'The Wizard of Oz' - Adaptation on YouTube.

Topics include Oz movies, stage shows and television from silent films and animated features to the 1939 MGM classic.

'The Wizard of Oz' - Adaptation on YouTube.

wizard488

05 Aug 2011, 20:29 #1

Hello everyone!

I was sure there was a thread for sharing Youtube video, but I couldn't find it.

I adapted 'The Wizard of Oz' (with my own twists and turns) and have placed it on Youtube. The actors are merely family members, helping me out, but I think it turned out pretty well. Any feedback is encouraged. 

Here is Part 1 out of 10:

http://youtu.be/oYeaN3ydHTw

Angelo Thomas

05 Aug 2011, 22:07 #2

This is cool actually!

CowardlyLion

05 Aug 2011, 22:26 #3

This is absolutely darling Image
There probably would be a thread for sharing this sort of thing if there were more creative people like yourself.
I watched it all the way through, and I found it quite charming. The "twists and turns" were not all that distracting, either. The girl who played Dorothy is adorable enough, as were all of the kids. I don't agree with you using the term "merely" about the cast, as that is sort of like saying that something is "set with mere diamonds." I did wish at times that they had had microphones, as I couldn't always hear all of their dialogue. Your special effects were very impressive, too, as were the sound effects. Good selection of music, which I hope wasn't a Copyright issue. I liked the fact that the shoes are silver, Glinda and Tattypoo are different characters (extra Kudos for knowing the Northern Witch's name!). I thought it was funny that the teacher's last name is Hamilton (as in Margaret) and that Grampa's first name is Frank (just like Baum's). I'm glad you put some actual thought and research into this production. You obviously cared about what you were doing.

Granted:
1.) I don't see why Dorothy lived with her "Mom" instead of Aunt Em, or
2.) Why there had to be cars in the street and that very noticeable microwave oven in Dorothy's house,
3.) Toto looked like the wrong kind of dog,
4.) The Wicked Witch did not have an eye patch.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment was the total omission of the Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion. I was very anxious to see how you would have handled that kind of special effects on a limited budget. But I still found the story quite true to the spirit of Baum's original and I actually found myself laughing--and even squealing--in all the right places. That having been said, I'll reiterate with what I started at the top of this post. This is absolutely darling Image

Angelo Thomas

05 Aug 2011, 22:59 #4

Okay, so I loved it. A few things to note here...
1. I think that the green effect used for the Wizard's Chamber should have been used for all of the Emerald City scenes. It looks far too much like a normal house, and making it green-er would've helped that.
2. If an adult played Scarecrow, that would be much better. And it would make it look more like a real film.
3. I also thought that the Kansas sequence went a bit too long for my taste.

Even though it is a home-made film, I applaud you for your work on those small special effects (the slippers glowing, the editing, the music, the Wizard's Chamber, etc.)

I think that if the entire Emerald City scene was edited to have a green tint, then it would be much, much better.

wizard488

05 Aug 2011, 23:18 #5

Thanks for watching guys! I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I know not having the tin-man and Lion is a drag. It was mainly because I couldn't find anyone willing to do it. The Green-Tint to the entire Emerald City Sequence-- I didn't even think about that! And, I do apologize I didn't have microphones. A nice, big, proper one is on my wishlist!

It was a fun project. I've made other films with my family. This one was our 'grand finale' and it's fitting, because 'Oz' is my favorite story and such.

Angelo Thomas

06 Aug 2011, 01:33 #6

You should be proud of yourself! Very nice work. The actors did a fantastic job for having little or no experience, too. I was surprised at how good it was.