Dot & Tot In Merry Land Question

Digging into something Oz-ish a little deeper? Here's a place to ask others in our community for their help.

Dot & Tot In Merry Land Question

YukonEd

07 Apr 2011, 19:14 #1

Hi,

Around 2004 I started buying Dover Editions of Baum’s books at Barnes and Noble and I KNOW I saw a version of Dot & Tot in Merry Land but now I can find no record of it online. Anyone know what I saw? It was a faithful soft cover reprint with the Denslow Artwork.

Thanks!

jaredadavis

07 Apr 2011, 19:25 #2

Are you sure it wasn't the Books of Wonder reprint? The pictures in that were by Donald Abbot, who based his style (almost slavishly) on Denslow's.

marbpl2

07 Apr 2011, 19:26 #3

As far as I know, Dover has not published Dot and Tot of Merryland (yet, anyway). In 1994 Books of Wonder published an edited version (racial stereotypes removed) with new illustrations (based on Denslow's) by Donald Abbot.  According to Amazon.com, there is a 2008 hardcover edition -- I suspect that it has been taken from a (free) online text.  It is also available through Kindle. If you want to see the original text and illustrations, the second edition is available for downloading at http://digital.lib.umn.edu/clr-baum/assets/baudota.htm.