Chris W. - Back to Oz

This forum holds discussion archives of the board. Only Administrators and Moderators are allowed to post and usually the postings will be to save important messages or great fanfics! This will sometimes be open to the public to read, but not all the time.

Chris W. - Back to Oz

cwarkala

03 May 2011, 01:32 #1

Hello all. My name is Chris Warkala and I've been a long time member of  the International Wizard of Oz Club. Some of you may already know me. For many years I was co-chairman along with my wife Sharon of the Annual Munchkin Convention in Harrisburg, Pa. and Princeton, N.J. Due to our work schedules we had to give up our roles as chairmen after 2006. Unfortunately no one took over and the Munchkin Convention has not been held since. I am truly sorry to see it has not continued. We both really enjoyed working with people like Jack Van Camp, Bruce Conklin, Karen Owens, Sean Barrett, Bill Stillman, Jay Scarfone, and Peter Hanff. We miss seeing all of them each year. Even though the Conventions were hard work they were always fun. I have been reading the posts on the website recently and saw alot of familiar names so I wanted to drop a note to say hello to everyone.    
Last edited by cwarkala on 03 May 2011, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

BlairF27

03 May 2011, 12:56 #2

Chris, there was a Munchkin Convention held in Syracuse in 2009 which was headed up by Kathy DiScenna.  Due to a variety of reasons, there seem to really be only two major conventions held each year now.  The Winkie and the rotating National Convention.  This year it will be in The Land of Oz, Banner Elk, NC.  Next year, it is hoped to be held in Lake Macatawa, MI where the Baums summered when they lived in Chicago.
Read the Daily Ozmapolitan
Research Oz Books at OzProject.egtech.net

cwarkala

03 May 2011, 19:38 #3

Blair, Kathy DiScenna reached out to us for her 2009 Convention and we gave her whatever help we could. I know how much work and planning go into the conventions and really admire people like David Maxine for all the hard work that he has to put in for Winkies to make it a fun convention for all. I would love to see Munchkin start up again but there really has to be someone that can commit the time and money involved with planning the convention.