Is the radio show out there?

Digging into something Oz-ish a little deeper? Here's a place to ask others in our community for their help.

Is the radio show out there?

Eric Gjovaag

18 Aug 2011, 23:45 #1

I've recently had the pleasure of listening to the BBC's recreation of the Marx Brothers' old 1930s radio show, Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, with very good impersonators portraying Groucho and Chico. (For obvious reasons, Harpo wasn't in the radio show, but I gather the sound effect creator for the BBC version was dressed as Harpo!) The reason the BBC was able to do this was because the scripts were copyrighted and filed with the Library of Congress, but never renewed. So they're now in public domain. This got me to wondering, could the same have happened with the 1933-34 Wizard of Oz radio show? I know NBC has copies of the scripts, but I think they're keeping them pretty close to their vests (why, I couldn't tell you). The trouble is, I'm in completely the wrong Washington, at the other end of the country, and have no way of getting to the Library of Congress to find out. So I'm wondering if some enterprising Oz researcher on the east coast could take a look some time? And if they are in public domain, do you think Oz fans would be interested in a recreation of the radio show, perhaps as a podcast?

jaredadavis

19 Aug 2011, 01:15 #2

Eric Gjovaag wrote:And if they are in public domain, do you think Oz fans would be interested in a recreation of the radio show, perhaps as a podcast?
YES.

CowardlyLion

19 Aug 2011, 02:24 #3

If all of the above checks out and you are able to do a radio show along the same lines as the Jell-O show that was hosted by John Fricke about a thousand years ago (I saw it at two different Club Conventions, and Eric Gjovaag was a HORSE in one of them. hehehehe), I would be very interested in getting a CD or DVD of it.

On the other hand, if it would constitute a Copyright violation, I wonder if the owners would just grant permission for it. It isn't doing them any good just sitting at the bottom of a drawer someplace. IF I remember correctly (a rarity these days), I *THINK* the Jell-O people actually gave permission to the Club (or at least John) with the idea. Believe it or not, NOT all Copyright Holders are surly tightwads.

Eric Gjovaag

19 Aug 2011, 02:37 #4

Cow (may I call you Cow?), it's all very preliminary and speculative, and nothing's going to actually happen for some time. The whole "Are the scripts at the Library of Congress and in public domain?" is just a start—a start that would make it a lot easier, of course. Perhaps, if that doesn't work, someone can approach NBC and/or Jell-O about actually doing it.