Marcus: I suppose it's about time I introduced myself

This forum holds discussion archives of the board. Only Administrators and Moderators are allowed to post and usually the postings will be to save important messages or great fanfics! This will sometimes be open to the public to read, but not all the time.

Marcus: I suppose it's about time I introduced myself

Marcus Mebes

13 May 2011, 03:25 #1

As the title reads, I suppose it's about time I introduced myself. My name is Marcus Mebes, and I've been an Oz fan since about 1985. My family lived on a farm in a rural community, and I remember seeing the commercials on TV for Return to Oz. Though I had no hope whatsoever of seeing the movie (the nearest movie theatre was an hour's drive and a fortune away for a poor family like mine), I did occasionally get comic books from the grocery store in the nearest town. I kept up with as many issues of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew as I could, and when we moved to Tucson, Arizona--at last, a big city!--I was able to get CCAHAZC in the Oz Wonderland War. The afterwords in each issue were mind-blowing, revealing that there was an entire series of Oz books, as well as fan-written apocrypha and ephemera. Right about then the Del Rey Oz books were being published, and my mother got them all for me (over time), as well as Eric Shanower's Oz graphic novels.

I'm not a fan of the MGM film. I'll leave it at that.

I've amassed two Oz collections in that time. The first one was donated to a university library when I decided to give up on Oz. It's a decision I regret, knowing that my entire collection is languishing in that library's backlog, and will likely not be catalogued in my lifetime. Some books were stolen, some borrowed and never returned (same thing?) and in general it caused me a lot of misery... so I got rid of it. After a few years, I was able to amass a second--better--collection, though there are some treasures that I'll likely never get back or replace. The pride and joy of my collection are probably the two original Michael Herring paintings that were used for the covers of the Del Rey editions of Giant Horse of Oz and Yellow Knight of Oz, along with a lovely first edition of The Master Key autographed to me by Rob(ert) Baum, and the dummy proof of Toto of Oz, autographed to me by Gina Wickwar and Anna Maria Cool, including some of the original drawings of the illustrations.

I sometimes publish reprints of classic Oz and Oz-related books, as well as a few new publications, under my Pumpernickel Pickle imprint. I contribute to the Baum Bugle, and was the production editor for several years. Now though, I mainly help with covers, interior art, and proofreading. I'm the editor of the Oz Calendar and Christmas card for the Club, and am the new editor for Oziana. I enjoy helping people with producing new Oz books, but before you ask me for help, be warned: I'm an editor, and I'm strict and very demanding. I can be critical to the point of being harsh, and that's only to produce a better quality book. You can't get diamonds unless you squeeze coal really REALLY hard, you know.

I'm also very much into trading... books, comics, toys, etc. Two of my friends (a lovely married couple) own the biggest used bookstore here in town, and allow me to salvage their overstock, and occasionally I'll find an Oz book in there that I can pass along. I trade lots of books on paperbackswap.com and have found some rare Oz books there as well.

I'm here to help, as much as I'm able.
Last edited by Marcus Mebes on 13 May 2011, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

SamofOz

13 May 2011, 10:03 #2

Glad to have you on board! Image

jaredadavis

13 May 2011, 12:56 #3

Marcus is THE MAN!

marbpl2

13 May 2011, 13:38 #4

I particularly salute your Pumpernickel Pickle books and hope to see more reprinted rarities in the near future!

magicianofoz

13 May 2011, 18:52 #5

I gotta agree with Jared!

jaredadavis

14 May 2011, 13:02 #6

He is, he's a very generous man and can be very friendly. I already said he helped me a lot in collecting the rest of the Famous Forty. And I'm thrilled he's taking over Oziana!

SeanKoury

27 Jul 2011, 19:23 #7

I think I will also wait until I reach 400 posts before I introduce myself.  Image

SamofOz

28 Jul 2011, 03:43 #8

SeanKoury wrote:I think I will also wait until I reach 400 posts before I introduce myself.  Image
You don't have to . . .