The Flying House - What If?

General discussion forum about other Oz things not covered in the other forums. Misc...

The Flying House - What If?

SamofOz

25 Sep 2011, 04:07 #1

Toto jumped out of Dorothy's arms and hid under the bed and the girl started to get him.  Aunt Em, badly frightened, threw open the trad-door in the floor and climbed down the ladder into the small dark hole.  Dorothy caught Toto at last, and started to follow her aunt.  When she was halfway across the room there came a great shriek from the wind, and the house shook so hard that she lost her footing and sat down suddenly upon the floor, when Uncle Henry suddenly rushed into the house and caught his niece in his arms.
A strange thing then happened.
The house whirled around two or three times and rose slowly through the air, just as Uncle Henry got himself, Dorothy and Toto into the cellar.  The family watched as the house rose in front of their eyes and disappeared into the swirling dark clouds that was howling before them outside the safety of the hole they were in.  It was very dark and the wind howled so horribly loud that Dorothy thought she would nearly become deaf, but she found that she was safe in the hole with her family and dog.  The north and south winds met where the house stood, and made it the exact centre of the cyclone.  In the middle of a cyclone the air is generally still, but the great pressure of the wind on every side of the house raised it up higher and higher, until it was at the very top of the cyclone; and there it remained and was carried miles and miles away as easily as you could carry a feather.

In spite the wailing of the wind, Dorothy was safe and secure with her aunt and uncle and dog in the cyclone cellar.

. . .

The cyclone set the house down, sudden and yet very gently - for a cyclone -in the midst of a country with marvelous beauty with lovely patches of green grass all about, stately trees bearing rich and luscious fruit, banks of gorgeous flowers on every hand, a little brook way off rushing and sparkling between the green banks with a soft murmur and birds with rare and brilliant plumage singing and fluttering in the trees and bushes.
     Then a group of the queerest people ever seen approached the house.  They were not as big as the grown folk we are always used to, but neither were they very small.  In fact they seemed about as tall as Dorothy, had she been here, who was a well grown child for her age, although they were, so far as looks go, many years older.   Three were men and one was a woman and all were oddly dressed.  They wore round hats that rose to a small point a foot above their heads, with little bells around the brims that twinkled sweetly as they moved.  The hats of the men were blue; the little woman's hat was white and she wore a white gown that hung in plaits from her shoulders; over it were sprinkled little stars that glistened in the sun like diamonds.  The men were dressed in blue, of the same shade as their hats and wore well-polished boots with a deep roll of blue at the tops.  The men would have appeared as old as Uncle Henry for two of them had beards.  But the little woman was doubtless much older: her face was covered with wrinkles, her hair was nearly white and she walked rather stiffly.
     When these people drew near the house they paused and looked at the ground.  There, just under the corner of the great beam the house rested on, two feet were sticking out, shod in silver shoes with pointed toes.
Finally one of the little old blue men asked "Is she moving?"
The little old white woman looked, stepping closer, and waited.  She replied "No, I don't believe she is."
Another of the old men asked "What shall we do now?"
"There is nothing to be done," replied the little woman calmly.
Just then the little men gave a loud shout and pointed to the corner of the house where the feet had been lying.  The feet, you see, had crumbled to dust and blew away in the breeze, and nothing was left but the silver shoes.
"That is the end of her, then." spoke the little old woman, who then reached down and picked up the shoes, after shaking the dust out of them.
"What does that mean?" the last old man asked.
"It means that the Wicked Witch of the East is dead, and you Munchkins and your people are now free from bondage." explained the old woman, with satisfaction.  "She was proud of these silver shoes, and there is some charm connected with them; but what it is we never knew."
"I am glad that the Witch is dead, but what's to be done with the Silver Shoes?  We have no need for them, not knowing anything about their charm."
"As the Good Witch of the North, I will consult this matter with Glinda, the Good Witch of the South and see what is best to be done with these shoes.  It would not be safe for another sorcerer or witch to use these magic powers for personal gain or selfish means." the old woman answered.  "If nothing else is to be decided, I may keep one and she the other so that their powers cannot be so easily accessed.  Otherwise, we may throw them to the Deadly Desert and lose any chance of dangerous use from them."
The men, known as the Munchkins, nodded their heads, and looked back up at the house which had caused this change.
"I wonder how this odd house got here, or who sent it, perhaps?" they asked out loud.
"I can't say for sure," wondered the Witch herself, "but it must have been a powerful and noble sorceress."

- End -

CowardlyLion

25 Sep 2011, 18:03 #2

This is a "what if" scenario. As such, we are being given the opportunity to speculate as to what might have happened if Dorothy had not been in the house when it landed. To suggest an example: Since Dorothy never came to Oz, she never met the Scarecrow and he would still have been stuck on that pole. If that was the case, maybe some other character came along and helped him, and he had a whole different series of adventures. Gee, that would also suggest that he never went to the Emerald City, and thus the Wizard was still a fake! One could easily get a whole new book out of this scenario, if Sam intends to pursue it.
Last edited by CowardlyLion on 28 Sep 2011, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

magicianofoz

25 Sep 2011, 19:31 #3

It's more likely that "what-if" Dorothy had not gone to Oz, then Oz would never have been. So it's okay if Sam proposes this kind of what-if scenario, but if I write books about Oz where the Wizard, during his time back in the Great Outside (which Baum never spoke of what he did there), had a family, then eventually brings their prodigy to Oz, then that is somehow evil and wrong? You know, I could've wrote about cannibalism in Oz, but I didn't. I wrote about Love, family, truth, honor, friendship and those values which are rarely seen in today's books.

SamofOz

26 Sep 2011, 10:38 #4

CowardlyLion wrote:One could easily get a whole new book out of this scenario, if Sam intends to pursue it.
Well . . . I wouldn't exactly say I'd do that.  I'd be just as happy with that brief scenario, because as C S Lewis said "It is better to leave the readers wanting more, than giving them too much."

And if you give a little thought the rest of the story would turn out differently, the only difference being the Munchkins having their freedom, and nobody else liberated.

jaredadavis

28 Sep 2011, 00:50 #5

Hmmm...

And the Scarecrow eventually figures out how to lift himself off of a pole and begins walking down the yellow brick road, scaring small children.

Nimmee Aimee goes to the home of her old lover and discovers that he's still there...

A nervous young lion decides to face his fear of the other side of the great gulf once and for all.