resources they can use. And if resources are scarce in the city, what about the 90 plus percent of schools in the rural areas?

2. What's going to happen to our young ones who are aspiring to be medical doctors, scientists, engineers, etc who unfortunately find themselves in schools that would not offer the science subjects they would need for thier future career path? I feel that the standard of our education system is being lowered and is not going to help us much.

Anyways, this is my observation from a teacher's point of view. Those who have written it and are forcing us to implement may have some positive reasons why, but as far as I can see, I am afraid of the way our education system is heading.

I dont even understand why all this has to be forced on us to be implemented? I mean, if this was meant to improve the standard of our education system, why do I feel that it is doing exactly the opposite?

Worried Tisa stret ...

LiZa
LiZa

April 17th, 2008, 4:04 am #2

Worried Tisa....You sure have a reason to be worried coz the reform thats been introduced is nothing but a FARCE!!!! It is just so pathetic that the Outcome Based education should be introduced when the majority of schools especially in the rural PNG dont even have a library...or if they did, all the books in there are out dated and should have been weeded out. I am not sure if who ever is the drive behind introducing out come base education does really understand how it works....that teachers are only facilatators whilst students take charge of their own learning...now how on earth is that going to happen if resources are not readily available.

so much to say on this topic....but the question is 'are we really equiped to take on out come base education?????

PN
PN

February 11th, 2009, 1:42 am #3

Secretary Pagelio's OBE Defense Shallow

The Education Secretary's recent defense of the OBE system (09th Feb The National - http://www.thenational.com.pg/020909/letter2.php) was boneless and shallow.

His admission that there were" teaching and learning resources" issues with the OBE, then in the same line countered that, the teachers can be " innovative by using their knowledge and skills". As an ardent critique of OBE, I ask the good Doctor the following.

* How can underpaid teachers (their flight is well known through the media) switch on "innovation buttons" when they feel they're not being well-cared for and looked after by their employer - the government? Innovations come from motivated, content and dynamic employees/workers in all aspects of life.

* With little to nil library facilities in nearly 95% of schools in PNG, where does this innovative and creative juice come from?

* There's no Internet (the 21st century floating library) available for more than 98% of schools in PNG. Where do the teachers get the inspiration to infuse the students with creative and innovative ideas?

* The Minister for Higher Education was recently quoted as saying that there's an acute shortage of "science and Math" teachers. It has been a growing quandary in hundreds of schools right across PNG. These subjects are main areas where innovation, knowledge and skills come from teachers. So I ask: How on earth do you expect innovation and skills come from a "vacuum like this? http://www.col.org/pcf3/Papers/PDFs/Gun ... singhe.pdf. The good secretary doesn't seem to know that the "ability to think" at the earlier stage in life comes mostly through science and math subjects.

* It has been observed by Universities (and reported on the media many times) that, OBE graduates' Language, writing and comprehension skills were outrageous. Where does the good Queensland University of Technology educated doctor http://www.alumni.qut.edu.au/awards/alu ... ummary.jsp want to collect the specimen and research materials from for his so-called "requirement of "substantiated research"? Many University leactuters and other school teachers have come our clear on this already. These are the people who interact with the students on a daily basis. Their observation cannot be disregarded by the class-wall people at the Waigani offices.

* It's common knowledge that School Infrastructure nationwide are in shocking and dilapidated state. Is that a good birth place of new ideas and innovation?

* When compared with students from the Old Education System, the current batch of so-called OBE products is deficient in good behaviour, values and positive social attitudes. Does the good doctor want to spoil another generation of PNG citizens in the name of addressing community and industry needs? For his information, he needs to know that the community and the industry doesn't need one ill-disciplined and careless person.

* The Gr 10 and Gr 12 Examination Standards have hit ground zero - and going negative. The examination questions are not stimulating and complex unlike the Pre OBE days. The OBE system is mass producing A's and B's that don't reflect reasoning and understanding skills of the students. A quick glance at a 1992 Gr 12 Physics and Math Papers with a 2006 Exam papers tells a world of difference.

Mr Secretary, the country needs better explanation on the above from your desk. If you cannot provide any more simple and better answers to the above, I say, scrap OBE starting 2010.

Please don't waste our time by asking for substantiated research findings. Definitely the world is not waiting for PNG. Your department's ill-advised decisions have shunted the growth and progress of PNG in a major scale already.

Passionate Nationalist
Pre OBE Student
Port Moresby

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 11th, 2009, 3:10 pm #4

the OBE is design in such a way to reduce the intellectual capacity of PNGs children, and make them more dependent.

Papua New Guineans should fully aware that, OBE is one of the strategies from the external force design to reduce the thinking/intellectual capacity of young generation and to make them less productive in knowledge and rely more on others. Knowledge and learning is under the microscope of "Mind Control" which is the strategy use is reducing the thinking and learning capacities of bright and brilliant learners and thinkers.

The education system in PNG should be more active and practical base education than more passive base.

Conclusion: Why is Australia so keen in reforming PNG education system? Is PNG a treat to Australian intellectual capacities in 20-50 years from now?

these are very serious questions that needs to be answered by individual Papua New Guineans

Illusion
Illusion

February 11th, 2009, 5:51 pm #5

i don't realy know bout these things but here is my liklik contribution.You see the best way to control people is to keep them ignorant.And is so hard to keep educated people ignorant.Right out abolishing education would spill the beans so the best way is to control the educaton they get.People can go on to become lawyers and accountants but still be an uneducated person.They will have careers but still be ignorant of larger issues around the globe.Em tasol for today...:PPeaceOut

Another Nationalist
Another Nationalist

February 12th, 2009, 1:05 am #6

We need a "National Referendum" to end this OBE Policy that is clearly a recipe for "National Retardation and Degeneration"

Please copy and past PN's email plus the other comments mass email to everyone on your list.

We need to ACT now !

Illusion
Illusion

February 12th, 2009, 4:48 am #7

ya..and soon original thinking will be out of the picture.And when the time comes everybody will be reciting what someone else think or what he think he answer should be.But what bout our own original point of view.Meh!We don't have to worry bout that hehe.The new system will be base on learning how to use libraries and using authorities found in those libraries as sources...pPeaceOut

Not easily convinced
Not easily convinced

February 16th, 2009, 6:41 am #8

The following piece says Dr Pagelio was awarded a Medal for spearheading Education Reform in PNG.
One wonders whether he has been recognised for a worthy case for PNG or for "achieving the goals" of
Australia.

This Education Faculty Medal looks fishy

Faculty of Education Winner

Joseph has devoted more than thirty years to the advancement of education in Papua New Guinea. His began his career in 1975 as a teacher in Morobe Province, advancing to high school headmaster, inspector, and then to a number of policy and planning appointments within the Department of Education. Earlier this year, Joseph was appointed Permanent Secretary for Education. Since then, he has been leading the reform of an education system facing a unique set of geographical, social and economic challenges. Prominent among them are the lack of social cohesion and the huge linguistic diversity of a large and remote population dispersed over vast areas of wilderness that is poorly served by transport and infrastructure. Reform has been focussed on developing a national curriculum which is skills and outcomes-based, relevant to students, and responsive to the needs of industry and the community. Joseph completed his Doctor of Education at QUT.

http://www.alumni.qut.edu.au/awards/alu ... ummary.jsp

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 16th, 2009, 3:07 pm #9

Papua New Guineans should not only concern about the high cost of paying their childrens' education in the future, but should NOW concern about the so call; "unfair educational reform" that has been implemented in PNG's education systems.

Its not the cost how much you pay, but the quality outcome of the educational skills and capacities that the future children of PNG will have is the greatest concern.

The OBE educational reform that taking place in PNG, will destory the intellectual learning capacities of bright and brilliant Papua New Guineans.

OBE reforms will produce more lawyers, accountants, bank tellers, teachers, drivers, cleaners etc. This educational reform will produce less experience or unqualified science and engineering graduates the 20-30 years from now.

Illusion
Illusion

February 17th, 2009, 5:32 pm #10

The following piece says Dr Pagelio was awarded a Medal for spearheading Education Reform in PNG.
One wonders whether he has been recognised for a worthy case for PNG or for "achieving the goals" of
Australia.

This Education Faculty Medal looks fishy

Faculty of Education Winner

Joseph has devoted more than thirty years to the advancement of education in Papua New Guinea. His began his career in 1975 as a teacher in Morobe Province, advancing to high school headmaster, inspector, and then to a number of policy and planning appointments within the Department of Education. Earlier this year, Joseph was appointed Permanent Secretary for Education. Since then, he has been leading the reform of an education system facing a unique set of geographical, social and economic challenges. Prominent among them are the lack of social cohesion and the huge linguistic diversity of a large and remote population dispersed over vast areas of wilderness that is poorly served by transport and infrastructure. Reform has been focussed on developing a national curriculum which is skills and outcomes-based, relevant to students, and responsive to the needs of industry and the community. Joseph completed his Doctor of Education at QUT.

http://www.alumni.qut.edu.au/awards/alu ... ummary.jsp

Well you hav a valid point .The ObE was intruduced basically to simplify things for the controllers.With all their money , the grants and the foreign aids plus a little control/ownership over the media makes it easy to move us towards a path they think is the right direction instead of us doing our own thinking..Em Tasol..:PPeaceOut