Arriving at Unitech

Arriving at Unitech

Roots Student
Roots Student

January 10th, 2007, 3:01 am #1

About this time last year my friends and I arrived at Unitech. It was a dream come true for we use to talk about it everynight while still in Malala Catholic Secondary and now we were here. It was a spectacular feeling to be on campus however there I could sense the devil in disguise somewhere and from that the day I arrived on campus was the day I wanted to leave.
We were the second generation to attend and from our fathers point of view thay stated that the campus hasn't changed a bit. It was shocking news. What Unitech the only technological institution in the country. You got to be kidding me. Its for real son. The Matheson LIbrary, Kopi Haus, Amin Building etc has changed a bit. It looks ancient no maintaince or upgrading whatsoever.
To make things even worse my friends and I had to stay up till 4 am Saturday morning to get our room keys. Gees so much for a Technological institution. When will Unitech live up to its name as a Technological instituion with up to date technologies and information. Oh wait... I think it already has.

KKKaaaaarrrrrrrrrbbbbuuuuuupppppppp!!!!!

Roots Student
Roots Student

January 10th, 2007, 3:04 am #2

.......Admin building etc hasn't changed a bit.

thx

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2007, 11:17 am #3

Was just wondering...when will the semester resume this yia.

Roots Student
Roots Student

January 17th, 2007, 4:25 am #4

From what I heard it will commence on the 26th of February.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 4th, 2007, 11:39 pm #5

tru yah! when will unitech live up to its name?

Ph.d. (ex unitech)
Ph.d. (ex unitech)

February 5th, 2007, 10:46 pm #6

About this time last year my friends and I arrived at Unitech. It was a dream come true for we use to talk about it everynight while still in Malala Catholic Secondary and now we were here. It was a spectacular feeling to be on campus however there I could sense the devil in disguise somewhere and from that the day I arrived on campus was the day I wanted to leave.
We were the second generation to attend and from our fathers point of view thay stated that the campus hasn't changed a bit. It was shocking news. What Unitech the only technological institution in the country. You got to be kidding me. Its for real son. The Matheson LIbrary, Kopi Haus, Amin Building etc has changed a bit. It looks ancient no maintaince or upgrading whatsoever.
To make things even worse my friends and I had to stay up till 4 am Saturday morning to get our room keys. Gees so much for a Technological institution. When will Unitech live up to its name as a Technological instituion with up to date technologies and information. Oh wait... I think it already has.

KKKaaaaarrrrrrrrrbbbbuuuuuupppppppp!!!!!
Unitech has been changing.. and it continues to change. And the state it is in now is part of that change.

Did Unitech ever had a "name" to live up to in the first place? Nope. Much of the rest of the world have never heard about Unitech. Does it matter? Nope..

So, are you telling us that your learning abilities will be hampered by the state of buildings in Unitech? or by Unitech "not living up to its name"? And what name is this that you refer to?

In my life I have come across two types of people:
1) People who, in their narrow mindedness think they are entitled to the best of everything and end up complaining about every situation.

2). People, who are destined for bigger things in life, who see a place like Unitech as just a place to stop over for a few years in their journey in life to greater things. They will make the best use of their opportunity while there regardless of situations.

I learned long ago that, it is not the buildings that count but what you gained/learned while in those old buildings.

Masters Degree (ex Unitech)
Masters Degree (ex Unitech)

February 6th, 2007, 12:13 am #7

True, True...

It is not the state of the buildings. It is the state of your mind. If your mind cannot, you will not in this life, ever, ever do anything.

Unitech has produced quality PNGeans in those "old buildings" and now they are all over the world doing what they have absorved in those buildings.

Son, you have a long way to go. Don't let old Sandover building or Matheson library for that matter play games with your mind.

Masters Degree
(ex Unitech)

Roots Student
Roots Student

February 8th, 2007, 10:39 am #8

i thank u phd and masterdegree for replying to my post.
First of all i am not complaining i am only stating my experience and point of view while being a student at The Papua New Guinea University of Technology.
Well to answer your questions phd i am not telling u guys that the buildings will hinder my enthusiasm to learn. i came to unitech to reap the benefits in my studies and hopeful have a good job at the end of the day. The buildings don't worry me is just that it has to be painted or maintained so it looks appealing. Coz people from all over the world come in everyday to the campus. Whether to make a seminar, visit the habitat or just touring. i believe unitech should give a good impression of itself so when they leave they can have an experience or a photo to talk about.
i am proud to be a student of unitech am just concerned about want others would say about our university. I don't know whether they'll give back a positive or negative comment after their visit. But as far as i'm concern i am capable and have the potential to endure any obstacle that comes my way.
The name i'm referring to is the thoughts of the citizens of png that they possess when they hear, read or see anything regarding to The Papua New Guinea University of Technology. In their minds they are aware that the cream of the national highs n secondary attended unitech and they respect whoever they are regardless of sex, province or cultural background. Parents have high expectations that their child will obtain the most in their studies and have a successful career when they graduate. So moreover, unitech is the place that the citizens of this young nation can rely to extract the potentials they possess.
But right now it is fading when students rape, vandalise and have cultural conflicts amongst themselves. Female students also walk in fear in broad daylight cause they don't know what will pop up on the road.

thanks for your words of wisdom might consider it but am in the middle of one and two.
Now you can say that you have met three kinds of people.

kind regards
ruts student

Masters Degree (ex unitech)

February 9th, 2007, 9:56 am #9

Roots Student,

I share your sentiments. You are not wrong. We all feel for unitech but it's the powers that be that decide to give an uplift not only to the dilapidated buildings but the good reputation of our unitech. Of course as students and ex-students we all should contribute directly or indirectly to uphold its reputation.

wanbel em stap. The best to your studies and time in unitech.

Roots Student
Roots Student

February 9th, 2007, 10:31 pm #10

i thank u mastersdegree for your contribution. I hope our point of discussion will aid unitech in anyway. thanks for your time and u have a nice day.

Cheers
Roots Student