What do you all think about coffee/caffeine?

What do you all think about coffee/caffeine?

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 29th, 2012, 2:18 am #1

Yes, no, sometimes?

Curious

March 29th, 2012, 4:19 am #2

coffee off cycle (sometimes). Tea I drink sometimes during the cycle (but only one cup in the morning). I know I am not supposed to but I got tired of depriving myself of everything. I gave it up for years, but then after I thought about it, I doubt that one cup of tea really is the reason for any of my failed cycles. Also, tea and coffee raise serotonin, so I figured that it balanced the negative effects of it. I tend to be on the lower side of serotonin (I think I am somewhere around 140, and 100 should be the lower limit from an immune issue).

bettygrace
bettygrace

March 29th, 2012, 9:09 am #3

Yes, no, sometimes?

Curious
I limit myself to one cup of tea a day and no coffee. I tried to cut it out altogether but honestly, my life's not fair right now, and depriving my self of one cup of tea a day felt one step too far.....I am British afterall....!

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 29th, 2012, 12:38 pm #4

coffee off cycle (sometimes). Tea I drink sometimes during the cycle (but only one cup in the morning). I know I am not supposed to but I got tired of depriving myself of everything. I gave it up for years, but then after I thought about it, I doubt that one cup of tea really is the reason for any of my failed cycles. Also, tea and coffee raise serotonin, so I figured that it balanced the negative effects of it. I tend to be on the lower side of serotonin (I think I am somewhere around 140, and 100 should be the lower limit from an immune issue).
I personally do not believe a cup a day of coffee, or even a few cups of green tea are a problem. I drink a lot of green tea. My personal belief is that a lot of coffee AFTER you are pregnant is not wise, but I do not think it will interfere with getting pregnant. I also asked Jill Blakeaway, and she said caffeine in tea is not a problem whatsoever, and no coffee at all, including decaf. So I mostly have tea, and coffee here and there (mostly decaf) when I get pissed off about all this and don't want to deprive myself. I assume Jill is basing this opinion on how it's done in China. I don't think they ever stop drinking tea there. And it just feels healthy, drinking tea. Recently, CBSgirl said she was drinking a lot of tea when she got pregnant. It's loaded with good tannins and antioxidants.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 29th, 2012, 12:59 pm #5

Of all kinds is okay BUT not coffee? What if I only had one 8 oz cup of coffee a day?

Not a big tea drinker but tried the past three mos

I can totally survive WITHOUT coffee I get NO headaches or withdrawal that is huge but I do notice a lag around 3pm when I do not drink coffee.

My spirits stay up more consistently when I drink coffee. Perhaps it is the serotonin regulation that was mentioned?

It is crazy though on another forum (actually two forums) I visit where the women are over 40 and have had difficulty TTC etc I am oftentimes surprised to find that there seems to be a "theme" of women that have given up, not trying at all or at their worst possible health state vs. going the way of a Fertility Cure type lifestyle and THAT is when they conceive.

Ugh. I do HATE feeling deprived and super Spartan.

Trying to find a happy medium here.

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm #6

But, honestly, I think a lot of this, the Infertility Cure, and such, is directed at women who have unexplained infertility. You don't really know where you are, you haven't been trying that long. No reason to think you are infertile, you have a child. If you can't conceive, it's age related, and caffeine likely has nothing to do with it. I would not worry about the one cup of coffee. It's not going to make a difference, IMHO. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion. I'd focus more on taking some ubiquinol, inositol and melatonin, and just try naturally or IVF. Personally, if I were you, I'd do IVF once or twice, and if no luck try naturally. But, I'd do it now, like next month. I personally know two people who had children at 45, naturally. I do not know anyone at 46, although one pregnancy, which was lost tragically at 6 months. Time is of the essence. There is one natural 47 on the high FSH board - but this is one in a very large amount (I won't say how much, because I'll be jumped on for not being accurate).

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 29th, 2012, 1:46 pm #7

But, I have not been having it for a long time before this. I'm just at the point of letting go and will be going back to caffeinated in two months or so. I do think the tea works well too for that 3 pm lull. Not a jolt, but works.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 30th, 2012, 1:51 am #8

You are right, I just do NOT know how big a deal one cup of coffee a day can be in the BIG scheme of things.

Like I keep saying, I am amazed at how MANY women report pregnancy after 43 when they are doing very LITTLE to prepare including drinking (and not just coffee) and eating terribly etc.

So who knows.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

March 31st, 2012, 12:57 pm #9

Yes, no, sometimes?

Curious
Thanks all for your insight (n/t)

Confirmation of reply: