My idea for Ozma series of books

General discussion forum about other Oz things not covered in the other forums. Misc...

My idea for Ozma series of books

lwhitehead

23 Jul 2011, 01:10 #1

Hi I'm planing to write a new revisonist verion of the OZ books and the main character is Ozma, she is an orphan tomboyish girl in 1900's America nick nanmed Tipp short for Tippy.

This version of oz is inspired by the Wicked book and Oz Dark and Terrible RPG, in this setting Dorothy didn't come to Oz Tip did in fact Dorothy is Orphan as well at the same Orphange that Tippy lives at.

It was 1905 before Ozma freed Emerald City from the Wizard's rule yes I protray the Wizardf as a Tyrannt.

LW

BrianCherry

03 Sep 2011, 13:27 #2

Sounds like an interesting idea. There's room for alternate takes on Oz in my opinion, I'd be interested to hear more about it as it comes along.

CowardlyLion

04 Sep 2011, 21:54 #3

Apologies in advance to all the fine Moderators who will have to do their duty and I demand no explanations when they do, and to LW, whom I don't actually know and thus for whom I hold no personal grudge.

I think I might have an equally novel idea: How about Oz stories that have been carefully researched and are as faithful as possible to the series that we fans have loved and appreciated since the year 1900? Wouldn't it be amazingly awesome if someone went that direction instead of yet another alternate version that shows no research into Baum, Thompson, etc. and therefore no respect whatsoever for the fans who have remained faithful to the continuing story for so many decades? Or is it just too weird and too far a stretch to think that Oz fans might actually still be interested in the Oz that has been plenty Ozzy enough for 111 years, and still are idiotic enough to believe that Oz is still valid AS OZ and that it needs no updating or adultifying or otherwise darkening beyond recognition? Hey: How about an Oz book that doesn't just drop names, but actually shows that the author knew something about the characters and their personalities/places and their cultures? Like, I know it's not normal to want it, but maybe an Oz book for people who for whatever psychotic reason DO want AN OZ BOOK.
Last edited by CowardlyLion on 05 Sep 2011, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

magicianofoz

07 Sep 2011, 17:59 #4

If this is how you feel #CowardlyLion, then perhaps you should really take the time to read the Royal Magician of Oz Trilogy. Magician of Oz, Shadow Demon of Oz and Family of Oz are all fine reads in my opinion and are based solely on the works of L. Frank Baum. There is nothing alternative in what I write. I may not write in Baum's unique style, but my style has some appeal and my stories are meant for kids of all ages who love The Wizard of Oz. I write of old, familiar characters and add in a few new ones of my own. In addition, although all three books combine into one larger story of Love, family and friendship, each story stands alone on its own and they can be read in any order.
Over the last few years, I've been criticized greatly, yet when I look at other takes on Oz that go in that alternate direction, sometimes with icky results, I stand by my writings and proclaim that my work does indeed follow the Oz line as Baum would have liked.

Marcus Mebes

09 Sep 2011, 12:23 #5

Hi James,

No offense to you personally, but I think Chris was referring to your books, among others. I recall that many of the characters you used were simply out of character from how Baum had established them. You changed so much about their fundamental natures (Glinda being in the "clique" with Dorothy and the other little girls, Polychrome being a winged servant of Glinda, the Lonesome Duck playing volleyball with others, Oscar Diggs leaving Oz to start a family) that your stories simply branched off and formed a completely different Oz than the Oz that folks came to know and love.

That's what hurts the most about books that the author pushes into publication without accepting proper guidance from a valid editor, or the benefit from research and appreciation of the series one attempts to continue... it seems disrespectful and hurtful to the fans when the new author claims that his or her book is in the vein of Baum (or later authors) when in fact it isn't. It honestly does hurt, like an insult.

I maintain that you're a very nice fellow. I'm afraid that I do not like your books, and sadly share that opinion with others. I do wish you would re-write them, because I love the idea of starting families in Oz, even though it upsets the status quo.

Also, being inundated with a theme over and over again (potato soup) is jarring and grating.

I hope you'll take my comments to heart, and not be immediately offended. In addition, this thread is not the place to spam readers about other things... This thread was originally LW's thread about his or her idea for an Oz story. Further comments should be posted in a new thread.

Thanks,
Marcus
Last edited by Marcus Mebes on 09 Sep 2011, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

lwhitehead

13 Sep 2011, 19:57 #6

Hi this is LW I didn't mean to cause a firestorm on this forum, but has anyone here read the Looking Glass War, that's type of duel timeline that I want for Oz and early 20th Century America and Ozma, the reason I want to protray the Wizard as a Tyrannt is this common sense and the era of late 19th century and early 20th century america.

LW

CowardlyLion

13 Sep 2011, 20:30 #7

@LW: The firestorm wasn't your fault. Some people just can't let things alone.

jaredadavis

13 Sep 2011, 22:30 #8

LW, a lot of us, though we prefer the Oz Baum wrote about, don't mind seeing a reinvention now and then. Maybe you could explain why you want to do it this way?

Jane

13 Sep 2011, 23:01 #9

Getting this crowd to hold hands and sing kumbaya is always a challenge.  Forge on...  Oz is big enough for just about everything -- I remember when we had Brahm announce his Toto would be a Rottweiler, and GreenDorothy serve up Dorothy Gale with a belly piercing -- but the circle of folks who are on here most frequently is a small one.  Once the dust settles you can generally get a pretty engaging discussion going. We're glad to have you.

CowardlyLion

14 Sep 2011, 00:38 #10

@Larry. It's true. We normally aren't as scary as it's appeared lately. I am very glad that my initial reply didn't scare you off. I hope we can discuss your idea here with an open mind.