Contribution to the upcoming Oziana publication

This is the place to ask about and discuss I.W.O.C. membership, conventions, publications, and more.

Contribution to the upcoming Oziana publication

magicianofoz

15 Sep 2011, 18:44 #1

I would like to contribute a short story to the next available Oziana edition. Can you please elaborate on the guidelines and requirements for such a story?

James C. Wallace II
Last edited by magicianofoz on 17 Sep 2011, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

jaredadavis

15 Sep 2011, 21:58 #2

You should contact Marcus, as he's the editor.

Marcus Mebes

16 Sep 2011, 00:29 #3

Contributing to Oziana requires a strong knowledge of the Oz books by Baum (and successors, optional). What's not optional is that the characters conform to their depictions as set forth by Baum (and his successors) and not deviate from what he/they established, and that the stories be well written and unique. The author must be willing to have his or her story edited if the editor deems it worthy of publication. In some cases, heavy editing may be required in order to change a story to eliminate deviation from the established Oz canon. If the author is unwilling to change his or her story, they can submit it to any other publication of their choosing. The editor also can ask the author to completely rewrite a story until it's worthy of publication. One story in the 2011 issue was rewritten eight times in the span of a year. The stories in Oziana pass through the hands of four editors in total, and in some cases, the stories remain as written. In other stories, where the writing style requires lots of help, the story can be refined by the author, or they can choose to have the editors fix it.

Jane

16 Sep 2011, 00:58 #4

The Oziana page in the publications section of www.OzClub.org generally has a link to the editor for submission. Marcus role was just accepted last month, and his profile isn't even there yet, but the general like to feedback will be forwarded to him. (And yes, the webmaster has the info to get it updated, but he's busy staring in a play at the moment and hasn't added Marcus or the 2011 LFB winner profiles yet.) 

See http://www.ozclub.org/Winkie_Country_-_Oziana.html

Additionally, there's an Oziana page on Facebook, which it appears you've already "friended," James. 

CowardlyLion

16 Sep 2011, 15:38 #5

Marcus has already put some things into place, and I believe that the next few "Oziana" issues will be worthy of reading. It has been a long while since that has happened. I hope there will never be another entirely un-redeemable issue, but that will depend on what quality submissions Marcus gets.

Jane's post appears to have been hastily written (aren't we all sort of pressed for time in today's world?), but I hope that all of the updates will be made asap.
Last edited by CowardlyLion on 19 Sep 2011, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.

magicianofoz

21 Sep 2011, 22:16 #6

The key here is what is defined as unreadable. What's unreadable to you may be of great entertainment to others. Who has that right to decide what we may.. or may not, read?

This is part of the problem I wanted to debate, but that'll have to wait for another day on FB.

Jane

21 Sep 2011, 23:27 #7

In the case of IWOC publications, the appointed editor has total control over each issue's content -- be that Oziana, The Baum Bugle or anything else. His (or her, back when Oziana was edited by Robin) judgement is the only opinion. And it is final. 

The Club board is both prudent and demanding when it comes to finding qualified candidates for the volunteer position of Oziana editing. The individual we appoint is both empowered and trusted to assemble material we consider appropriate for our audience. 

Material they deem unsuitable for Oziana is, therefore, unsuitable for Oziana. Rejected Oz material that "others" might find entertaining is free to be made available for those other audiences at any author or illustrator's discretion.

Our standards have remained constant for more than 50 years and we are confident they will continue under the capable leadership of Marcus Mebes.
Last edited by Jane on 22 Sep 2011, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

magicianofoz

21 Sep 2011, 23:52 #8

I have no doubt that Marcus will serve his role well. I know Marcus is very demanding and meticulous, as he should be. The Oziana is in good hands. I look forward to the reviews of the Royal Magician of Oz trilogy, which I understand will be in the upcoming Winter issue of the Baum Bugle.
It was nice to finally receive a definitive answer from someone who actually matters. So often, I get replies from the peanut gallery instead of the elders.
Thanks Jane... Sorry I missed you in Chesterton!