Great Waterfall vs Magic Waterfall

Digging into something Oz-ish a little deeper? Here's a place to ask others in our community for their help.

Great Waterfall vs Magic Waterfall

magicianofoz

10 Jul 2011, 02:10 #1

In The Scarecrow of Oz; chapter 22; The Waterfall, the waterfall near Glinda's castle is described by the Scarecrow as the "Great Waterfall." In Tik-Tok of Oz, the map of Oz, as reproduced by The Hungry Tiger Press, calls it the Magic Waterfall.

Which one is correct and why the discrepancy?

magicianofoz

09 Aug 2011, 22:52 #2

Since no one seems capable of (or willing) to answer my question, I'm going with "the Great Waterfall." When The Ozian Adventure of Pickleless & Blu comes out next year, don't nobody nag at me that I got it wrong. I did ask!!!

Eric Gjovaag

11 Aug 2011, 21:40 #3

(Ruth Berman asked me to put this reply up for her, and as always, I'm extremely glad to do so. So, here's Ruth!)

"Magician of Oz" asks why the Waterfall is "Magic" on the "Tik-Tok" and "Great" in "Scarecrow." I discussed this question in my article on mapping Jinx and Mo. (It appeared a year or two ago in the "Baum Bugle," if I'm remembering correctly -- my internet access is at work, and my "Bugles" at home, but I think I'm remembering correctly that it's been published and is not awaiting publication.)

Recapping -- it looks as if Baum completed the map published in "Tik-Tok" while he was in early stages of working on the book version of "Scarecrow." He knew that he was going to take the story to the realm belonging to Princess Gloria in the preceding "Scarecrow" movie (although the name is not used in the movie), and he accordingly put the realm, and a name for it, "Jinxland," on the map. J.L. Bell, in a 1998 Nonestica-group discussion of "Scarecrow," pointed out that Baum must already have drawn a draft of the map when he got to writing the visit to Jinxland in "Scarecrow," because the Jinxland woman who welcomes the Scarecrow's arrival tells him that Jinxland "is on the Map of Oz," which she couldn't have done if Baum hadn't put it there before having her say it.

And he knew that he was going to have a Waterfall involved in the action, but he hadn't decided how it would be involved. We don't see the Waterfall until the end of the story -- the Scarecrow mentions that he went by it on his way to Jinxland, but the narrative doesn't tell the events of the Scarecrow's journey out, and the Scarecrow in his account only mentions the Waterfall, with no details. The narrative at the end tells how he comes by it again on the way back, but no notable incidents happen then. It looks as if Baum changed his mind about how much he wanted to have happen at the Waterfall and was thinking initially that there would be (maybe early, on the way to Jinxland?) something that would show off some magic at the falls. But at some stage (maybe when he added Cap' Bill and Trot to the story, and used them as his point of view characters, so that the account of the Scarecrow's actions before meeting them in Jinxland became only as much as the Scarecrow tells them about his journey there, and not directly a part of the action), Baum decided not to use the Waterfall as so important a location, and not to have anything particularly magic shown going on there, and so called it the Great Waterfall rather than the Magic Waterfall in the narrative so as not to have to explain what was magic about it once he'd decided not to show magic going on there.

In terms of Oz-as-if-real -- the Waterfall probably is known both as the Great and as the Magic. Which name gets used depends on whether the speaker is thinking of its obvious size or its (perhaps less obvious?) magical properties. So "Magician" is in the clear for using either name as he chooses.

Ruth Berman

magicianofoz

12 Aug 2011, 02:08 #4

Thank you Eric for relaying the message and thank you Ruth for such a thoughtful and well-thought response. It's exactly what I was looking for!

As I begin the process of writing The Ozian Adventure of Pickleless & Blu, my intention is to use Chittenango Falls near Chittenango, NY as an entrance into Oz and the Great Waterfall as the exit point into Quadling Country. I'm also looking at Radium for lighting and perhaps a brief stop by Jinxland for the heroes. I'm not quite sure yet and I won't be until the chapter comes up and Her Majesty reveals the story to me.

She loves keeping me in suspense...