If Oz Had Police...

Discuss the places, people and other Ozzy things in the Land of Oz itself. Look for info about Oz books, their authors, illustrators and contemporary successors.

If Oz Had Police...

jaredadavis

27 Jun 2011, 03:14 #1

...When could a character call the cops?

This isn't limited to books, because the first one, my brother suggested from the MGM movie:

WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST: How about a little fire, Scarecrow?
TIN WOODMAN: That's arson AND first degree murder!

I also think Conjo's plans for Tom and Twink in The Shaggy Man of Oz would be breaking a number of laws...

SamofOz

28 Jun 2011, 11:24 #2

Read "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" pages 150-151, 153.

OR

[the Wicked Witch of the West] said to Dorothy, harshly and severely,
  "Come with me and see that you mind everything I tell you, for if you do not I will make an end of you, as I did of the Tin Woodman and the scarecrow."
They came to the kitchen, where the Witch bade her clean the pots and kettles and sweep the floor and keep the fire fed with wood.
  "You shall have nothing to eat until you do as I wish." said the Witch to the Lion, speaking through the bars of the gate . . . often the Witch threatened to beat [the girl Dorothy] with the same old umbrella she always carried in her hand.   Once the Witch struck Toto a blow with her umbrella.
    She placed a bar of iron in the middle of the kitchen . . . So that when Dorothy walked across the floor she stumbled over the bar.

At that moment a man and a woman, both wearing suits and carrying suitcases and holding papers clipped together.   "We are the SDA Delegates, and weare here on Juvenile Rights.  Union Rules dictate that children under 16 years of age are not allowed to do large amounts of work, and are to be given a small hand of dollars for minimal service."
    "Madame Threewu *, you have been charged with child labour with lack of care, proper use of safety equipment - no aprons, mask, protective gloves or supervision in areas involving fire - and asking said 'employee' to work without pay above the acceptable amount of hours,  animal abuse, physically assaulting animals, neglect of items being placed and direct threatening."

Dorothy ran to the people in suits, stamped her foot and pointed her finger at the old Witch, who was clutching something shiny in her bony hand.  "She stole my shoe, too!"

The Woman added that note to the papers, speaking softly "Also conducted Act of Theft . . . " and she tsked-tsked-tsked.

* "Threewu" = three Ws, i.e. Wicked Witch of the West
Last edited by SamofOz on 29 Jun 2011, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Strasheela

28 Jun 2011, 13:15 #3

Let's not forget that, by doing that iron bar trick, the WWW also lays herself up for a charge of child endangerment (Dorothy could have easily twisted her ankle when she fell, or broke her leg or a lot of other things).
    Of course The Good guys would be no less immune. Dorothy of course, could be liable for involuntary manslaughter (the witch), illegal immagration (does she have a visa or a green card to be in Oz) receipt of stolen property (theres no evidident the witch of the North has any legal title to the silver shoes, so there not really hers to give)  and bringing  potentially dangerous animals (the Lion and Toto) into a public area, removing an animal from the wild (though since the lion comes along of its own free will, this rather depends on whether Ozian law regards animals as having equal rights) letting a dog out without a leash, letting a potentially dangerous dog (toto does try to bite the witch so we know he is capable of violence) out without a muzzle. and probably failure to clean up after Toto (it was a long trip, there are probably many little piles now on the yellow brick road) oh and theft (the Golden Cap).
   The Scarecrow might be guilty of leaving his employ without two weeks notice (this isn't probably criminal, but is potentially sueable). Or givent the fact that Oz of this time recognizes slavery, the scarecrow may have comitted an actual crime, and Dorothy may have also just violated the Fugitive Slave Act.
   The Tin Woodsman may be guilty (depending on how old Nimee was at the time of his courtship) of Intent to Commit Statutory Rape. He is also guilty given how long he stood there rusted of extreme loitering, and once he joins up with Dorothy, theoretically of kidnapping (Dorothy is a child, and is away from her legal guardians without thier permission, and he is facilitating that, rather than turning her over to the proper authorities.) Actually all three are guilty of this, but I tend to think the law would regard the Tin Woodman (who at least was once a flesh and blood human being) as being more legally liable than an artificial person or an animal. If the WWE owns the woods, he may also be gulity of poaching timber.
   The North Witch is gulity of theft of course, and meddling in the affairs of a soverign territory without formal declaration.
   The Wizard could be brought up on fraud obviosly, Child endangerment, (sending Dorothy to kill the WWW in the first place, which is also Conspiracy to Commit Murder)kidnapping (Ozma)  etc.
I'm sure I could do a lot more, but I'm getting tired.         

Eric Gjovaag

28 Jun 2011, 13:52 #4

"Dorothy of course, could be liable for involuntary manslaughter (the witch)…"
Considering the means by which this particular crime was committed, wouldn't that be home-icide?

jaredadavis

28 Jun 2011, 14:45 #5

Eric Gjovaag wrote:
Considering the means by which this particular crime was committed, wouldn't that be home-icide?
ImageImageImage
Yes, it would!

Strasheela

28 Jun 2011, 19:42 #6

jaredadavis wrote:
Eric Gjovaag wrote:
ImageImageImage
Yes, it would!
Actually, since a lot of depitions have the witch's feet sticking out righ undert where the front stoop would be, it would actually be door matricide!

And actually now that I think of it not even Ozma and Glinda can get off with clean hands. Both are guilty of invasion of privacy and collecting private information on citizens without thier concent. Ozma (while Tip) also has theft to be added on (even if you argue that Jack was assembled from common property (i.e. that the pumpkin and wood belonged to Tip as much as they did to Mombi, the powder of life used to animate him was indisputably Mombi's property (which Tip not only uses without permission, he then proceeds to steat the balance of). As well as most of Jack's clothes If I recall his shoes are a pair of Tip's old ones, but all the others were ransacked from Mombi's hope chest.  
     And of course, Glinda has also meddled in the affairs of the rest of the Ozian areas. In fact by the time you get to somewhere in the Thompson era, the indiviuals on the thrones of every other area of Oz have been either appointed with the approval of Glinda, or with the approval of Ozma, who Glinda put on the throne (and who, as I have said before, I believe rules only with Glinda's sufferance). In a somewhat passive way, Glinda has basically invaded and conquered all of the rest of Oz and (once again through Ozma) Ev and possibly the Nome Kingdom (depending on whether or not you believe Kaliko the good version in most of Baum became Kaliko the bad version in most of Thompson). 

SamofOz

29 Jun 2011, 01:02 #7

Ozma being Charged with Under-Age Magic (even if that's more suited and from J. K. Rowling's world of 'Harry Potter')?

Dr Pipt the Crooked Magician Committed for conducting various potions in an unstable mixing method, without masks or proper room?

jaredadavis

29 Jun 2011, 01:24 #8

I'd imagine turning someone's uncle into stone might be a cause for a lawsuit...

SamofOz

29 Jun 2011, 23:33 #9

I'm guessing the Human Resources (that's not teh right name, is it?) would want to talk to Unk Nunkie about his lack of proper food and taking care of Ojo . . .

I don't suppose Nimmie Amee would be arrested for Adultery or going on the Rebound . . .

But what about Ku-Klip?  Does he have a permit or license to mix together and reassemble body parts that have been decapitated?

And I'm sure a Little Girl such as Miss Cuttenclip, no matter how old she says she may be, would arouse some concerns from adults about working with lots of papers and scissors!

Strasheela

30 Jun 2011, 01:41 #10

SamofOz wrote: I don't suppose Nimmie Amee would be arrested for Adultery or going on the Rebound . . . 

She couldn't be charged with adultery. Nimmie was never actually married to anyone except Chopfyt (being engaged is not the same thing as being married) nor, to our knowledge did she ever sleep with anyone except him. I suppose in theory you could claim that, if Nick and Fyters body parts still constitute them legally, by marrying Chopfyt, Nimmie has comitted bigamy but it would be a tough case to win. What Nick/Fyter might be able to charge Nimmie with would be Breach of Promise (if she was formally engaged to either of them) and under the laws of engagement, Nimme would have to probably return her engagement ring (if Nick or Fyter ever gave her one)