Land of Oz

Discuss the places, people and other Ozzy things in the Land of Oz itself. Look for info about Oz books, their authors, illustrators and contemporary successors.

Land of Oz

BJGlinda

13 Jul 2011, 00:56 #1

Is the land of Oz surrounded by sand or water?

Eric Gjovaag

13 Jul 2011, 04:15 #2

"Is the land of Oz surrounded by sand or water?"
From the very first Oz book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz:

Dorothy carried the shoes into the house and placed them on the table. Then she came out again to the Munchkins and said:

"I am anxious to get back to my aunt and uncle, for I am sure they will worry about me. Can you help me find my way?"

The Munchkins and the Witch first looked at one another, and then at Dorothy, and then shook their heads.

"At the East, not far from here," said one, "there is a great desert, and none could live to cross it."

"It is the same at the South," said another, "for I have been there and seen it. The South is the country of the Quadlings."

"I am told," said the third man, "that it is the same at the West. And that country, where the Winkies live, is ruled by the Wicked Witch of the West, who would make you her slave if you passed her way."

"The North is my home," said the old lady, "and at its edge is the same great desert that surrounds this Land of Oz. I'm afraid, my dear, you will have to live with us."

Yes, Oz is indeed surrounded by a desert. Later Oz books made the sands noxious or dangerous (in one book, a sign warns that the sand will turn anyone who walks on it to dust — which is actually seen in the movie Return to Oz). Oz is in the middle of an island continent that is, of course, surrounded by water.