Abortion debate

Abortion debate

Mighty Aphrodite
Mighty Aphrodite

October 23rd, 2003, 2:49 am #1

Ol meri, your views on this issue please!! Its an issue of increasing concern in PNG and one which should be addressed.

-----------------------------------------------------

Taken from Post Courier (23.10.03)

Open debate on abortion - Mola

A LEADING gynaecologist and a Government Minister yesterday called for more debate on abortion.
This was to ensure the issue, as sensitive as it is, was discussed fully and the law relating to it fully understood, Dr Glen Mola and Minister for Social Welfare and Development Lady Carol Kidu told a Port Moresby conference.
While abortion was illegal in the country, it was also legal for it to be performed if a mother’s life was in danger.
“The general perception in PNG is that you are not allowed to touch the baby. No doctor would want to do that but there are exceptions where a mother’s life is in danger and I’m sorry to say, but the baby has to go,’’ Dr Mola said.
He said the law on abortion was inherited from the United Kingdom through Queensland, Australia. After independence it was modified in the early 1980s when there was suddenly an increase in abortions.
A legal opinion given at that time by the State Solicitor states that “it was legal to terminate a pregnancy if the life of a woman was in danger if she was to continue the pregnancy’’.
“Although that opinion was given in 1983, it was never really understood. It is a sensitive issue and the last thing that any doctor would want is to be accused of killing babies,” Dr Mola said.
He said about two to three women called him every second day asking for an abortion but he turned them down, adding there were private clinics performing abortions in PNG.
However, whether these were done to protect a women’s lives was not clear and he urged people not make judgmental accusations.
Women were also performing abortions through unsafe methods while there were others who had gone to Australia for the operation.
He said many women were dying from unsafe abortions and something needed to be done to address the issue, including offering counselling to help women make the right decisions.
Lady Kidu said the maternal death rate in PNG was high and one way to tackle this was to educate women about their reproductive rights to be able to make informed choices.
She urged government departments work with the Health Department on the issue.

'mk'
'mk'

October 28th, 2003, 6:40 am #2

I don't seem to find the right words for this sensitive and yet very important and or challenging topic for PNG as a whole. But more importantly for all women of child-bearing age who at one time or another in their life have to deal with it. Therefore, this topic cannot be ignored as it deseves some good discussion.However, as Dr Mola has warned,we must be mindful not to be judgemental whether it be from religious point of view or for other cultural/obligatory reasons because it is something we as a country have lived with it in ignorance for such a long time. My personal feeling is that we should not be shallow and restrict the reasons for the mother/woman opting to have abortion for 'health reasons' only, i.e. health of the mother as it seems to be the trend of thinking now,well the public is led to believe so anyway when it comes to this very issue apart from Christianity. The bottom line should be that...'every child should be a wanted child and likewise, every abortion should be a wanted abortion' (Maski long wokim nating, nating, nambaut, nambaut!).

MKay

Proude9incher
Proude9incher

October 30th, 2003, 9:33 am #3

Abortion is a fhuckin sin against God.

Proude9incher

Annoyed
Annoyed

October 30th, 2003, 9:48 am #4

Hey stupid, dont tok nogut and use the name of the Lord in the same sentence. Nogut em strickim you dead.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2012, 4:33 am #5

I don't seem to find the right words for this sensitive and yet very important and or challenging topic for PNG as a whole. But more importantly for all women of child-bearing age who at one time or another in their life have to deal with it. Therefore, this topic cannot be ignored as it deseves some good discussion.However, as Dr Mola has warned,we must be mindful not to be judgemental whether it be from religious point of view or for other cultural/obligatory reasons because it is something we as a country have lived with it in ignorance for such a long time. My personal feeling is that we should not be shallow and restrict the reasons for the mother/woman opting to have abortion for 'health reasons' only, i.e. health of the mother as it seems to be the trend of thinking now,well the public is led to believe so anyway when it comes to this very issue apart from Christianity. The bottom line should be that...'every child should be a wanted child and likewise, every abortion should be a wanted abortion' (Maski long wokim nating, nating, nambaut, nambaut!).

MKay
This is true. There are many reasons why a pregnant lady would want to abort her baby. Sometimes the reason has good sense, sometimes it doesn't. For example: if a lady got pregnant as a result of rape, then she should be allowed to abort, but if a lady just did some foul play and ends up pregnant, then the baby is innocent so why kill it. It never asked to be brought into this world nor did it ask to be killed, so ladies have to think twice before having unprotected sex. If you think you would be ok to keep the baby, then fine, go right ahead and have unprotected sex. But if you don't want to get pregnant, then think wisely and go on family planning or use a condom... there is a lot of awareness about this safety measures of sex... we should make use of them... we are just being plain ignorant.

Andrew
Andrew

July 3rd, 2012, 1:36 am #6

Legalise it.Percentage of people who'll agree abortion should be legalise I think will be overwhelming

WD
WD

July 3rd, 2012, 1:51 am #7

In PNG we don't have to follow any laws we don't like anyway so it really doesn't matter if its made legal or not. we can do whatever we want. Ask our PM.

enough
enough

July 4th, 2012, 6:24 am #8

Please don't bring Christianity into this debate. Christianity teaches love, life, family, the nurturing and preservation of precious life as founded by the Creator. I am sick of people rattling on about Christians trying to shove religion down their throat when it comes to abortion.

If people want to rebel against God and kill off of humans created in his image, they have wandered away from God's protection, spit into God's face and do not want God's laws to interfere with their lives and affairs.

The Bible has a condition for that rebellion. God giving up on them (Romans 1). Em yu yet nau.

Let them be as they want. They know what they are doing.

Konfus
Konfus

July 4th, 2012, 7:11 pm #9

WHO brought Christianity into the debate????????? I'm looking at the posting you've replied to and there's not a thing about Christianity in their comments!

Anyway, you can't dictate whether or not Christianity can be brought into the debate. People can do whatever they want.

Grace
Grace

October 8th, 2012, 4:19 am #10

Abortion is a fhuckin sin against God.

Proude9incher
Why would you care?
If you cared about sinning you wouldn't be using such profanity when referring to what is pleasing to God.

HYPOCRITE!!!