Castles of Oz

Digging into something Oz-ish a little deeper? Here's a place to ask others in our community for their help.

Castles of Oz

Jane

09 Jun 2011, 18:14 #1

Has anyone ever written a paper or other detailed look at any castles in Oz? 

CowardlyLion

09 Jun 2011, 21:52 #2

I was just thinking about asking this myself. Many years ago, Melody Grandy had made an actual blueprint for Ozma's entire palace. I think it was eventually published in a BUGLE, but I can't swear to that. I do know for a fact that Fred Meyer had made a correction to her original drawing, stating that she hadn't made enough room behind Ozma's throne for a certain elephant to hide there.

If, in fact, this WAS in the BUGLE, can I get a copy from somebody? And if it wasn't:

That piece was NOT among the things she sent to me. I wonder if anybody else got it. I'm not asking to buy it or anything, but I would appreciate a private message letting me know that it wasn't ultimately lost or destroyed. I would still like to get a copy for my own reference purposes, if it's not going to be too hard to scan.

I wonder if there has been a similar project done for Glinda's?

Jane

10 Jun 2011, 01:17 #3

Do you still have contact info for her, Chris?  Wouldn't she know what's become of it? I haven't emailed with her for years and we'd never actually met, so I know I'm no help tracking her down. 

CowardlyLion

10 Jun 2011, 21:49 #4

I was rather hoping that someone involved on this forum would have it. I can send Melody a message, but I don't like to do that so much. I try to see it from her side. For example, I've been a vegetarian for many years now, and I wouldn't want someone from my old days coming to me asking if I still had a recipe for pork chops.

However, the last time she contacted me (and it's been a while), she was actually writing a new book about Zim Greenleaf. I guess that might mean she's not completely de-Ozified forever (though I don't know that it was necessarily going to be an Oz book).

I'll give it a try. No high expectations, though.

Jane

10 Jun 2011, 21:56 #5

Thanks Chris.

Since Castle Park, Michigan, where the IWOC met for years, will feature prominently into our 2012 Club convention, I'm circling the idea of having a presentation -- live or display -- about castles in Oz. I just don't know of anyone who's ever taken a blueprint, dollhouse, scan illustrations, write-like-an-architect, whatever approach to celebrating them. I can check my index to the Baum Bugle, of course but sometimes throwing out a question leads to a more interesting result.