Latest news of Banner Elk

This is the place to ask about and discuss I.W.O.C. membership, conventions, publications, and more.

Latest news of Banner Elk

Jane

27 Jun 2011, 16:43 #1

Michael Siewert, (Judy Garland The Dressing Of a Legend) has generously stepped forward to share with our group selections from his wonderful Judy Garland Collection. His Sunday afternoon presentation will replace the similar program we'd been planning from NC native Charles Triplett, who has had to cancel. Michael has shared his collection with others in museums and exhibit venues around the world. This will be his first appearance at an International Wizard of Oz Club event. You can learn more about Michael's extensive collection of screen- and stage-worn Judy Garland gowns at his website, http://www.judygarland.com/

With Michael's wonderful offer, we're back on track for a fantastic Sunday in Banner Elk, NC.  Munchkin Margaret Pellegrini will make her first trip down this particular Yellow Brick Road -- what a thrill for us to follow it with her! We'll look at clips from MGM 70th anniversary events with Louis Berrillo, and Atticus Gannaway will introduce us to some of the Oz films currently in production. One of those projects, L. Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz, will be featured in depth as producer Sean Gates and members of his team join us from Virginia. And the short film Heartless will demonstrate what beautiful work Oz fans can do.

That's just Sunday! The rest of the weekend is incredible. Members of the original Land of Oz park cast lead the program Friday evening, retro performances on the Land of Oz grounds recreate much of that old Oz magic Saturday morning, and the Oz Museum is packed with original park ephemera and the largest MGM screen-worn costumes collection to be found. (Did you realize the original cast actually USED them?) That afternoon we'll look at Oz rooms kicking off with Jane Craddock, Oz tattoos with Fred Radtke and "Public Displays of Oz" with Ryan Bunch. Expect amusing Oz productions pulled together by Suzi Wallace Fire, and Karen Owens astounding collection of Oz pins. Bring something to wear in emcee Mike Lykin's Oz Fashion Show. Rick Ewigleben is creating an art piece for the event and Bill Thompson's Oz auction will add treasures to your collection. We announce the winner of the annual L. Frank Baum Memorial Award. Frankly, there's just too much to share in an email...

How could you be anywhere else Aug. 5-7 when you have this once-in-a-lifetime chance to spend the weekend in Oz?  Follow our Facebook page for updates and please note there if you're "attending" as other attendees are eager to know! Registration fees cover all your meals, programing, tickets, etc. We'd like to meet our caterers headcount deadlines; please register today! 

The registration form can always be found in the events section of our website --  -- or you can print the .jpg version below. Follow our Facebook page for other updates and news.

Jane

ImageImage
Last edited by Jane on 13 Jul 2011, 05:10, edited 4 times in total.

Jane

30 Jun 2011, 22:16 #2

Update on the update...  Michael's announced he's bringing 18 Garland gowns as well as some personal artifacts of hers he's never shown before.  He says it will be like no other show he's ever done.  Having seen him present his Dressing of a Legend program at both the Kansas Oztoberfest and the Chittenango Oz-Stravaganza, I can hardly imagine what an even stronger program will be like.  Such a treat for fans.

Jane

07 Jul 2011, 04:55 #3

Initially I was just pleased to know that the new coloring book Joe Shipbaugh and Rick Ewigleben put together would be available at the Banner Elk convention. Today I learn that the two artists have teamed up with Michael Siewert and John Fricke for their next project. That coloring book will feature gowns from Michael's Judy Garland collection, with commentary from John. What a terrific collaboration!

And less you Baum fans are feeling out of the loop, on a similar front, check out the new Dover paper doll book of Literary Greats. Our own LFB is included, complete with paper doll outfits of the fab four.

Jane

13 Jul 2011, 05:09 #4

IWOC Vice President called from the Club storage units where she's loading up cartons of Baum Bugles, books and other Club publications to bring to Banner Elk -- where they'll be sold for pennies on the dollar.  Bugles for 25 cents! Hard back books for $2! 

Bring your pocket change, folks. And see if you can't fill our missing back issues while the price is right.

(Thanks to Lynn for selecting materials for us and for personally footing the shipping bill.) 

jaredadavis

13 Jul 2011, 23:47 #5

Woo-hoo for Banner Elk! That was a hit for Winkies, so I hope the Club can really sell off more of their overstock!

Yes, I have no idea where I will put it all.

Jane

14 Jul 2011, 04:37 #6

I've also filled eight cartons with stuff I've had in storage that I no longer have room to store. A pulled a box of better things for the auction, but will put the rest of this on a table with a collection box and let people have what they want for whatever they're willing to donate.

With a little luck and generosity on the part of attendees, we might collectively drum up enough to provide the 2012 Macatawa convention with a little seed money...

marbpl2

15 Jul 2011, 13:31 #7

Is there anyone who can pick up Bugle back issues that I need?  I'll be gald to pay all expenses, including postage.  If so, please contact me via Yuku.

Jane

18 Jul 2011, 05:45 #8

Charlie Dale offered to bring his Judy Garland biography collection as well as some Garland ephemera, so we'll have some tabletop displays of material to complement Michael's display of her gowns. Other significant displays attendees are bringing include Barb Huddleson's Oz scrapbooking and Deb Dwyer's Oz embroidery. Karen Owens has an extensive collection of Oz pins, most purchased as souvenirs from years of attending events, and also plans to bring her Munchkin Convention scrapbooks. I'm working on displays about Etsy, a couple public Oz competitions... other odds and ends.  It's going to be a full room! Scott Hedley and Wally Krueger are in charge of decorating the Recreation Center for us. I'm looking forward to a little magic from that pair. 

We also have another programming Plan B that's likely better than Plan A...  Jane Craddock was set to show us images of her Oz house (yes, when her collection outgrew Oz room status she bought an entire second house just to hold it) but then major family health problems erupted in two directions and what's she to do?  Well, first off we needed to let her off the hook as a presenter.  But as a fan-focused program, how can we "replace" something as cool as her Oz house?  Easy peasy!  With Garry Parret's Oz museum!  The Land of Oz Museum in Wausaukee, Wisc., grew out of Garry's collection that never stopped growing. (Same story; different state.) Scott Cummings and Randal Hercey were just there with camera's clicking and will walk us through it. Garry has been unable to attend IWOC events for the last few years and is awfully pleased that he can share his collection with us this way.  Many thanks to Scott to cheerfully filling the gap!

A representative from a gallery that sells the Thomas Kinkade Wizard of Oz print also will be on the agenda just before of the Saturday auction begins because (drum roll, please) we've had a Kinkade Oz print contributed to the auction! We'll want everyone to hear the back story of this work before it's sold. 

And Sean Gates, who I consider "our" Sean when talking on these Forums, will be focusing his production team's presentation on their Wicked Witch of the West. You've all read about his film project, L. Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz, but this first-hand look from the creative team really ramp up the anticipation. The drive to Banner Elk is eight hours for them, so we've put them on the Saturday night program to make it as manageable as possible. Sean, Clayton, Marie and Jeremy all with us! Too fun. 

Jane

23 Jul 2011, 07:41 #9

We're still short of the goal to have 100 people registered for at least a day, but by the time the cast and Friday evening speakers are included, I had 108 name tags to design tonight. So it'll be a nice turn out and the crowd's large enough to feel like it justifies the work that's gone into this one. And a few more names are likely to jump in at the last minute.

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you there!  Jane

Jane

23 Jul 2011, 08:06 #10

PS  It's 3 am in Kansas City and 87 degrees out. The "feels like" temperature is 91.  In Banner Elk it's 64!  If ever I needed a mountain, this is the summer.