"When the World Turns Upside Down" VS. "Over the Rainbow"

Topics include Oz movies, stage shows and television from silent films and animated features to the 1939 MGM classic.

"When the World Turns Upside Down" VS. "Over the Rainbow"

Angelo Thomas

01 Aug 2011, 00:03 #1

Lea Michele's song "When the World Turns Upside Down" from Dorothy of Oz leaked online recently, and I think that that it deliberately copies "Over the Rainbow", specifically in the first verse. This verse from Over the Rainbow that I'm referring to isn't in the movie, but it is in ALW's production and in the Wizard of Oz songbooks out there.

When the World Turns Upside Down
When the world turns upside down...

Over the Rainbow
When all the world is a hopeless jumble... 

What do you think?

jaredadavis

01 Aug 2011, 00:09 #2

Except that opening for "Over the Rainbow" isn't used in the MGM movie. It's only been used in sheet music and stage adaptations.

Angelo Thomas

01 Aug 2011, 00:11 #3

I said that already. "... but it is in ALW's production and in the Wizard of Oz songbooks out there."

SamofOz

01 Aug 2011, 05:04 #4

I think (a) it's just a coincidence
and (b) there cannot really, nor should there, be any comparison between the two songs.

I have not actually listened to the song, having been "LEAKED ONLINE RECENTLY", so until it actually gets an official release I won't have any further opinion.

Sharon

01 Aug 2011, 20:07 #5

I don't think there's any similarity.   They were wise not to try to create another Over the Rainbow.   In musicals with a heroine there's always what Stephen Schwartz calls "I want" song.    In his case, The Wizard and I.    Not seeing the Dorothy of Oz song in the context of the movie I can't tell if it's her home or Oz she wants to fix, or both.  But it's a song of longing and I think that's where the similarities end.   And while the new song is very pretty, there's no contest anyway.   Over the Rainbow will always reign.