OWFR expedition Blind River

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 27th, 2011, 7:43 pm #1

Folks we have a group of OWFR members heading up to the Blind River area and we are happy to report that we are going to try and do a realtime / neartime feed right here to the forum. As messages come in from our team they will be posted into this thread. If you wish to communicate back to the team, comment or ask questions, post them in this thread and we will see their response come in when possible.

We are dealing with a pretty rural area so communications may be limited at some locations. Lets wish the team the best of luck!!

When: April 28th to May 1st
Where: Blind River, Ontario

"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson

Peter Smith
Wise Owl

April 27th, 2011, 9:24 pm #2

The weather may not be too favourable,but we certainly want to get in there before the flies start, or the leaves for that matter. We checked the area last week, and the bush is very open right now. Visibility is good, even though the bush is quite dense.

There have been several Cougar and Sasquatch sightings in the area. We will be camping close to Bearhead Lake, where a daylight Sasquatch sighting was reported on the BFRO website. Hopefully, with the ground being very soft, and saturated right now, there should be an abunbance of tracks.

We will keep you posted.
Briver.jpg
?For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.?
― Stuart Chase

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 28th, 2011, 8:18 pm #3

As of 4:15pm, we are anticipating that Tim will arrive onsite this evening between 11pm > 12am, depending on the weather and other conditions. Tim will be reporting in once he begins his journey. The reports will be relayed here.

Jason
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 29th, 2011, 2:22 am #4

UPDATE -

Just got word from Tim just after 10pm - He is leaving his house and he calculates that it is approx. 168 km to the destination at Blind River. He estimates about a 2 hour drive, give or take.

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 29th, 2011, 2:59 am #5

Update - Tim is passing through Nairn Center. He is making good time. Light Drizzle.

And a few moments later.....Passing through Espanola. Noted in his message that it is VERY dark - cannot see the moon.
Last edited by Jason Goldring on April 29th, 2011, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 29th, 2011, 4:43 am #6

**ARRIVED**

Tim has arrived at basecamp. Bear spotted at the trail entrance. Conditions are average. While he is not at the exact basecamp location, he is about 300 yards away. Right now he is weighing his options as to whether or not he is going to stay with the bear being around, possibly approaching the vehicle while he sleeps, or move to another location for the evening.

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 29th, 2011, 5:17 am #7

Update:

Tim is getting ready to hit the sack. Needs to move about 400 yards away from base camp to send messge / get reception.

Next report tomorrow morning.

G'night folks!
Last edited by Jason Goldring on April 29th, 2011, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 29th, 2011, 2:38 pm #8

UPDATE:

Received word from Tim. Clear sunny sky over base camp. Night went well. Looking forward to the rest of the crew arriving. Perfect squatching weather.

Great to hear Tim!

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 30th, 2011, 4:49 am #9

UPDATE

Heard from the group. Big wolf tracks, porcupine caught up close and personal in a video...LOL.

Tim pointed out that it is a low to no signal area so reports will be scarce.

J

Jason Goldring
Wise Owl

April 30th, 2011, 3:02 pm #10

UPDATE

All is well - low signal reported. Audio recorded all night. Heading out now to do some exploring. Note that this was rcvd earlier in the day as we are having some text messaging delays with the phones going in & out of service.

Confirmation of reply: