MAGIC CLOAK OF OZ DELETED SCENE FOUND AND NOW ON YOUTUBE!!!

Topics include Oz movies, stage shows and television from silent films and animated features to the 1939 MGM classic.

MAGIC CLOAK OF OZ DELETED SCENE FOUND AND NOW ON YOUTUBE!!!

jaredadavis

29 Aug 2011, 23:05 #1

The uploader says it was on "a very old 35mm silent film... from a Bingoscope toy 35mm projector."

This scene, showing Rivette using the Magic Cloak, is not on the print that Warner Brothers put on their most recent DVD and Blu-Ray releases of the MGM film. At the end, it appears Jinnicky was putting on the cloak himself, suggesting more lost scenes.

SamofOz

30 Aug 2011, 00:16 #2

There she goes, flying without actually knowing how!

Uh-oh, I can see the little 'trick'.

David Maxine

01 Sep 2011, 00:43 #3

Actually there are several bits in the long version of the MAGIC CLOAK move that aren't on the WARNER set. I'm still unclear how many versions of this film exist. There is the one from the Baum family which had all the negatives from the generally know versions of the three films. Then in the late 1970s Ray Powell claimed to have bought a much longer version of the film and he was getting it transferred. Sadly Ray died while the film was being copied and to my knowledge no one knew where or who was transferring it and it was lost again. Then in the early 80s Fred Meyer found a version that was longer than the standard version which had a new spoken narration - this was still on 16mm not video I saw this at a Gillikin Con about 1982.

Then a few years ago a much expanded version of MAGIC CLOAK was shown at the last Ozmapolitan Con. Its a dark murky print but with scenes I'd never seen before stuff def. not on the standard video release. I THINK this is a print that Willard Carroll had acquired - possibly the one Ray Powell had lost or the 16 mm copy of the one with dialogue which had belonged to Fred.

I own a 16mm print of the standard short version as produced by Emgee films.

David Maxine

01 Sep 2011, 00:46 #4

And having just watched the new video clip you posted that seems to be in MUCH better condition than the murky print shown at Ozmapolitan a few years ago. I'm not even sure I recall that scene in that print - which clearly was still not the WHOLE film.

jaredadavis

01 Sep 2011, 01:01 #5

I would love to put together a DVD of all the footage, even if it just has a couple full versions and a bunch of deleted scenes.

SamofOz

01 Sep 2011, 01:49 #6

I should like to rip all 3 versions I have, take screenshots and show the differences and MAYBE edit them together too.   VIDEO is easy, But the sound is another matter of a problem for me . . . has to be from CD or downloaded video.

David Maxine

01 Sep 2011, 03:18 #7

Well since this film is silent - just dump all the soundtrack and add new music or leave it silent. I've been hoping someone would cobble all the bits together.

lowbarprods

08 Sep 2011, 23:42 #8

I think it's a great idea to try to recreate the master version, even if the sources vary in quality--maybe even run some restoration.  Not that I'm loaded with free time as a work-at-home parent of a toddler, but I'd be glad to work on it. I've always wanted to connect my film career and Oz a bit more.  Seems like such a natural for me but never combined the two.
Best,
Nate
Last edited by lowbarprods on 09 Sep 2011, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

jaredadavis

09 Sep 2011, 00:45 #9

I'd be interested in seeing what you could piece together, Nate! However, there's the matter of obtaining all the available footage.

EDIT: I found this page with information on all digital video releases: http://www.silentera.com/video/magicCloakOfOzHV.html
Last edited by jaredadavis on 09 Sep 2011, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

lowbarprods

09 Sep 2011, 04:49 #10

Most definitely, that's the challenge.  Obviously, the non-circulating is a whole other world to deal with.  But perhaps all of us on here can list the different versions they have (with running times and known differences they've noticed) and then possibly send me dubs of ones I don't have if they have material I need?  I have between 3 and 5 myself.  Sources may vary in quality, though wherever possible we'd pull from the highest available.  I have Warner Blu-Ray, Brentwood DVD (& VHS), may have Alpha (have to check), and a version I downloaded, though I can't rip Blu-Ray myself, and since that's the only of that quality level (unless someone telecines actual film!), perhaps DVD quality should be the target goal.  I already pulled down this deleted scene, but maybe the poster would send us a higher quality source file?