Cancer in the National Fisheries Authority; A Fishy Affair

Cancer in the National Fisheries Authority; A Fishy Affair

Countryside
Countryside

August 6th, 2010, 2:49 am #1

My dear grandmother died of thyroid cancer and it was ghastly. Her tender body rapidly deteriorated and because the cancer had closed her mouth, the only way to feed her was to drill a hole through her stomach and for to breathe, another through her throat. She had it bad and her odor was very strong, almost similar to putrification. It was advanced and after 6 months, she went home to be with the lord.

You see cancer is a class of diseases in which a group of cells display uncontrolled growth (division beyond the normal limits), invasion (intrusion on and destruction of adjacent tissues), and sometimes metastasis (spread to other locations in the body via lymph or blood). These three malignant properties of cancers differentiate them from benign tumors, which are self-limited, and do not invade or metastasize.

Most cancers form a tumor but some, like leukemia, do not. Cancers are caused by abnormalities in the genetic material of the transformed cells. These abnormalities may be due to the effects of carcinogens, such as tobacco smoke, radiation, chemicals, or infectious agents. Other cancer-promoting genetic abnormalities may randomly occur through errors in DNA replication, or are inherited, and thus present in all cells from birth. The heritability of cancers is usually affected by complex interactions between carcinogens and the host's genome.

The National Fisheries Authority display cancer type symptoms, Corruption. Designed to manage and facilitate our fisheries resources, it has become a club for the big boys in the fisheries industry. It has uncontrollable growth of mismanagement, it invades like metastasi where the entire fisheries sector is affected by its chaotic feat and at the end, tragically like my grandmother, it is killing the people of Papua New Guinea.

Having negotiated various treaties for the government of PNG with competent, passionate PNGns, (who have all but left because of this filth), I am quite perplexed at the current state of affairs in our fisheries negotiations. Driven by private sector radicals that care absolutely nothing about our people, they have used the kumul flag to profiteer their cause. Locking in deals with Asia, the EU and many others. Tragically, these arrangements grossly undervalues our resource and people. Our access agreements are at best, access fees and the NFA has not been able to use these opportunities to demand socio economic programmes to develop our people. The miracles of the Fisheries College, coastal programmes are all aid money and nothing from the access agreements.

You see for this cancer to sustain itself, it needs to invade and like the corruption in the regulatory services in the US Financial System, the NFA Managing Director is an industry man and wantoks, hes been rewarded well. Ive watched this man singlehandedly scream down his enforcement officers that were trying to lay charges on a major industry player for demanding them to improve their facilities as they are hazardous for both employees and food safety. In another incident, spending millions of kina to pursue an unrealistic agenda internationally, that was fueled by wanabee saviors of the fisheries sector. Indeed the smell of putrification is overwhelming and they are indeed, rot to the core.

So when I look at the men and women in Madang factories who have lost everything, I cannot help feeling so betrayed by the government I worked for. We fought the cause for our people in every major global fisheries fora. From cynical pomp ass green Caucasians, to bitchy Asians who wanted to get what the other guy got, we pushed the agenda for PNG so that NFA will go further in giving our wantoks the opportunity to partake in these relationships. But instead they have squandered the money for themselves and continue to fight for the Filipinos.

But if there is any comfort I have is that fish, unlike cancer are mostly highly migratory species. They travel extensively in packs and traverse the oceans for suitable spawning grounds or condusive environments to habitat. There is a new breed of PNGns swimming against the current of corruption and as they see the filth and decomposition of what the NFA has become, they are eager to change it. From the managers, officers to the analysists, keep up the fight guys. For those of you that still wear the blue shirt or blouse with the fish tick and fighting the fight, God is on your side. May he give you the courage and wisdom that when you turn your computers on today at 11 Floor Deloittes, you see the 4 million men and women that lean on you for survival. For it was because of them, the NFA was created.

August 6th, 2010, 12:10 pm #2

Well CS, most of things that happen at the higher ups, people at the bottom don't know.

The government has a way of making people believe things.The way they want us to believe.If theres somethings fishy ,one
day it will all come out.By that time people will treat it as a dead issue.

Many of what you wrote here maybe we'll be realize as the truth)-).Thats if they haven't manage to destroy all the evidences.

Anon
Anon

October 3rd, 2010, 9:13 am #3

All the evidence and investigations into NFA have been there for many years...it is the lack of prosecution and accountability..which allows ppl to continue with this cancer - corruption. Steal a bag of rice...go to bomana, steal millions..and it is misappropriation...walk away with a slap on the back.

See this click and others:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w-JRgntpeE
An interesting world debate on BBC World, with Global NGO representatives and world leaders on aid effectivness.

One of the conclusions from this BBC debate was... basically - you can have all the good intentions in the world, NGOS and governments keep pouring aid and corporatoins pouring investment into PNG, but unless our leaders are transparent and accountable... we will never progress...instead, a few get rich and effectively kill their fellow citizens...through lack of access to medication for preventable and cureable diseases, clean water, education and better quality of life... Corruption is a cancer that kills (Chief and all the levels of government below them)!!! Wantok system is an excuse...and not the melanesian way..if it means comprimising our future!

Progress is through empowering and supporting the people...Money flooding the econmy doesn't nessesarly equal progress for the benefit of the current and future generations...

It is within the power of politicians to prioritise investment into social and physical infrastructure, and policies that promote and empower people to participate in development and help us acheive our millenium development goals.... It the responsibility of a government to appoint people with the appropriate qualifications and/or do studies so that they make educated decisions for the benefit of the nation down to the grass roots...rather than selfish ones.....lots success has been seen internationally through the private sector and empowering people through small/mediuum enterprises...and micro finanace... Millenium goals are acheivable...with the right leaders, resources and policies....They just have to have the political will!

October 3rd, 2010, 7:54 pm #4

I see it all the time.People with good intentions go out to change things.Some with very good credentials.But once they are out there, in the real world they find themselves in the middle of a sea of people who are out to take care of their own interest first.So they start playing the system too.Some politicans who criticize others for corruption are the the biggest hypocrites themselves...

..TC

October 3rd, 2010, 11:51 pm #5

Me too, I agree.

I worked with a friend who he went into power and now a public leader. My friend has now dumped the very "values and virtues" we stood by and for. All because those "values and virtues" are no longer compatible to being in power as we have new found interests that now oppose the "values and virtues" that we beheld when we had no power and recognition thus once when we were just street boys.

For me, after all the promise and purpose, it had become a life of compromise from day one when the very "things" that captivated us and that we dreamed of not doing and that we vowed never to do, had gotten ourselves hooked and enslaved into, BIG TIME. I make no proud mention and reference to those "things"...

Power corrupts, and absolutely, if utilized wrongly... I guess. The world is still in need of leaders who have "values and virtues"...and who are able to live by them and practice them by checking the "things" that come with power. How and where can we find "good" leaders who will not compromise is my prayer and my question?

Hello?

October 4th, 2010, 7:23 am #6

Good leaders are very illusive these days.I think what we should be doing is forcus more on who gets the job done and not which region should the next PM comes from etc

October 4th, 2010, 6:14 pm #7

Thanks Countryside for sharing this. It is good to know that there are some well intentioned Papua New Guineans still fighting the good fight

Last edited by DeFlash on October 4th, 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.